Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What point do you use belts/straps etc

If your back went out on a heavy squat, and you say that you were not able to take it down correctly, then you had too much weight on the bar and it would be safe to say that your form was NOT up to par.

If your core is strong enough...you shouldn't need one. Wearing straps isn't going to fix your weak grip. Wearing a belt isn't going to fix your weak core.

Avoiding your weakness just means that it is going to be a BIGGER and MORE DANGEROUS weakness in the future.

If your back went out on a heavy squat, and you say that you were not able to take it down correctly, then you had too much weight on the bar and it would be safe to say that your form was NOT up to par.

If your core is strong enough...you shouldn't need one. Wearing straps isn't going to fix your weak grip. Wearing a belt isn't going to fix your weak core.

Avoiding your weakness just means that it is going to be a BIGGER and MORE DANGEROUS weakness in the future.

So many different opinions. I've been thinking about buying a belt. I'm at 275 squat and 315 Dl still. I was just thinking if I should start wearing one when I get to 315 on Squats.

So many different opinions. I've been thinking about buying a belt. I'm at 275 squat and 315 Dl still. I was just thinking if I should start wearing one when I get to 315 on Squats.

When I first hit three plates I started wearing one. After awhile I quit though. I had some mental hang ups at 315. I felt like two plates wasn't all that serious, but at 315 I felt like I was in peril all of the sudden. The funny, and telling, thing was that I had none of this sentiment squatting 300. There was just something physiological about THREE PLATES. I quit using the belt again after I hit 340 for 5 one week with the belt and then couldn't do it again without the belt. It made me feel like I was cheating.

If I work my back a little too hard and I feel like that specific day I am weaker in my core than normally, I will throw it on, but I also take that as a sign that something isn't jibing with workout that day as I shouldn't need the belt. A good example from personal experience is doing deadlifts after military press. One day a press got away from me a little, and I really tweaked my right lumbar in an odd way while getting the weight up. It wasn't serious enough that I felt I had pulled something, so I still felt confident I could deadlift. However, I knew that I had done something out of the ordinary to it, and it was hurting a bit as a result. That day, I wore a belt on my fourth and fifth set of deadlifts as a precaution, but I also made a note that either I needed to get my form in check on MPs the next week or drop the weight.

I think belts are a great tool for the oddball day when something isn't clicking as they can help one push through his or her routine that day with a little added safety, but if everyday is an oddball day, clearly something else is amiss. In that case I think one can easily use a belt as a crutch to ignore other issues in his or her lifting.

Anyting over three plates I use a belt on. You can go heavy as hell, but you only have one back and its important to take care of it.

I have never used lifting straps for DL's, shrugs or any other pulling exercise. Concentrate on your back muscles and it will help not fatigue the forearms as much.

I do use wrist wraps on bench and heavy dumbell presses. I feel safer especially if I have a set of 150's above my face:D

Top Bottom