Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How to work on pushups with traditional weightlifting without overtraining?

kvncooper

I'm considering a career in the army and need to work on pushups and situps:

A pushup focused routine includes doing pushups almost every second day, however I would be concerned of over training if also weight lifting on a traditional 1 off 1 on split (whole body or push/pull).

Would appreciate any advice on best practices to work on functional strength, as well as muscular endurance (pushups), without over training.

Supersetting pushups with bench and flies is actually a really good idea. Another way is to warmup with pushups before benching.

Or you could do it the way the military does it and practice pushups after a run. You could even make a circuit out of it if you want to do it that way, the order and amount is up to you. if you don't want to add volume to a weightlifting routine then just subract a session for each day you dedicate to pushups and situps. I dunno if they test for pullups in the army it's better to just assume they do.

I believe most people can throw in the pushups in addition to a traditional routine...overtraining would take much more than that.

The t-nation 60 day challenge approach is a good one to slowly increase your tolerance to such volume and would also improve your pullups. Begin at day one with 10 pushups, 10 lunges, and 10 pullups (or however many you can do in 1 set if less than 10). Add one rep to each exercise each day for 60 days. Never did more than three weeks myself but I've heard good things. Looking to start it up again.

Also increasing your bench press will make pushups much much easier.

Top Bottom