Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Beyond Frustrated and need advise from Women who have been there

kittelmama

Insert Pithy Quotation He
Platinum
Yes, I am new here and I have been reading as many threads as possible including the "stickies" Just need some serious guidance.
I am 43 years old, done with childbearing after 6 near full-term pregnancies that wrecked havoc on my metabolism and mid-section.
I have been working out (see details below) for over 2 years fairly intensly.

I cannot drop a single ounce of fat. I am exactly the same weight I was 2 years ago when I started -- I am 5'7" and 193. I no longer want to know where my bf is - I know its greatly improved from where I started. I am really strong, I have great endurance. I look terrible.:mad:

Training:
Sunday, Monday, Wednesday Friday: 25 minutes HIIT on either treadmill or stairs followed by weightlifting. I lift heavy (its more fun). minumum 6 exercises per body part
Sunday: legs --- e.g. on press (hip sled) 45 reps 3 sets at 400#; squats 3 sets of 15 at 200#; hamstring, etc.
Monday: Bicep/Tricep: e.g. 4 sets of 21 reps at 70# on ez curl bar
Wednesday: Chest and shoulders - I am still building strength here after torn rotator cuff 3 years ago -
Friday: Back and Biceps (yes I am probably overtraining biceps but its fun and I like having guns!)

Tuesdays/Thursdays and Saturdays. I train Taekwondo and have 90 minute class those days - high cardio, high stretch, high inensity and I sparr

I also work a 60 hour schedule -- primarily chained to a desk

Diet: (unchanged for over 2 years ... at this point I don't like food at all)

On average I do not surpass 1300 calories a day during the week. On Sundays it usually is about 2000 (fun day with family)

Breakfast - cup of unsweetened greek yogurt with cinnamon; 1 hard boiled egg

mid-morning - protein shake - 30 grams whey protein 7 grams carbs 160 calories
Lunch: 310 calorie southbeach diet frozen lunch -- 30 carbs total
mid-afternoon - almonds and a V8
dinner -- honestly - I usually skip dinner during the week, maybe just another protein shake and some carrots - weekend - its usually some sort of chicken dish made at home

supplements: multivitamin, ubiquinol, vitamin D, vitamin K, gluosomine
Liquids -- lots of coffee (black), iced tea (fake sweetener) and straight water (usually 64 ounces per day)

What am I doing wrong?

Am about to hit the "buy" button for Clem and CytoT3 - but want to be around for my only child for a few more years and don't really know enough about the safety to start.

Oh BTW, had complete blood work done for thyroid panel, insulin resistance, etc. - 100% normal. blood pressure 90/60, resting pulse 55

HELP HELP HELP!

Oh, I had better add a few things ...

I forgot to add the vegetables - usually asparagus with garlic cold with lunch and zuchini sauted in olive oil but cold with the almonds and V8 in the afternoon (yes I pack my food for work and can't cook while there)

Have been told i need to eat more. So I did. I added 500 calories all protein (yes I count them carefully and know how to!) for 6 weeks about 8 months ago. Gained 9 pounds of jiggle. So that whole, lots of small meals things and higher calorie thing just doesn't seem to work for me and I wasn't willing to keep trying and gaining more jiggle while my body "adjusted".

I put on muslcle mass with no problem whatsoever. Biceps flexed are over 15" - frankly I like a little mass - but the right mass!

The only part of my body without a layer of fat (unless I am deceiving myself in order to not be 100% suicidal) are my legs -- Quads have an awesome sweep and although not vascular are fully defined and 26" after drop sets. (24" flexed pre-workout)

I have also done a few fasts over the past few years (after finishing breastfeeding when daughter was 2). I actually love a fast - it feels good for the first 2 days, then I add broiled chicken day 3 and then back to normal day 4. I don't think they help (no results at all except for being REALLY cranky at the end of day 2) and maybe they hurt.

Yes, I am new here and I have been reading as many threads as possible including the "stickies" Just need some serious guidance.
I am 43 years old, done with childbearing after 6 near full-term pregnancies that wrecked havoc on my metabolism and mid-section.
I have been working out (see details below) for over 2 years fairly intensly.

