Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What point do you use belts/straps etc

Personally i don't use straps on DL, my mixed grip is strong enough to keep up with my back right now pulling low 5's. Although i am getting alot stronger since my back got fixed, we'll see how far i can push before i need to use them. I do end up using them on alot of stuff like rows and bis because my forearms give out before my back/bis and thats what im trying to hit with those exercises so its worth the sacrifice, not like grip is getting ignored.

I have never used straps. However, there was a moment about 3 months ago where my deadlift was failing because of my grip. I was so close to buying some straps but I held off. I didn't change my workout plan at all, and now my grip strength is stronger than ever. I maxed the other day, added 20 pounds to my PR, and had no problems with grip whatsoever. It's strange. I imagine at some point if my grip is limiting my lifts, I will get straps, but for now I have no need for them.

I use a belt for my heavy sets of deads, and squats. I've tweaked my back enough times to know that there is a time and a place for one. I use it for anything around 85% 1RM and higher.

Many people have this strange idea that using a belt will give them a weak core. This isn't true. The studies I've seen show that when you are belted up, there is a dramatic increased of muscle activation in your erector spine and rectus abdominis. While your obliques have less activation.

Using a belt doesn't mean you are using your core less, it just means you are using your core differently.

I have seen those dumbbell hooks before. I have never used them, or have any desire too.

Use both, love them they help in many ways. I lift heavy so it helps with security. I just had hernia surgery and know that if i hadn't used a belt for the last couple years It would have been a really bad hernia because of my lifts

I wear wrist support wraps when benching, and I wrap them very tightly around my wrists to the point they turn pale after a set. It helps support my weak wrists, and alows to me control the weight better and lift more weight.

I have always worn a waist belt for squats and deadlifts.

I do not use grip straps for deadlifts though.

alot of different opinions here. Actually the weak core was one thing I never understood as the belt itself becomes something for your abdominals to push against giving greater support. Not from less flex but from a greater amount of pressure being able to be applied. Never used grips but it seems natural to me that if I intend..take that back most anyone that intends to deadlift 6 or 7 or 800 lbs is probably going to strap up...I like strapless myself

A belt can be your friend. Using your belt while curling in the squat rack is never cool. Proper use of your belt will put more weight on the bar and your body. You are using it smartly.

Thanks, good to know it makes sense to someone who has been lifting longer.

I used to use a belt for heavy BB Rows and Deads but Iv stopped now, I may have to start using on thought as I progress with squats, zercher squats work the shit outta my core, especially lower back, and in the 5x5 Iv got BB rows on the same day, considering Im BB Rowing just 1kg less than Im squatting (lol) Im a little worried about my lower back at the end of the day, but Ill just leave it for a while until it hurts rather than aches.

And straps? Never used them, Im not even sure how they work but Im thinking of getting them, my grip is falling so far behind, I would just use them for shrugs if I ever did them and Romanians, 75kgx8 on romanians and I need to put the weight down at 5 and re grip, doing curls today and forearms aches more than biceps lol.
I cant do shrugs either because I cant hold onto the weight long enough. What material is best for straps? Iv seen them made out of several differant materials...

I got one word, CHALK. For those who are trying to decide whether to use straps or not, I dont know if you have tried chalk, but straps are now obsolete now that I have chalk. Just something to try, I dont know if it will help you as much as it helped me but for a dollar something, its a cheap way to get grip and build grip strength.

Top Bottom