Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Carb Intake ???

Cubanito17

OK guys there is always talk about how much protein you can intake in one serving within 2 hours I've heard anywhere from 30-50g.

Well no one ever talks bout how many carbs you digest in one serving within 2 hours. Is there any limit??? Or your body just intakes them all????

Thanks for any advice.

that depends on the person..bdy wt etc...if your attempting to cut weight, gain...if im cutting weight, i can usually get away with eating 70-80 grams of good carbs a meal(every 2 hours)..then i take in 14 grms of good fats (flax seed oil) how much do you weigh, and what do you want to do with your body weight, and how old are you..maybee i can help..

Depends on the individual, size, hydration levels, activity level, etc.

Also, post-workout, it will depend on type of workout, muscles utilized, volume etc.

And no, there is no measured or calculated average of the amount of any macronutrient that can be utilized.

Experiment. If you are getting plenty of protein, a few decent fats, without an excess, you can rotate your carbs based on activity level. There are thousands of posts by Spatts on this very subject on the women's board.

the traditional research on how much protein can be absorbed at one sitting is outdated. with newer style proteins, not as much digestive enzyme is required, and therefore the newer protein supplements can be take in larger quantities.

Also, common sense dictates that an extremely large person will be able to use more protein than an average size one. All the enormous bodybuilders these days are taking in close to 2g/lb of bodyweight of protein. we can learn some things from bodybuilders.

with carbohydrates, the question becomes a little different. you will digest and 'use' essentially all carbohydrates you consume. the problem lies in what type of carbs you take in. remember all carbs are ultimately broken into glucose, some faster than others (re: glycemic index). if you are actively requiring this energy, the carbohydrates will be used to fuel this need, otherwise, your body will store this glucose as fat for later use.

i know i have skipped the scientific mumbo-jumbo, but i hope it helps you get the point.

/irish

Well like Irish and Arioch said, it varies with the individual. However, you should try to split it up evenly over the entire day, so this is how i look at it:

If you need at least one gram per pound, and i think you are right around 200 lbs, then if you eat 6 times daily (which is 12 hours of eating in one day if you eat two hours apart like you said), then try to get at least 29-30 grams of protein per meal. But, Irish also pointed out that BBers sometimes take in more than 2 grams per pound of bodyweight. I think this is excessive due to money and simply that there isn't evidence that taking more than one gram per pound is beneficial (to strength). Usually the more protein you incorporate and proportionally less carbs you take in, the more you slim down.

Personally, I eat about 200-210 grams per day and I weigh 151 lbs as of 2 hours ago. I usually try to get at least this, but I don't cry about it if i go overboard or don't make it. I just try to keep pretty consistent. I eat about 6 times a day (meals, not snacks like little debbies), and so i get around 30-35 per meal. Usually i take in more toward bed time and less in the morning, and vice versa with the carbs.

As for the carbs, you can eat as many as you want after you get the protein you need. Though, going overboard on sugars and refined shit will tend to add fat and cause energy level peaks and valleys.

I forgot to mention, post workout nutrition is different all together. It isn't AS big of a deal for some powerlifters (with all the scientific whey and dextrose), but i still incorporate a good post workout meal into my diet. An excellent article you should read on this is posted on Par Deus' site. Here is the link:

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/main.html

Go to the archive of articles or whatever and select the fifth issue. It is in there.

I hope this helped.

My cutting and bulking diets. I rotate carbs based on AMR. Protein and fat ALWAYS hold steady at 400g and 35g respectively, and the carbs increase or decrease on a day to day basis to determine overall caloric intake. The rotation is low to cut (150 on high days and 50 on low days) and higher to maintain or gain (100 on low days and 250 or more on high days).

http://home.swbell.net/arkaynen/cutting.htm
http://home.swbell.net/arkaynen/bulking.htm

The one that shows a shake first thing in the AM is also missing a bowl of oats. Need to fix that. I can NOT lift without my oats. LOL. I rarely use shakes or bars...shakes post workout, otherwise I'm an advocate of whole foods. Where you see "shake or tuna" things like that, it's because I only have one shake a day MAX (usually just post workout), and then if I'm maxed out on that one, the choice is food rather than a shake.

Right now, I'm not trying to "cut," so I generally eat about 75-100g CHO on non-training days, and about 150-200 on training days. All complex prior to the workout and all fibrous after. Also, when calculating carbs, subtract the fiber. For example, if 1/3 cup of green beans has 7 g CHO and 5 g Fiber, that really only counts as 2 g of CHO that can be converted and stored.

Last edited:
Spatts, I have never seen this come up, but do you base your carb intake on anything besides activity level? IOW, as your bodyweight changes, do you adjust it at all, or make up the difference (assuming there is much of one) in your BMR, or just go by AMR and adjust carbs according to your goals at the time?

Oh, yes. I suppose that would be a solid detail. Right now, I use my BMR, calculated at LBM x 10. That's about 1450...give or take. I use 1400 to make the math easier. Then I add projected daily expednature to that to reach AMR.

I need to have a new bodpod/hydro done. It's possible that my BMR has gone up due to my LBM increasing. The numbers still WORK for me though, and that's the most important thing, I suppose.

Thanks for the responses guys.

MY stats are 17(18 in 20 days) I weigh as of this morning 196lbs, I'm 5 8, 5 9 with shoes on.

I normally don't watch my carb intake and try to get in at least 30g of protein per meal. BUT really I don't understand something now that I look at you guys how you only eat 30g/protein per meal or so HOW do you get in 5,000 cals/day then. Is your fat the same or more than the amount of protein you take in or something.

OK Lets say I'm lookin for a diet I don't care the amount of cals, BUT shouldn't I be getting in 200g/protein/day and I know for 1g of protein you need 2g carbs( this might be BB not sure but I read it somewhere) and fat whatever amount I get that day. Would that be good if I was eatin 5-6 times/day

I get 300-400, usually about 350, and I eat every couple hours from dawn to dusk...sometimes 6 times a day, sometimes 10. Depends on how long I'm awake.

Top Bottom