Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should I train abs while bulking?

Hmm... It's weird how the machine is so wrong, but meh. I trust your judgement on that. I better get losing my fat then!!! And I do have veins showing in my arms o_O Cheers bro

I train abs 365 days/year, and that works well for me.

Your abs should already be showing quite a bit if you're 8% BF.

YES. If they're not already well-defined, then you either have a problem with the calculation of the body fat, or you might have an unusual proportion of body fat on the ab area and be very lean elsewhere. If that's the case, unfortunately, liposuction might be the only answer. But if I were you, I'd question the body fat measurement first. The only true measurement that I know of, as of 2011, is still the bathtub method. The electrical current resistance method (where you stand barefoot on a special scales, or hold onto metal handlebars, etc etc), is only a rough guess. I had a new experimental type of calculation done in January, with a CT scan. They were unable to give a number, as it was experimental, but it might be available later this year if it proves out with the AMA.

For reference, here's me at 5.6% last year (age 43). Below 6, not only should you see a 6-pack, but also the veins start showing. http://www.efbodybuildinggallery.com/showphoto.php?photo=51015&title=abs11-2010&cat=500

Charles

Ah, cool. Mine was a weird one where they stick kinda small gel pads on your body. And that's not very reassuring, lipsuction?!?!?

And how can you train Abs 365 days a year? You couldn't do that with legs, arms, etc., because it wouldn't give your muscles time to repair from hypertrophy o_O

Yeah, when I found out my estimated bodyfat from you the plan was: 'fuck it, i'll start cutting so I can get lean etc.' I'ma have to think about which option I take carefully, that is a very good point mate, cheers

Ah, cool. Mine was a weird one where they stick kinda small gel pads on your body. And that's not very reassuring, lipsuction?!?!?

And how can you train Abs 365 days a year? You couldn't do that with legs, arms, etc., because it wouldn't give your muscles time to repair from hypertrophy o_O

Reason for 365 days on abs for me, is that I don't want size as much as tone. I do 150 standard crunches + 100 each side for obliques. 1 set each. I do weighted abs (on a machine) 2 days/week or so, just to fool them and keep them ready. But I tend to get a larger overall torso if I get bigger abs, and I have small legs, which look even smaller if my torso is bigger.

Don't jump to the lipo thing yet... My wife, who is in excellent shape Karate brown belt, and a retired motocross stunt girl, has 8-9% body fat, (about perfect for her), but had to get lipo about 10 years ago because she had a layer of fat on the abs that just wouldn't go away, even when she was down to 98 lbs at 5'7" tall. Of course we men have a hormone advantage over women with body fat loss ability, as long as our hormones are working right, so it's much more likely that you wouldn't need to go the liposuction route.

Charles

Ah, lol, each to their own I suppose. I guess my hormones are not working right, hence the gyno, but we will see when I start losing more weight!! Cheers bro

everyday is ab day... whether working em out directly cardio or in the kitchen get it right!

Ah, lol, each to their own I suppose. I guess my hormones are not working right, hence the gyno, but we will see when I start losing more weight!! Cheers bro

I wouldn't recomend cutting for you just yet. No offence but you just don't carry enough muscle mass to look the way you probably want to while lean.

I also wouldn't recomend "bulking", yes your goal may be to gain muscle but instead of taking the typical bulking idea of shovelling lots of (usually bad) food down to push your daily cals high enough to gain weight, I would say you should eat a clean realistic diet (nothing too crazy) and do some hard cardio once or twice a week. Tweak your food intake if your not gaining size after 4 weeks or so. I don't mean to eat like a girl but don't go crazy force feeding yourself because you will end up getting fat and be back at square 1. 2500-3000kcal could be a good place to start.

I also wouldn't recomend training abs (or any muscle) every day.

Despite bulking or cutting I think you should train your abs. They are apart of your core. Would you ask the same question about your chest, biceps, quads etc? No, cutting or bulking they are a muscle group that needs attention. And an important one at that.

Top Bottom