Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A reply about a mass program from another board.

b fold the truth said:
I'd either do the squats OR the box squats. I could find a lot of reasons why I would NOT do the leg press...like say maybe a set of SLDL's.

If you have worked hard enough on the squats and box squats...you shouldn't need the leg presses...that is for sure.

I wouldn't like this routine for many reasons for myself...but I don't have the same goals as anyone else here either basically.

B True

B-
could you explain what you see wrong with this according to your goals?

Debaser said:
Okay now I'm simply starting to question your intelligence. You wondered how someone could put 100 lbs on your squat in a year with this routine, and now you're saying putting on 5 or 10 lbs is POINTLESS?! Quick math for you:

2 lbs a week, times 52 weeks = 104 lbs in a year.

If you can put 5-10 more lbs on every session on a lift, you're either juicing or your form is becoming exponentially worse every time you lift. And you're saying that going up this "little" is pointless? But, at the same time, you wonder how you could add 100 lbs to your squat in a year. You've either got a fucking screw loose, or you need to rewrite what you posted so that it makes sense.

Have you ever talked to guys who always add a 2.5 or 5 or 10 to a side? For the most part i have and they are pissed because they didnt grow. For big muscle groups i dont think that this little of an increase in weight is very noticable. I have no doubt that some guys can get away with this and do alright, but i just dont see very many that can do this. This 2lbs a week thing for 52 weeks is very easy to say, but how many people can actually do this?

Damn i must have a screw loose then. If i had the chance to train with you, you would be quite suprised at my intelligence level, including training, books, and common sense/street smarts.

Whoever stick to a workout thats within his recovery capacity WILL get stronger each session, be it 2 more reps or 2 more pouds for the same reps.

Even Poliquin (a "volume" guy") said "if you´re not going to the gym to improve next session, dont even leave your house". That means, there´s no advantage in using the same weights over and over and over.

cwick0 said:
Have you ever talked to guys who always add a 2.5 or 5 or 10 to a side? For the most part i have and they are pissed because they didnt grow. For big muscle groups i dont think that this little of an increase in weight is very noticable. I have no doubt that some guys can get away with this and do alright, but i just dont see very many that can do this. This 2lbs a week thing for 52 weeks is very easy to say, but how many people can actually do this?

Damn i must have a screw loose then. If i had the chance to train with you, you would be quite suprised at my intelligence level, including training, books, and common sense/street smarts.

I've added small amounts of weight nearly every session. I've been training for about 2 years and have gone from 165 @ about 14% to currently 210 @ 10%, naturally.

But I guess this stuff doesn't work. You might want to tell that to all of the people having astounding success using DC training, HST training, and anything similar, to stop adding weight to the bar every time they lift.

I am not sure how adding small amounts of weight doesn't work, how do you just jump up 30-50lbs on a lift when your body is not accusomed to the weight, or anything close. I would think small incriments of weight would also make stabilaztion much easier and especially keep your form better. But we all have different ways of doing thigns, and most work to some degree or another.

example of some guys bench routine:
135 x whatever
145 x whatever
155 x whatever

or
135, 150, 160.

I try to get these guys to start with a light warmup of 95lbs, that way they can go up 20lbs a side.
95 x 10
115 x 10
135 x 10
155 x 10, or as many as they can.
then go to 175.

I truely believe this is why a lot of guys can increase their weights a lot.

I am relatively big, so as i have gotten bigger, i have a bigger increase between my sets. At one time i use to only go 20 increases, now its 40-50 at a time on my big muscle groups. However, like lat pulldowns, i only go in 20lb increments.

wnt2bBeast said:
B-
could you explain what you see wrong with this according to your goals?

I look at every routine as a weakness and strengths analysis. If it doesn't build the base of strength as well have a focus on weaknesses, it isn't going to be effective and efficient. It is a business plan.

If you run a Fortune 50 company, you look at what your biggest weaknesses are in the company. You start to plan around those weaknesses and come up with ideas which will either reduce or eliminate them. When you put that into play, you do not want to reduce your strengths in the process. Same with training.

Have a goal, find your weaknesses, realize and capatalize on your strengths.

This program doesn't do much for me as it does not focus on any weakness. I don't see good mornings, clean and jerks, the use of accomodating resistance or other methods for explosiveness, or any great emphasis on the BIG CORE STRENGTH movements (lots of squats, bench, ohp, deads, etc...).

I am an athlete. An athlete should not be concerned with what he looks like...only how he performs on the field. This routine will not cut it.

B True

b fold the truth,
what a perfectly spelled out post. I could not have said it better myself. Not to mention i hate all the beach muscle boys in the gym.

cwick0 said:
example of some guys bench routine:
135 x whatever
145 x whatever
155 x whatever

or
135, 150, 160.

I try to get these guys to start with a light warmup of 95lbs, that way they can go up 20lbs a side.
95 x 10
115 x 10
135 x 10
155 x 10, or as many as they can.
then go to 175.

I truely believe this is why a lot of guys can increase their weights a lot.

I am relatively big, so as i have gotten bigger, i have a bigger increase between my sets. At one time i use to only go 20 increases, now its 40-50 at a time on my big muscle groups. However, like lat pulldowns, i only go in 20lb increments.

God I wish you'd re-read your posts on this thread and realize how they make utterly NO SENSE AT ALL.

We're not talking about adding 5-10 lbs EACH SET. We're talking about adding small amounts of weight EACH SESSION YOU TRAIN.

And why the hell would you use your example for benching? 135, 155, 175 all for 10 reps? Why would you use weights so close to your max if they're just warmup sets? A MUCH better example, not to mention the example presented by the routine in this thread, would be this:

100 lbs x 5
150 lbs x 3-5
200 lbs x 6
200 lbs x 6

debaser,
It's quite obvious we havent been on the same page the whole time we have been arguing.

I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with someone increasing the weight each time they go to the gym. That should be everyones' goal. I always try to increase the weight, but i dont necessary monitor it on a weekly basis, more on a 3-4 week basis to see if i have improved. People can have good and bad weeks, so that is why i watch the trends instead.

Top Bottom