Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Women and Weight Training: Countering Myths and Misperceptions

frorider6 said:
I just want to clarify one thing. Is he saying women should only do 1 set per exercise? I would consider that wrong. I think it should be a minimum of 3.
Yes that is what it is saying, you see when you do 1 set it is to failure. If a set is properly done to failure then there is no need to do extra sets, If you do extra sets it leads to overtraining. There is an article I wrote on this in the mens training forum and the same article is on my site in the same place that better discribes about why 1 set is as effective if not more so that doing 3 sets. Also with more sets there is more of a risk of injury because it is harder on the joints. Pick a weight that you are comfortable with and then lift it in a slow and controled manner intill you can no longer move the weight. then lower the weight. Then go and try to do another set with the same weight. You should not be able to lift it very many times if any. This means that you have created hypertrophy in the muscle with one set. This will stimulate the adaptive response of your body. Then by incressing either the reps or weight every to every other time you train that musle or sets of muscle you keep your body adapting. I understand it is different from what you keep hearing about doing 3 set of 10 reps but if you will give it a fair try, lets say 2 weeks then I honestly think you will be converted to this type of training.- superfrk

Like Arnold said : You should respond to them like this:" When you take personal lesson of Golf or tennis you don't say to the teacher that you don't want to win Wimbledon or become Tiger Wood. That just won't happen for some reasons that we know ( genetic etc).
I hear that from my husband all the time, for that reason I forbid him to watch me train: He would be scared by the weight I lift....
luv2workout said:
Myths: The chief concern of women is that by weight training they will become big, muscular, and highly defined. This is a myth and misperception because few individuals of either sex have the genetic endowment to develop a large, defined musculature.

This has got to be the #1 MOST aggravating thing for a personal trainer to hear day in, day out....I have worked w/only 2-3 ladies and EVERY SINGLE ONE has said the same thing...."well I just wanna tone, I dont wanna get big" "my hubby told me to only do low wieght, high reps, cause he dont want me to look manly"....Im sure you all have heard this shit a hundred times!!!

I believe the argument about whether HIT or high volume is more effective has been going on for decades, and it regularly comes up on the training board. From what I've read there and elsewhere, there haven't been any definitive studies which prove that HIT is more effective, but there have been some studies which prove that volume training is more effective. (I haven't done in-depth research - so if you have anything, I'd love to read it).

My question is, can someone who is new to training, especially a woman who has all sorts of socio-psychological barriers preventing her from extending her utmost sweaty effort, generate the kind of intensity needed to completely fatigue the muscle in one set? I sincerely doubt this. It takes a few years to develop that kind of intensity.

And is there scientific evidence to prove that 4-6 reps is optimum? I thought that optimum rep numbers depended on the ratio of white to red muscle fibers, which is totally individual. It's possible that anything beyond about 10-12 is probably a waste of time (depending on the body part - calves being a case in point), but if 4-6 were optimum for EVERYBODY, wouldn't everybody be doing it??

Otherwise, nice post. Thanks.

SteelWeaver, I actualy agree with what you are saying about the # of reps. I did not write this article, and I posted it the way it was. If you will take the time to read my article on HIT which is on the mens training board. You will see that I agree with you. There are many things that will effect the # of reps and the amount of weight used. We all are different and will respond differently. As for the studies that show that volume training is more effective I too would like to see that study. HIT is very adaptive to a persons needs, that is why I think it is a better system. As far as a beganer goes I feel hit would be a very good system because it is easier to stick with. - Superfrk

Sorry - I should have checked your posts out more carefully. Actually, I've read a lot of your posts on the training board, and generally find them to be very helpful and balanced. It'll take a little while to dig up the volume training article - I saw a reference to it somewhere - but I'll give it a go. Thing is - bodybuilders will probably argue about this forever, because ultimately, everything works at first - after all, that's what periodisation is all about (but I bet Blood & Iron would have something to say about that!)

Anyway, I intend to try HIT someday when I stop making gains from (moderate) volume. I wonder what a mixture would do? HIT one week, then moderate volume the next? Now that could be a way to ease into it. But there's something about doing set after set of legs that feels sexy. Back - whatever, the sooner it's done, the better.

I printed this article out for all the ladies who I hear these same myths from day after day....
I too, also disagree w/the one rep wkt....my experience has been that my muscle is not fatigued only after one set...I know your not supposed to judge your wkt. by soreness - but it lets me know If I worked hard enough the day before - and I just dont feel it after only 1 rep?

for this wokrout above.. it asks u to do.. the same workout monday-tuesday-thursday-friday. is that correct.
thats workout 2

and workout 1
same thing twice a week.. would seem more legitimate since u have rest days.

program 2 seesm weird hitting major muscle groupds 4 times a week..

upping for this

I think what they are trying to say for workout 2 is to workout two days in a row and then take one off, then repeat in this fashion, I do agree that the 1st work out looks much better and allows for better recovery- Superfrk

I know that doing one rep seems low, but take into count two things. In workout two, you are doing it four times per week, so it is somewhat equivalent to doing all four reps on one day, then not working that muscle again for an entire week. Also, are we all talking about doing the reps the same way? When we complain about doing one set, I think most of us are thinking of up with quick force, then slower down. But in the article it is talking about 6-8 seconds contraction, pausing, then going back down at 3-4 seconds. That's a long time and will produce alot more stress on the muscles. Anybody agree?

wait..i thought both workouts were 4-6 reps..

8 seconds up is very long.. and 4 seconds down is slow so it probably burns like crazy.

the way this looks i would take the first workout over the second one...espeacially for a beginer

Top Bottom