Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Power lifting to supplement bodybuilding?

Sassy69

I've been trying to come up w/ a way to voice my questions for a couple of weeks now -- I started training PL w/a couple of local guys about 3 weeks ago. Due to some traveling I've missed a few consecutive days, but my goal is to get the feel for the general training regimen w/ enough variation in routines to be able to do some of it on my own (i.e. not be dependent upon these particular 2 guys for my training schedule, should I move away from the area... which I will be doing in a few weeks).

Why did I decide to try PL? Well, spatts & hannibal of course! And I also have the time & the resources (training partners & gym) right now. I *really* like it. The biggest thing I like about it -- my back is getting worked the correct way. I've worked w/ a couple different trainers for competitions over the last few years, and squats & deads were not a major part of my routines. Frankly I come to realize I wasnt' doing much of any of these correctly.

Over the last few years (due to age???) I've also had more regular problems w/ my back, specifically my sciatic nerve on the right side, and occassionally the left. A recent trip to a massage therapist located the specific point of stress at the place where the sciatic nerve seems to be getting pinched by a tight proforma muscle (the muscle under the glute). I've been very careful & a little hesitant about doing squats or anything that stresses my back because of this point of pain. I haven't quite figured out why this pinch is happening or what I need to change to deal w/ it, however, the PL training is giving me much more confidence in my ability to use my back w/o anticipating that pain. And the cable pull-thru has become my best friend & savior for stretching out my back!!!!!

So now I'm wondering how or if I might do a combination of PL & BB in pursuit of strengthening my back & increasing strength in general, but also leaning out. I don't particuarly want to get thicker in the waist. I probably don't intend to train for any PL competitions and I need to incorporate some cardio, and of course diet into the whole schedule.

Here's my current PL schedule:

Monday: Max effort Squats & Deadlifts
Tuesday: GPP
Wed: Max effort bench
Thurs: Speed Squat & Deadlifts
Friday: GPP
Sat: OFF
Sun: Speed bench

I'm interested in comments for me & also to possibly interest any BB-style lifters to incorporate some PL into their own routines.

First off I am glad to hear this...just wish I could get you to compete. I think that if you did just one meet you would be hooked.

As far as your schedule...if it is possible I would move the Speed Squats to Friday. That will allow of optimal recovery time between the ME and DE days for the different moves.

As far as using Powerlifting training for bodybuilding...the only thing I would change from what I do now would be the sets and reps on my assistance work. Obviously, I would do more hypertrophy work, but still in the basic template of my current schedule.

Obviously, the major difference is diet. And if you are worried about a thicker waist...just build bigger shoulders :lmao:

My "gains" today include my first complete chin up - underhand & overhand! wohoo!

Seriously, I do enjoy it, but I'm not sure how I will continue with it. Who knows...

Cool! I did 3 semi-assisted chin-ups (overhand) this weekend! My goal is to do 5 unassisted by Thanksgiving.

And I agree. The feel of heavy weights is extremely addictive...

Good luck! I am right there with you!!

I've been doing a semi-PL type workout for awhile now - mainly for hypertrophy, but I also have some personal strength goals I'd like to accomplish during this little break from competition.

I'm not training westside; I'm mainly training the way my PLer trains, and the way we train the college athletes - full body lifts, with emphasis on specific motions. For example, day one may have more emphasis on pulling; day two more emphasis on pushing, that type of thing. I'm also using a percentage based system; I'm in no big hurry to meet my strength goals, and this system lets my body adjust well to each weight jump. I have to admit - it's also nice knowing exactly what I'm doing in the gym that day. For example, if today is 80% of 1RM day, I calculate out my poundages before I hit the gym, and the only change I may make is to volume, depending on how I feel. If I'm nice and strong, I hit the upper range of the 80% volumes (based on Prilipen's volume table); if I'm dragging, I hit the lower end.

Good luck with your training, and keep us updated!

Hannibal said:
First off I am glad to hear this...just wish I could get you to compete. I think that if you did just one meet you would be hooked.

Do they have meets for newbies???:D

Hannibal said:
Obviously, the major difference is diet. And if you are worried about a thicker waist...just build bigger shoulders :lmao:

Good thinking...I've been working on my back like crazy the past few months. I saw a post by spatts--something to the effect that she was working on increasing her lats to make her waist appear smaller...I took that to heart! This girl likes to eat!

Top Bottom