Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ketogenic Diet Question

Big_Nims

I'm kinda new to the whole Keto diet lifestyle. I have been reading everything that I can about it. It seems to me that as long as one stays under 100 grams per day of carbs(low GI carbs), that one will enter into a Ketogenic state? Am I wrong in assuming this? So as long as your calories are below maintenance level, your protein is at roughly .75 to 1 gram per lb of body weight, and carbs are kept under 100/grams per day, you can safley loose bodyfat while maintaing your muscle mass?

There is no hard-set number. It differs from one individual to another. Entry into a ketosis state occurs when liver and muscle glycogen stores are depleted (well, technically, your muscle glycogen will probably never be fully depleted, but your body doesn't care as long as the amount stored in the muscles is low).

It varies from individual to individual but I can guarentee you very very few people can get into ketosis on 1 gram of protien per lbs of bw and 90 grams of carbs a day. For most beginners 20-30 grams of carbs is the cut off, with at least 70% of your calories in the form of fat, limit your protien intake to about 100 grams, and slowly raise it testing for ketones in your urine twice a day to see if you stay in ketosis.

dr atkins, who was one of the originators of this line of thinking some 25 years ago suggested a 2 week induction phase of maximum of 20 grams a day
not easy when you consider a glass of milk is 12

also he suggested things like no caffeine no booze no aspartame nothing to spike the insulin levels

some people never hit deep ketosis (purple on ketostix)
i never did but i still lost almost 50 pounds (august to november)
i am on ongoing weight loss and my goal is 4 pounds net a month
figure by summer i will have lost another 30 pounds and hopefully gained no more than 10 pounds in muscle to look pretty trim
and by my birthday (september) lost another 12 pounds and be defined

Wouldn't you have to factor in weight training and cardio into that 100 gram per day equation? If one is doing cardio, say 4-5 times per week, plus lifting say 2-3 times per week, wouldn't it be feasable that one could enter a ketogenic state, while on 100 carbs per day(low gi carbs)? Wouldnt body weight have to also factor in? A larger person would need more carbs? Tell me if I'm way off base here. Thanks bro's.

you need to start the fire pro
that means low intake of carbs initially
i am on ongoing weight loss and i am consuming only 50 grams of carbs a day and working out
losing 4 pounds net a month

losing 6 in fat and gaining 2 in muscle

i believe you need to do 45 mins of cardio to initiate keto if you do not go the 20 gram induction

I've noticed that even the people who are very overweight, and go on a low/moderate carb diet, who exercise and weight train, dont have the problem with loose or hanging skin, as oppossed to those who go on a traditional calorie restricted, high carb diet, why is this? I've seen people loose like 80 pounds on a low/moderate carb diet, and end up looking like fitness models, whereas those who go on the high carb/low cal diet end up looking like concentration camp survivors(no disrespect inteended)

Big_Nims said:
I've noticed that even the people who are very overweight, and go on a low/moderate carb diet, who exercise and weight train, dont have the problem with loose or hanging skin, as oppossed to those who go on a traditional calorie restricted, high carb diet, why is this? I've seen people loose like 80 pounds on a low/moderate carb diet, and end up looking like fitness models, whereas those who go on the high carb/low cal diet end up looking like concentration camp survivors(no disrespect inteended)

Because of the 3 micronutrients carbs are actually the least anabolic. These people become deficient in protien and essential fats on a below maintance caloric intake where 30-40% of their calories come from these sources. Being deficient in either one can lead to rapid loss of muscle mass, loss of skin elasticity (you need alot of protien and polyunsaturated fats to have soft, supple skin). The building blocks of muscle tissue are actually amino acids and fatty acids, and this type of diet you take in the only thing you do not need, carbs, which are not essential to your diet for health, and are only a source of energy. These people have lost alot of muscle mass, and have malnurished skin as well, which creates the look you are describing.

Top Bottom