Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How do you eat your egg whites?

yosshimura

High End Bro
Platinum
I bought some egg whites (came in a milk looking yellow container) last week, but other than doing scrambled eggs or something I don't know what to do with it....:confused:

Can't I just gulp a glass of it down, like raw eggs?

if those whites are not pasteurized you'd better cook them (and is it a liquid w/o the shell you can cook it in the microwave)

just to avoid salmonella and other food poisoning

Yeah, they're liquid without the shell. Came in a milk-carton looking container. Microwave, huh? Sounds easy....sorry, but this question is coming from someone who just started cooking 90 days ago or so, never before in my life, so I am clueless in the kitchen (that used to be the job of the little woman when I had one :D)

yosshimura;

I was wondering the same things a while back. I found an internet site from one of the makers of those egg whites. They admitted that the body cannot digest the egg whites if they are raw. So NO, you can't just drink them (well you can but the body will not digest it). They did say that digesting them was helped if the egg whites were put thru a blender.

So the conclusion I came to was that I will have to cook them. Scrambled on the stove or in the micowave.

jordon said:
yosshimura;

I was wondering the same things a while back. I found an internet site from one of the makers of those egg whites. They admitted that the body cannot digest the egg whites if they are raw. So NO, you can't just drink them (well you can but the body will not digest it). They did say that digesting them was helped if the egg whites were put thru a blender.

So the conclusion I came to was that I will have to cook them. Scrambled on the stove or in the micowave.
why wouldn't your body be able digest raw egg whites? if you can digest cooked egg whites, you should be able to digest them uncooked. not a flame bro, just asking you to back up your comments.

Raw eggs may contain salmonella bacteria....the only way to kill this bacteria is to cook them....so bad idea to drink them raw...

Bouncer

Here's one quote I found :

"Limiting factor of egg is that it does not contain vitamin C. Raw albumin contains an anti digestive factor that interferes with digestion. Egg also has a compound called avadin, which react with biotin (Vitamin H) and make it unavailable. Both these factors get destroyed on heating."

Go to yahoo or whatever and type in "EGG ALBUMIN" - there is lots of info about it and digestion (btw egg albumin is egg whites)

Pink233;

He is talking about processed egg whites (pasturized, homogonized) so there is no fear of bacteria.

If it wasn't for what I learned about digestion they would be perfect. They come in one cup portions (like a little container of milk). 126 cals, 30 grams protein, little to no fat and no carbs. They work great in a protein shake instead of milk or water. Here in Canada about $1.00. I was drinking 2 a day.

But now I have to cook them which is a little thick for a shake:D

I like to eat egg whites with some peanut butter...yes sounds gross, but it is great, take 5-10 egg whites and put a serving of peanut butter in them, yum yum. I also like to use salsa, mix turkeyburger and manwitch sauce in with them is really good also...

there's plastic thing called "ez-omelet"

makes egg whites in the microwave in less than 5 mins....that way I can can em at work for breakfast...

Top Bottom