I cannot drop a single ounce of fat. I am exactly the same weight I was 2 years ago when I started -- I am 5'7" and 193. I no longer want to know where my bf is - I know its greatly improved from where I started. I am really strong, I have great endurance. I look terrible.:mad:

Training:
Sunday, Monday, Wednesday Friday: 25 minutes HIIT on either treadmill or stairs followed by weightlifting. I lift heavy (its more fun). minumum 6 exercises per body partsounds like over training
Sunday: legs --- e.g. on press (hip sled) 45 reps 3 sets at 400#; squats 3 sets of 15 at 200#; hamstring, etc.
Monday: Bicep/Tricep: e.g. 4 sets of 21 reps at 70# on ez curl bar
Wednesday: Chest and shoulders - I am still building strength here after torn rotator cuff 3 years ago -
Friday: Back and Biceps (yes I am probably overtraining biceps but its fun and I like having guns!)

Tuesdays/Thursdays and Saturdays. I train Taekwondo and have 90 minute class those days - high cardio, high stretch, high inensity and I sparr

I also work a 60 hour schedule -- primarily chained to a desk

Diet: (unchanged for over 2 years ... at this point I don't like food at all)

On average I do not surpass 1300 calories a day during the week. On Sundays it usually is about 2000 (fun day with family)do you actually track the calories for the sunday a lot of damage can be done in one day of fun just saying

Breakfast - cup of unsweetened greek yogurt with cinnamon; 1 hard boiled egg This isn't two bad but it's not great either I'd go with 1or2 omega eggs and 3-4 egg whites some spinach or other green veggies make an omlete

mid-morning - protein shake - 30 grams whey protein 7 grams carbs 160 calories try to limit shakes to only when absolutly need whole foods are better
Lunch: 310 calorie southbeach diet frozen lunch -- 30 carbs total processed package foods are garbage period don't care who they are branded by
mid-afternoon - almonds and a V8 almonds are fine v8 processed no good
dinner -- honestly - I usually skip dinner during the week, maybe just another protein shake and some carrots - weekend - its usually some sort of chicken dish made at home why skip meals?

supplements: multivitamin, ubiquinol, vitamin D, vitamin K, gluosomine
Liquids -- lots of coffee (black), iced tea (fake sweetener)not a fan i find they tend to increase cravings for sugars etc and straight water (usually 64 ounces per day)

What am I doing wrong?

Am about to hit the "buy" button for Clem and CytoT3 - but want to be around for my only child for a few more years and don't really know enough about the safety to start. don't do it your diet needs work read the diet plans in the sticky

Oh BTW, had complete blood work done for thyroid panel, insulin resistance, etc. - 100% normal. blood pressure 90/60, resting pulse 55

HELP HELP HELP!

See my notes in red.

Thanks for the notes SuperQ. I will fill in some more details.
I think my stating 6 exercises per body part was misleading. I do not do 6 bicep excercies and then 6 tricep on arm day. I just do 6 arms total. So for bi/tris on my Monday workout did 4 sets of 12 straight bar negatives Biceps, then 4 sets alternating dumbell curls drop set, starting at 35# per arm and dropping by 10# then drop by 5#, , followed by 4 sets bicep curl machine that I really like because of its geometry but I don't know the name. Then 3 different excercizes for triceps (cable crossovers/push down superset, cable double-rope push down, dumbell kick backs) I change up the specific lifts each week.

If I am overtraining --- what does that mean? --- wouldn't I be losing some bf if I am doing "too much"?

Diet: On Sundays I come close to actually tracking. Everything is actually cooked from home from real ingredients. It might be as high as 2300 but not higher. Would I love to add a nice ribeye? OH YEAH, with a big butter drenched baked potato too, but not gonna happen. But I will have an omelet with cheese, jalapenos and mushrooms for breakfast, I get to have my one piece of bread for the week, popcorn during game time and a normal dinner with family.

