Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Olympic Lifts To Change Up Routine and Help With Fatloss???

rykertest

Hello all, in an attempt to shake things up in my workout routine, and to leave more time for cardio, I am looking at a routine I came across. Kind of like the 5X5 or 3X3 I guess, but not really. lol If I did this every 2 days, or maybe 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off, etc, etc, how would this be as part of a CLEAN cutting routine?

Workout A - High Pull and Front or rear squats (alternate squats every week)

Workout B - Snatch grip jump shurg and push press

I would do 5 sets of 10 with 1 warm set of each after 10 minutes of cardio warm up and then 30-45 minutes of cardio after. I would rest for 90 seconds between sets. The goal is fat loss and a system wide response with VERY little free time for the gym.

For example,

Workout A on Monday (followed by cardio),
Workout B on Tuesday(followed by cardio),
Wed cardio only or day off?????
Workout A on thursday (followed by cardio)
Workout B on friday, (followed by cardio)
Sat cardio,
Sunday off.

Thanks for any feedback you guys can provide.

I have done a traditional 5x5 while cutting - did it on about 2200 cals a day and had great results. For my body type, which is stocky by nature, I burn more fat on a routine focusing on compound lifts.

I think 5x10 reps is too much. That would be 50 reps on squats and so on.................

al420 said:
I have done a traditional 5x5 while cutting - did it on about 2200 cals a day and had great results. For my body type, which is stocky by nature, I burn more fat on a routine focusing on compound lifts.

I think 5x10 reps is too much. That would be 50 reps on squats and so on.................

sounds like we have the same type of build. I can gain muscle very easily, but along with that blessing is the curse of fat. My goal here is to gain SOME size and strength but more focus on losing fat. Would 3 sets of 10 with a warm up of 10 be good?

This is one of those difficult questions to answer because people just have many different physiological responses. I'd say 3-4x10 would work well for most people. I, on the other hand, burn fat better lifting on the lower rep range and I know I'm far from alone on this.
I think the more critical factor is intensity. If you're doing 10 reps there's no excuse for going past 90sec. rest. If your going heavier, you get a bit longer.
Just keep things moving, maybe do some light/med. plyo instead of your normal warmup / stretching.

fortunatesun said:
This is one of those difficult questions to answer because people just have many different physiological responses. I'd say 3-4x10 would work well for most people. I, on the other hand, burn fat better lifting on the lower rep range and I know I'm far from alone on this.
I think the more critical factor is intensity. If you're doing 10 reps there's no excuse for going past 90sec. rest. If your going heavier, you get a bit longer.
Just keep things moving, maybe do some light/med. plyo instead of your normal warmup / stretching.

thanks for the reply man. I guess my thinking is that since I am doing cardio 5-6 days a week for fat loss, then I should cut back on the heavy lifting and go for a lighter higher rep workout? I guess my thinking is that while it's not easy lifting, I still have to be intense, the pace is faster and the reps higher, the rest shorter so that will help with maintaining my current muscle and not overload my legs especially on cardio. Is that a good direction or am I missing the mark?

Yeah, you'll likely be OK. There's nothing written in stone. It mostly depends on what your present conditioning is like. This will determine how much workload you can handle. There's going to be a learning process while you get a line on what's going to work best. What you have planned seems a reasonable place to start. If you're planning on running this more than a couple weeks you might want to think about rotating in a mini heavy cycle just to keep the fires lit.

fortunatesun said:
Yeah, you'll likely be OK. There's nothing written in stone. It mostly depends on what your present conditioning is like. This will determine how much workload you can handle. There's going to be a learning process while you get a line on what's going to work best. What you have planned seems a reasonable place to start. If you're planning on running this more than a couple weeks you might want to think about rotating in a mini heavy cycle just to keep the fires lit.

I was thinking of running this for 3 months. Maybe I could extend it to 4 and have the 3rd month be a heavy heavy routine and then back to a ligher faster paced routine for the last 4 weeks? Thanks again.

If you're trying to cut fat and stay strong why not just lift in the lower rep range for strength. Your fat loss will not come from lifting it will come from what you put in your mouth and how many calories you burn .

Top Bottom