Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Would you eat horsemeat? Its lean and high in protein

Would you eat horsemeat if it was available like chicken, pork or beef at the store?

• Total voters
HumorMe said:
I ate some elkabobs the other night and they were great. Don't kow if I could eat horse though.

now thats the question I am asking, what is [it] that may prevent you from eating horse or other meats you have learned were taboo?

BrothaBill said:
no Im not trying to bicker, I am just trying to move a discussion along by asking probing questions to flush out people's views.

The key thing I am driving at is what judgements or criteria people use to decide which animals to eat.
People make fun of Hindus for not eating cows for example or other xenophobic tendencies.

For purposes of the discussion I am trying to get past reasons people come up with to get to the heart of the matter. The issue of toxins is not what I am interested in talking about, if you like we can say just say hypothetically all the animals have been farm-raised on the same noncarnivorous diet and as I told Redguru, I want to move past issues of "taste" as a reason as well.

Should we allow all animals to be used for food in the US or should we make some animal meats illegal? How would you define the criteria that should be used to determine which animal meat is allowed?
Take it as I'm saying it, this discussion is sorta silly in a country where it's illegal to grow a perfectly useful industrial/food crop like hemp, I'm sorry. Hemp and marijuana are NOT the same plant, botanically related, but NOT the same ... why is alcohol legal and smoking marijuana is not but tobacco is, c'mon we live in a country of hypocricy and flat out unreasonable prejudices.

For me, logic is pretty simple, carnivores do not eat carnivores, wolves do not eat weaker wolves, cougars do not kill and eat wolves, lions do not eat cheetahs and hyenas. Kill, that's different, EAT, uh uh.

Why do carnivores choose not to eat other carnivores? Because the meat smells bad.

"Man-eater" are anomalies in the animal kingdom. Humans smell and taste like shit, for the most part to animals with keener senses. We offend them -- yes I know this as a fact so there :qt:

You wear predators, you eat herbivores, that's the way of nature.

My barn cats would not eat rats (those really big muthers with bodies nearly 12" long) they would tear their throats out but they would not eat them, they left them for us to find. They ate field mice, birds, and baby rats, but not big rats, not even the stomach. Mother nature ain't stupid, there's an old saying that cats won't drink bad water either ...

BrothaBill said:
now thats the question I am asking, what is [it] that may prevent you from eating horse or other meats you have learned were taboo?

It would take a lot of coaxing for me to eat a slab of horse. Mental block.

musclemom said:
Take it as I'm saying it, this discussion is sorta silly in a country where it's illegal to grow a perfectly useful industrial/food crop like hemp, I'm sorry. Hemp and marijuana are NOT the same plant, botanically related, but NOT the same ... why is alcohol legal and smoking marijuana is not but tobacco is, c'mon we live in a country of hypocricy and flat out unreasonable prejudices.

For me, logic is pretty simple, carnivores do not eat carnivores, wolves do not eat weaker wolves, cougars do not kill and eat wolves, lions do not eat cheetahs and hyenas. Kill, that's different, EAT, uh uh.

Why do carnivores choose not to eat other carnivores? Because the meat smells bad.

"Man-eater" are anomalies in the animal kingdom. Humans smell and taste like shit, for the most part to animals with keener senses. We offend them -- yes I know this as a fact so there :qt:

You wear predators, you eat herbivores, that's the way of nature.

My barn cats would not eat rats (those really big muthers with bodies nearly 12" long) they would tear their throats out but they would not eat them, they left them for us to find. They ate field mice, birds, and baby rats, but not big rats, not even the stomach. Mother nature ain't stupid, there's an old saying that cats won't drink bad water either ...

I think we are going in two different directions here.
I am trying to get at the reasons why people would follow a cultural taboo on a certain meat that is perfectly acceptable in other countries.

Its a query on member's on the forum and their decision making thought processes as to what they deem as acceptable or unacceptable. I am looking at their cognition as they think through the question I am raising. Its an internal question that can only be answered by each person as they think about it.

The external stuff you are referring to is what I am trying to eliminate or control for in order to find out their cognitive statements on the issue. I am not trying to discount what you are saying but its not what I am trying to drive at with this thread. It may seem silly but I am curious as to how people rationalize taboos particularly those who are xenophobic and how they justify that cognitive dissonance I am trying to bring out

BBill, as I said before take it a step further, it is a cultural taboo not to eat human flesh. There are some cultures where this was a practiced ritual. By the reasoning you just gave, it is rational to do so.

BrothaBill said:
I think we are going in two different directions here.
I am trying to get at the reasons why people would follow a cultural taboo on a certain meat that is perfectly acceptable in other countries.

Its a query on member's on the forum and their decision making thought processes as to what they deem as acceptable or unacceptable. I am looking at their cognition as they think through the question I am raising. Its an internal question that can only be answered by each person as they think about it.

The external stuff you are referring to is what I am trying to eliminate or control for in order to find out their cognitive statements on the issue. I am not trying to discount what you are saying but its not what I am trying to drive at with this thread. It may seem silly but I am curious as to how people rationalize taboos particularly those who are xenophobic and how they justify that cognitive dissonance I am trying to bring out
You're right and I applaud you recognizing that divergence ...

I must bow out of this discussion after this post because as the days pass I progressively find myself losing step with societal norms :rolleyes: it is what it is *sigh*

One final thought, the vast majority of people do things "because that's what you do." They don't question it, because ... well, it's what's done. Sheep don't question, they just hit the fence and don't look for an opening, they can't think abstractly, that there is no opening HERE but maybe there is one THERE; horses do not run OUT of a burning barn, they often fight to stay in their stall even with burning rafters crashing down on them, they hold to the place that to them represents security. The vast majority of humans are no different, simply put, I don't eat shit I wasn't brought up eating. My dad/mom didn't eat that shit, I ain't about to start eating that shit now.

Doesn't matter whether it's good, healthy or whatnot. Fighting the tide of acceptable thought is not in human nature.

BrothaBill said:
And please dont fuck up my thread with bringing up seals. I was curious, I was just surfing the internet about the UN and somehow got to torture on wikipedia. THey listed all of the torture methods for humans (read some) and one was starvation. So I followed that to see what info on fasting it had.
Then it had a link to taboo foods and I was reading some info on cultures and their taboos, i.e. Hindus and the sacred cow etc...

So that wiki page about taboos and forbidden foods and cultures said that in the US, Australia and the UK that horsemeat was generally taboo but enjoys popularity in other countries, i.e. France.

Its lean and high in protein like Buffalo meat, would you eat it (assuming that it tasted more or less like beef of course for purposes of discussion)??

If not, why not? Serious answers only please
only if there's nothing else to eat in the entire world.

HM

fresh red horse carpaccio. Had that the last two new years eves. The standard appetizer in the better Belgian restaurants. served with some veggies, and some pepper.

I have eaten

cow
pig
chicken
turkey
goose
hare
rabbit
duck
ostrich
kangaroo
horse
deer
buffalo
bore
sheep
crocodile
frog
tuna
salmon
cod
shrimp
lobster
catfish
herring
eal
sardine
shark
grouse
squid
octopus
oyster
mussels
snail
seasnail
grasshopper

Probably forgetting stuff.

I have eaten horse and will again, no problem there. They have so much muscle tissue, it´s good.

I really want to try human meat some time. Just out of a marquis de sade-like, - told you the world wouldn´t end if I do it- motivation.

To do list
swan
human
snake
swordfish

I´m still unsure if I want to eat whale or seal. That´s just kind of malicious, whales being endangered and all. they´re both all fat anyway

Top Bottom