Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ab training and hip flexors

pumptron 5002

ok, so the general consensus: in order to develop the V taper, one must train abs while minimizing the use and development of hip flexors. assuming this is valid, what are the best exercises to target abs (lower in particular), while excluding hip flexors?

some people claim that leg lifts/raises (hanging knee raises, pike raises et al.), recruit hip flexors. but in Arnold Schwarzeneger's body building encyclopedia, he alleges that in actuality, decline situps and crunches use the hip flexors more, because the abs are primarly for stabilization. furthermore, he claims that leg lift exercises target the abs MORE than hips. so you see my (and hopefully not your) dilema.

what exercises should i do to exclude hip flexors? here is a list of exercises i have done at various times: hanging knee raises, hanging pike raises, physio ball crunches with medicine ball held overhead, decline crunches w/ elevated feet, elevated feet (legs straight up in the air) arms overhead crunches, Hammer Strength crunch machine (legs and torso motion).

suggestions? thanks!

you need hipflexors to be effective in bed.

keep those in your routine...

anyway needsize's ab routine is amazing and seemingly widely done on by people on this site...with good results

you'll get some hip flexor involvement with almost all ab exercises. Keep a slight bend, about 30 degrees, in your knees during leg raises. I feel so much more recruitment of my hip flexors if my legs are straight or close to straight. When you hit failure for each leg raise set immediately start bent knee raises. Works for me.

You're not going to develop enormous obliques, for christ's sake.

So many bodybuilders are just asking to get injured.

The problem is people need to be evaluated for strength of the flexor chain: Hip flexors, trunk flexors and neck flexors and then design the proper program.

On average due to being a seated society or abuse of crunches we tend to be imbalanced and dominant in the hip flexors which can lead to postural problems and pain in the low back etc. There is nothing wrong with training hip flexors & trunk flexors simultaneously as long as there is no imbalance for most activities require both muscle groups to work togther.

The division of lower abs is a neurological one, not muscular - they are both the rectus abdominus just different ends. There are 8 sources of innervation to the rectus and the lower area below the umbilicus is innervated by the illiohypogastric & illioinguinal nerves. The function of the lower is is approx. 10 degrees of posterior rotation ofthe pelvis during movements so to prevent anterior rotation and maintain normal lordosis.

To activate the lower abs you need to have the hips flexed past 90 degrees to avoid hip flexor involvement - this is only necessary if the appropriate tests indicate weak lower abs.

The best exercises are : pelvic tilts, rev. crunches, hanging knee raise etc. Most all can be performed with or without hip flexor involvement it depends on the level of functioning of the athlete and what imbalances there are.

Here is link to a great book that details step by step how to test & train the whole abdomen correctly: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-7662615-6589419?v=glance&s=books

S :supercool

Last edited:
Top Bottom