We do only have the orgnaic omega eggs (from Windsor Farms - delivered) - I don't think I could actually eat that much for breakfast but might try to add some, I love the omelet idea and its fast enough.

Shakes versus whole food. If I were at home or had any extra time (time? what is that?) I agree. Time is not on my side.

I skip dinner sometimes because I am not interested in food. In general, I only eat because I know I have to. I realized a year ago or so that I had forgotten what hunger feels like. I leave the house each day by 7am, leave work at 7:30 to make it to gym or dojahng by 8pm, by the time I get home at 10 or 11pm, I am just ready to talk with my husband and do my stretching, take a shower and go to bed. Eating isn't on the list, nor am I interested in eating. For me eating on Sundays is a social thing not an "I want to" thing. Does that make sense?

Fake sweeteners - Stevia has a bizarre aftertaste and certainly they are better than straight sugar? My fake-sweet tea is my one thing that I really do enjoy each day, should I go to real sugar?

Based on calories in versus calories out, shouldn't I see some results after 2 years? I don't care about the scale, I know that I have traded some fat for muscle because I can see the muscle and feel the muscle. I care about inches around the waist and the layer of fat covering up my muscles.

Diet plans in the sticky: based on my life schedule I find it incredibly difficult to find the extra hour or more each day to cook the way its required in those diets. I then just plain fail, feel worse than I did when I started. They all are higher calorie intake than what I have now. I don't want to gain weight again!

If I could hire a personal chef, life would be ducky. Too bad I am not wealthy.

Why wouldn't thermogenics be of assistance? Would they not work for me?

Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the notes SuperQ. I will fill in some more details.
I think my stating 6 exercises per body part was misleading. I do not do 6 bicep excercies and then 6 tricep on arm day. I just do 6 arms total. So for bi/tris on my Monday workout did 4 sets of 12 straight bar negatives Biceps, then 4 sets alternating dumbell curls drop set, starting at 35# per arm and dropping by 10# then drop by 5#, , followed by 4 sets bicep curl machine that I really like because of its geometry but I don't know the name. Then 3 different excercizes for triceps (cable crossovers/push down superset, cable double-rope push down, dumbell kick backs) I change up the specific lifts each week.

If I am overtraining --- what does that mean? --- wouldn't I be losing some bf if I am doing "too much"? Over training leads to muscle lose or lack of muscle gains not body fat loose

Diet: On Sundays I come close to actually tracking. Everything is actually cooked from home from real ingredients. It might be as high as 2300 but not higher. Would I love to add a nice ribeye? OH YEAH, with a big butter drenched baked potato too, but not gonna happen. But I will have an omelet with cheese, jalapenos and mushrooms for breakfast, I get to have my one piece of bread for the week, popcorn during game time and a normal dinner with family.

We do only have the orgnaic omega eggs (from Windsor Farms - delivered) - I don't think I could actually eat that much for breakfast but might try to add some, I love the omelet idea and its fast enough.

Shakes versus whole food. If I were at home or had any extra time (time? what is that?) I agree. Time is not on my side.

I skip dinner sometimes because I am not interested in food. In general, I only eat because I know I have to. I realized a year ago or so that I had forgotten what hunger feels like. I leave the house each day by 7am, leave work at 7:30 to make it to gym or dojahng by 8pm, by the time I get home at 10 or 11pm, I am just ready to talk with my husband and do my stretching, take a shower and go to bed. Eating isn't on the list, nor am I interested in eating. For me eating on Sundays is a social thing not an "I want to" thing. Does that make sense?

Fake sweeteners - Stevia has a bizarre aftertaste and certainly they are better than straight sugar? My fake-sweet tea is my one thing that I really do enjoy each day, should I go to real sugar? I suggest no sugar and no sugar subs either

Based on calories in versus calories out, shouldn't I see some results after 2 years? I don't care about the scale, I know that I have traded some fat for muscle because I can see the muscle and feel the muscle. I care about inches around the waist and the layer of fat covering up my muscles. Sometimes it's not that simple it could be the macro break down a varity of things only way to know is if your kept a daily diary of everything for the past two years then you could see and tweak. I do suggest making a log here we could help you better that way.

