Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question about a weekend ketogenic diet

mmk64

My goal is to do a lean bulk. My insulin sensitivity is crappy so what I've been doing lately is eating nearly all of my carbs in 3 separate big meals during a 3 hour window following my workout (sweet potatoes, yams, oats, brown rice).

I lift 5 days a week, Monday-Friday. However, I'm not sure what to do on my 2 resting days. I would like to keep carbs to a minimum and maybe just avoid them completely like a ketogenic diet, so I can keep insulin sensitivity high and avoid fat gain. So I'm wondering: is it a good idea to switch to a ketogenic diet during the weekend, or is there not enough time for my body to establish/leave ketosis efficiently (I do have access to metformin and some other GDAs). When I've done a full ketogenic diet before, I was able to eat sausage, bacon, and other unhealthy fats without issue, so it would be nice to be able to get those easy calories in without hindering my gains.

And as a note, I will be starting an injectable cycle a few weeks after I establish this new diet. In the middle of the cycle I plan on doing a couple of weeks of planned overtraining via whole body workouts on MWF. Could I switch to 4 ketogenic days, or it be too much yoyoing?

I look forward to some of your insight guys!

My goal is to do a lean bulk. My insulin sensitivity is crappy so what I've been doing lately is eating nearly all of my carbs in 3 separate big meals during a 3 hour window following my workout (sweet potatoes, yams, oats, brown rice).

I lift 5 days a week, Monday-Friday. However, I'm not sure what to do on my 2 resting days. I would like to keep carbs to a minimum and maybe just avoid them completely like a ketogenic diet, so I can keep insulin sensitivity high and avoid fat gain. So I'm wondering: is it a good idea to switch to a ketogenic diet during the weekend, or is there not enough time for my body to establish/leave ketosis efficiently (I do have access to metformin and some other GDAs). When I've done a full ketogenic diet before, I was able to eat sausage, bacon, and other unhealthy fats without issue, so it would be nice to be able to get those easy calories in without hindering my gains.

And as a note, I will be starting an injectable cycle a few weeks after I establish this new diet. In the middle of the cycle I plan on doing a couple of weeks of planned overtraining via whole body workouts on MWF. Could I switch to 4 ketogenic days, or it be too much yoyoing?

I look forward to some of your insight guys!

Eliminate the three hr window thing whatever that is. Eat carbs after your workout 50grams since you're not eating other carbs throughout the day. On your days off don't eat any carbs because you're not utilizing them, they will store as fat.

I don't understand! you said you want to lean bulk, but you're on a keto diet.... I think you have to choose the keto diet or the lean bulk diet. You need extra calories from complex carbs when on a lean bulk...The object is putting on as much size as you can and less fat as possible doing a lean bulk...
Eat every 2 1/2 hrs high protein low carbs every meal eliminate simple carbs because of the insulin spike could make you store fat.. Quit eating carbs by 5 or 6 at night. I would eat 25 mgs of complex carbs with every meal before 6 so your body stays in a anabolic state. If you start playing around eating carbs one meal then skipping another then eating them again you're going throw your metabolism out of wack then end up in a catabolic state..

Eliminate the three hr window thing whatever that is. Eat carbs after your workout 50grams since you're not eating other carbs throughout the day. On your days off don't eat any carbs because you're not utilizing them, they will store as fat.

I don't understand! you said you want to lean bulk, but you're on a keto diet.... I think you have to choose the keto diet or the lean bulk diet. You need extra calories from complex carbs when on a lean bulk...The object is putting on as much size as you can and less fat as possible doing a lean bulk...
Eat every 2 1/2 hrs high protein low carbs every meal eliminate simple carbs because of the insulin spike could make you store fat.. Quit eating carbs by 5 or 6 at night. I would eat 25 mgs of complex carbs with every meal before 6 so your body stays in a anabolic state. If you start playing around eating carbs one meal then skipping another then eating them again you're going throw your metabolism out of wack then end up in a catabolic state..

Eh Not necessarily. If you deplete your body of glycogen, and do a proper refeed it's completely possible to shred fat, AND put on muscle. I did it while using the UD2 diet. True I wouldn't do a keto if I were trying to bulk though. Also Insulin sensitvity is great for packing on muscle but can put fat on you faster too. If you want the highest insulin sensitivity mix your carbs and proteins together.

M-F are my carb days where I also lift. I'm asking if it's okay to substitute all carbs with protein/fat only on Saturday or Sunday, or would I still be at risk of storing the fat? since it takes a while to get into a ketogenic state and my body may still be using carbs as its energy source

Is that monday through friday? cause if so a saturday sunday is not nearly long enough to go keto, plus you don't want to completely eliminate carbs. That would be ill advised.

Why not just lower carbs a bit on the weekends? I agree...2 days isn't nearly enough time for keto.

So I should eat my carbs in the morning or something? And fat/protein the rest of the day? The only reason I wanted to eliminate carbs completely because I would naturally have to eat a good bit of fat on the weekend to replace those carb calories and meet my requirements, and I wanted to keep my insulin levels low to prevent fat gain. So you guys don't think the insulin from even a low amount of carbs would put me at risk?

This may be a dumb question but how do you know you're insulin sensitive? I don't mean generally...I mean you specifically...

Eh Not necessarily.do a pro If you deplete your body of glycogen, and per refeed it's completely possible to shred fat, AND put on muscle. I did it while using the UD2 diet. True I wouldn't do a keto if I were trying to bulk though. Also Insulin sensitvity is great for packing on muscle but can put fat on you faster too. If you want the highest insulin sensitivity mix your carbs and proteins together.

Yeah, I believe that to an extent...It could also have been an optical illusion. When you deplete your muscles for an extended period of time sometimes you get that flat look then
you eat a lot of carbs it shocks your system and you get the full and vasc. Look... Secondly,
I'm assuming you're advanced in weight training, so you have that foundation where you can play around with your diet and make gains. I woudn't reccomend keto or carb cycling to any NEWB.. Would you?

Yeah, I believe that to an extent...It could also have been an optical illusion. When you deplete your muscles for an extended period of time sometimes you get that flat look then
you eat a lot of carbs it shocks your system and you get the full and vasc. Look... Secondly,
I'm assuming you're advanced in weight training, so you have that foundation where you can play around with your diet and make gains. I woudn't reccomend keto or carb cycling to any NEWB.. Would you?

No trust me it wasn't an optical illusion. The UD2 is no joke. Many people have tried it. Sonicwaste got me started on it, and I was able to go from 9% to 6% in six weeks on it a little over a year ago, and I did not change scale weight. I stopped cause I was actually getting too big.

I don't ever really recommend Keto unless it's to someone that needs to loose the weight quickly. Then switch them to more of a simple diet that's more of a lifestyle change and not a "diet".

FOR THE POSTER: If you do not want your insulin to spike and you want it low. Make sure you eat fats, carbs, and proteins all in the same meal. Green fibrous veggies will keep the insulin as low as possible.

Top Bottom