Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Knee pain after heavy leg day

socaljack

Booyah
I am 44, 6'3, 230 and 18-20% BF. I am about to begin a beast/transderm cycle. I eat super clean, I do a lot of mobility work, I think my lifting form is strict and safe, having been lifting for years.

But yesterday after my box squats, hack squats and bulgarians I feel sharp pain above and just inside my left patella.

I took some alleve, am already on 10ml of fish oil and glucosamine daily. What else can I do to actively recover? I will be bummed if I have to lay off deads and squats.

I was thinking of starting 12 weeks of SL5x5 but that involves squats 3/week.

Help!

I am 44, 6'3, 230 and 18-20% BF. I am about to begin a beast/transderm cycle. I eat super clean, I do a lot of mobility work, I think my lifting form is strict and safe, having been lifting for years.

But yesterday after my box squats, hack squats and bulgarians I feel sharp pain above and just inside my left patella.

I took some alleve, am already on 10ml of fish oil and glucosamine daily. What else can I do to actively recover? I will be bummed if I have to lay off deads and squats.

I was thinking of starting 12 weeks of SL5x5 but that involves squats 3/week.

Help!

Being of an older person as well I can tell you this. Bulgarians and hacks are extremely aggressive on our knees. I had to change my routine completely and only use one exercise that puts extreme pressure on the caps.
I got so bad that I had to take 7 weeks off legs to allow them to heal. So note the pain the next time
usual suspects are leg extentions, split squats, sissy squats,, hacks, farmer walks

at your height expect knee issues, there is something about tall guys that brings knee issues. keep with the fish oil and I would suggest upping it to krill which is stronger. 1000mg a day. also reduce your weight, if it keeps bothering you then listen to your body, taking aleve is gonna make your problem chronic over time. i wouldn't mess with anti-inflammatories.

^^^ yes it will help. Balm goes after the joints naturally.

but still if you have chronic knee issues you need to drop your body weight and the weight you are squatting. the more you pound away the better chance it will get worse and worse. and pretty soon it won't hurt just when squatting but when doing any activity! listen to your body, if it hurts then stop

I've discussed this before, I learned my lesson the hard way in my late 20's. I was a champion endurance runner, got shin problems... and kept pounding away and the problem got worse and worse. fellow runners would tell me to just run with the pain, just like fellow lifters may tell you to squat through the pain. well easy for them to tell you this since its not THEIR knees we are talking about. pretty soon my shins would hurt not just when running but would even keep me up at night from the pain. so i had to quit running altogether. and even years later i STILL have shin problems. all cause i didn't listen to my body and listened to other guys instead!

As you age you just can't do what you use to. I'm 42 and was squatting 220lbs just five years ago. Between the knees and back I know do reps for 135lb. If you keep going heavy its not if you will hurt yourself but when.

Rebecca D

Thanks gang. I took some advice here and decided to drop the lbs and make sure to squat very deep, well past parallel. I will give it some time before I ramp up again.

Top Bottom