Diet plans in the sticky: based on my life schedule I find it incredibly difficult to find the extra hour or more each day to cook the way its required in those diets. I then just plain fail, feel worse than I did when I started. They all are higher calorie intake than what I have now. I don't want to gain weight again!

If I could hire a personal chef, life would be ducky. Too bad I am not wealthy.

Why wouldn't thermogenics be of assistance? Would they not work for me? They might provide a slight edge but if you don't have the basics down IE perfect diet at least 90% of the time why bother room to fix those errors first

Thanks for the input.

See red again...

Everyone is busy if you haven't seen progress in 2 years don't you think it's time to make some changes?

Do all your cooking once a week (Sunday or Saturday) and portion/pack it up keep the first 2-3 days in the fridge freeze the rest easy to grab and go.

Okay, I have learned one good thing .... I am not overtraining as I have monthly improvement in muscle strength and size, so at least that is off the table of discussion.
Right now, I can out lift my pretty-studly husband by 10# and with higher reps on both back and biceps! Woot Woot!

I have certainly seen progress in 2 years. When I began, I could only lift the straght bar (no plates) and only 5 curls before I couldn't go further. Now I am working out at 4X15 with 70-80# and maxing at 120# for biceps, Legs, started with 1 45# plate on the press, now I am at 4 plates per side.

All the progress is in the muscle -- strength, size and definition

What seems to be no progress in the mid-section. Too bad ab-work doesn't actually make fat go away. If so, I would be golden!

So calories in versus calories burned means nothing? It has to mean something because chemistry is, well, chemistry. If I have a net calorie deficit, which I am certain I do, I should be losing weight unless something else in my system just isn't working.

I can add food and add calories which is what the diet plans require, but when I did just that and near perfectly for a 6 week span, I gained weight and I gained fast ... all fat. I won't do that again, no way no how. There HAS to be a different path for me.

Discipline is not something that I lack. Not when it comes to food. I literally force feed myself. I have no interest really in any food (excpet my fake-sweetened tea). I only eat because I must.

I'm just gonna jump in here.
Why don't you cut all sugar and almost all carbs from your diet for a couple weeks and increase cardio a little for a few weeks and see what happens?

Thanks CML .... My only fear in removing all carbs, and I am at about 50-90 per day, is that I compete in Taekwondo. If I remove them, I lose the ability to spar, and that is my "thing"! Sugar, except as found in fruit or vegetables, left my diet years ago! Except on my Birthday, I am allowed to have double-chocolate cake on my birthday!

When I dropped below 30 carbs (kept it there for 2 weeks with NO FAT LOSS!), not only was I crazy cranky and mean, I had zero energy and started losing bouts. I don't like losing bouts, even in practice with my sparring partner! :)

I do cycle the carbs. Monday/Tuesday restrict them more, normal rest of the week, higher but not crazy on Sunday (my one piece of bread during the week!)

Because I am not taking anything else, according to my trainer and other "experts" if I greatly increase my current cardio I might risk losing muscle instead of fat. I don't know if this is actually true. I am currently 4 days at 25 minutes high intensity, and 3 days 90 minutes variable intensity. I could add another 30 minutes a day and see if that does anything. But if it doesn't I am going to start getting pretty angry! ;)

Last edited:
OK my bad I thought you were asking for help and advise but if you are happy with your resutlts I will leave you to it seems like you know exactly what your doing.

Wow. That was a little rude don't you think? I gave as complete a picture as I could including as much precise detail possible. Perhaps you didn't fully read or don't care about my concerns:

I am afraid of adding more calories given my previous experience.

I will try cooking and freezing homemade food as you suggest.
And, as the other poster mentioned, I can add even more cardio.
I assumed this board was a little more open, perhaps people like me should just lurk and not post.

From what I can infer from your terse comments, you may believe I am doing nothing right and simply am not worth your time. Perhaps older women as I may be aren't exactly the right audience for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom