Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone when through (or knows someone) who completed Navy Nuke training?

PICK3

I know it's pretty intense, but I bet you'd get a good job when you get out.

It's competitive to get into and requires a 6 year enlistment.

my dad almost finished.. he said we'd be loaded right now if he had

I know a couple of guys that did. I'm not in contact with them anymore though. They got a bonus every month from the Navy. I think they were all submariners. It takes a different type of person to go a few weeks or more at a time without seeing the sun.

onerepmaximum said:
I know a couple of guys that did. I'm not in contact with them anymore though. They got a bonus every month from the Navy. I think they were all submariners. It takes a different type of person to go a few weeks or more at a time without seeing the sun.

nukes go on more than just subs. they're nuke carriers. most people that go through nuke training end up as E5 when they are out of school. the pipeline for the school is 2 years long.

Last edited:
A guy I went to school with did. He had some type of chemical engineering Masters or Doctorate???

He ended up doing something with the power of subs. He was the smartest person in my school.

PICK3 said:
I know it's pretty intense, but I bet you'd get a good job when you get out.

It's competitive to get into and requires a 6 year enlistment.

you have to score an 80 or better on the ASVAB. and you can't be color blind. also, you will work in the worse conditions. Reactor is at the bottom of the ship, so you will end up working in the bilge at times. also, it hot down there, always over 100 degrees, and lot as hell. and it is louder than shit in the reactor spaces, if you value your hearing, forget about it. if you have any kind of drug charge in your record, forget about it. the recruiters will make all the promises in the world that they can get you a waiver, right up until you get to the MEPS station. once there, they will break the news to you that "they were unable to get you a waiver for your drug charge, but you can do this job instead..." they figure that once they get you down there, it will be harder for you to back out. oh yeah, if you are color blind, forget about it.

as for getting out, and getting a good job...that's a myth too. all the jobs that are offered in the Navy are geared towards shipboard work, and have nothing to do with the real (civilian) world. there are 3 types of nukes, Electricians, Machinist, and Electronics Technicians. you have to get certain line scores on your ASVAB inorder to to be eligible for certain ones.

also...judging by the fact that you have made some 2K+ posts since December, i am making an educated guess that you like to be online. forget about that shit once you get underway. i was lucky on the carrier that i was on. they allowed us to be able to get on the internet from 8pm to Midnight. and then all day sunday. you think dial-up service is slow? ha. dial-up is like DSL when compared to the fact that it takes about 5 minutes (not exaggerating) for a page to load when you are out to sea, and sharing a satellite connection with the rest of the ship. lets not forget that all it takes is one fuckin officer to call the people that control the internet to say that his connection is slow, and then they will shut it down for all the enlisted people. then they run EMCON (emission Control) drills, and it wipes out the internet. and you have to share the computer with the other 20 people that you work with who want to get on the internet during those 4 hours. if someone out ranks you and wants to use the internet, looks like you aren't getting on that night

you like to talk to your family? sorry, there are no phones underway. unless you make a hook-up with the people in communications that control the outside phone lines. but, most likely because you would be in reactor, you would have nothing to trade for the phone call, so you will be stuck communication with your family/sig. other through email.

do you like eating food that is stamped on the side of the box "not fit for prisoner consumption?"

would you like being woken up in the middle of the night, every night, for a reactor drill?

or how about being woken up in the middle of the night, get all dressed up in a fire fighting ensamble, complete with an air pack (total weight of 40lbs, and you will be sweating your ass off just sitting there), and fight an immaginary fire?

or having to work from 7am to 5pm every day, and then have a 4 hour watch in the middle of the night from say 12am to 4am, and then still have to be back to work the next day at 7am?

how about getting all excited to pull into some foreign port after being out for 2 months, but when you moore the ship pier side, liberty gets secured cause some fuckhead in your battle group had an incidet the night before, and the admiral doesn't want anything else to happen. so all you get is to see the country from the ship.

i could keep going....

sorry, but these are the things that they do not tell you when you are being recruited.

Top Bottom