Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Putting together a training split

SteveMobsterG

EF Logger
There's an occasional suggestion by the inexperienced that designing a split is in some way complicated. Trainers and coaches make some of their fees putting together such programs. But, maybe cos I'm experienced, a fairly simple process.

One of our members says they are a student. They wish to focus on arms. So let's sit down and go through the questions I'd ask if they (or indeed you) was a client. The answers you'd give will help you put together your own training programs.

Start with the number of times a week you can train and the time of day. The average is 3 times and I'm gonna suggest proper training should be limited to 5 days. You can, if you absolutely must, do active rehab (physio, stretching etc) on the other days.

You should train the whole body. We don't want any of our Elite members to 'miss leg day' as per many a meme ha ha. Let's say our member selects 4 days a week. Mon and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

A very simple arm focused split would have Monday as upper body session - chest/back and shoulders. Tuesday could be a bicep/tricep workout A, Thursday would be a lower body session - quads, hams and calves. Friday would be another bicep and tricep session workout B

The science of it, such as it is, is that nothing is neglected. You've three days rest inc a break between upper and lower body parts and between both arm workouts.

We can get into the whole sets, reps and exercises but here's the thing. Unless you've never trained you'll have half an idea of what works. For most a selection of of three exercises per body part for about 4 or so sets x 8-12 reps is supported by a bunch of studies. Coaching I'd look at your training diaries and see what made the most progress and what did not. That gives me an indication of what will work in any new split.

Key is, of course, to absolutely work any program as HARD as you possibly can. Yes you can shock the body by doing something crazy like a 100 reps or 4 drop sets and so on. But, for the most part, the above holds true.

On the actual arm workouts you could, for example, do a bulk and shape workout. Here's two very simple ideas:

Workout A - bulk
Bicep - heavy ez bar curls and hammer curls
Tricep - dips and french press

Workout B - shape
Biceps - concentration curls and seated dumbbell curls
Tricep - Reverse grip cable tricep extension and overhead dumbbell extensions

Nothing here is overly complicated. Even training splits online can be easily adapted if you use the parameters I suggest at the beginning.

Top Bottom