Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

12 weeks out and counting!

Fennec

Hiya girls! I've been busy-busy and haven't been around much, lately (sorry), though I have been reading the posts, just haven't had time to write.

I'm down to my pre-comp now, 12 weeks out, and I've got a couple of questions for you folks who have competed before:

1) Omigosh, how did you handle the freakin' high heels?! I went to watch a competition in July, and was looking for details. I saw that everyone in Fitness and Figure wears those high heels with the clear plastic heels, and I am SO not used to high heels, so I went and bought some today in order to practice walking and posing in them. I played around with them for maybe 10 minutes, and the balls of my feet were already aching! What to do?? Any helpful ideas on this? I bought the least extreme of all the available selections, but I'm just not used to anything higher than your basic 1 inch pump.

2) About shaving/waxing the bikini area - any recommendations there? I've tried each in the past, and didn't think either was exactly wonderful - I liked the waxing better and it lasted longer, but the problem was, they couldn't wax again until you grow it out to a certain (itchy) length. So what's the point? Plus it was expensive. On the other hand, I got red bumps from the shaving, after a while, and the stubble starts itching right away... Eventually I gave up and just let the hair grow back to it's natural pattern.

But I believe the time is coming soon to start getting ready "down there", I just don't want to screw up my timing and get red bumps before the comp. Has anyone tried any hair removers or that Aussie Nads stuff? I called to inquire into the epi-laser hair removal treatment, but it's about $500, you have to have four to five separate treatments, spaced multiple weeks apart, and aren't allowed to tan, so that won't work at all - not enough time before the show. (Maybe I'll do that over the holidays, for next year.)

Soooo...... update:

I'm going to Tucson to get fitted for my two-piece and one-piece in about 3 weeks - starting to get so excited!!! I was able to put some more mass on my shoulders and arms in the past few months, and they've rounded out nicely - yay!

All I can think is: Only 12 more weeks to go!!!!! Diet, Water, Sleep, Train, Cardio.... 12 more weeks to go! The posters are even up at the gym, now, and people at work are saying, "I saw this big poster - is that what you are getting ready for?"

And then what's really funny is, I still have people at work trying to engage me in goofy quazi-training oriented conversations, like this guy who tells me (he's being the generous dispenser of information to the poor misguided female) "You know, in fitness circles" (here, I start laughing to myself - he just started working out again a month ago, and I've been working out consistently for almost 4 years now, and training for this comp for the past year - he's gonna impart some vital fitness news to me NOW) "there is this debate over whether people do well because of their training and diet and 'all that' or if it's all just genetics." In other words, because he has not trained consistently, and just got back into the gym a month ago (and not dieting at all - we're talking big Macs for lunch, here, this after he told me one day "I can eat anything I want when I train and lose weight") he is trying to excuse his lack of progress and downplay MY progress by saying it's just genetics. NEVER MIND ALL MY HARD WORK!!!!

I'm wondering when people at work will finally catch on that I actually AM one of 'those people'. They watch me eat my meals every two hours, every day, and yet still mention to me, "You know, 'those people' who compete have to eat every two hours." I'm like, HELLO!!!! Wake up! They just can't get that I am actually different from them - I actually have willpower and dicipline, and don't try fad diet after fad diet, but actually do the work!! And they STILL, after working with me for two years, ask me "just now having lunch?" or "late lunch today" when they catch me in the kitchen heating up my 3rd or 4th meal in the afternoon, "No, this is my 3rd meal of the day. I had 'lunch' a couple hours ago." They are so funny. Ai-yi-yi!

Isn't anybody else in my reality?

Fennec

You go GIRL!!! It is good that you are planning now...last minute stuff can stress you out...and planning and preparing are the key to success. I kept a journal and made a list of things i needed, things to do etc several weeks out. I would add things as i talked to people and made sure i was 100% ready for anything. Now about shaving...i shave every day so i am of no help, i really never get bumps or anything like that so i may be the wrong one to ask about that. And as for the shoes....you gotta practice like every day! Practice walking...posing......1/4 turns etc. You want to look natural and you want to be comfortable while you are out on stage. You will be nervous anyways so you do not need to be uneasy on your feet. You will get used to them. I love high shoes and i am comfortable at any height...but the more you walk in em....you will get the hang of it. I started practicin my 1/4 turns quite a ways out...ive learned a lot since then. look at pics in the magazines and get ideas how you want to present yourself. Maybe find a fitness girl that has competed before to help you a lil too. Make sure you pack an extra suit....in case something out of the ordinary happens and you rip it or something. Start thinking of what type of tannin stuff you are gonna use and try a few and see what looks best on u. Also makeup!! You need dark stuff, so not your normal everyday makeup you have. Make your nail appts, hair, start tannin soon etc. How is your diet going??? What are you planning on competin at bf%? Have fun with it!! if you need any advice or just an ear to listen, let me know...I was a wreck my first competition but i had a lot of people help me out so....im getting ready for a show to....Sept 29..comin fast. Goodluck and keep us posted how you are doing!!!!!!!:D

Oh and i forgot..the people you work with, they will never see the light...jealousy, envy and denial!!!!!

You go FENNEC! This is one thing I've learned from comp -- I started prepping at 16 weeks out - I was 16% bf and about 150 lbs (5'7") - I had been lifting for several years but never pulled that and diet together before - so I was sort of fat skinny with some muscle definition. When Iwas at 12 weeks, I was like "God another 3 months of this gawdawful diet" --- whereas now I see how important it is to think LOOOOOOONG term prep. Its also very exciting to do those content-related things along w/ just the usual diet/training. I guess what I called "the girly stuff" --- my trainer kept saying "Don't worry about that stufff -- just focus on your diet" - which I think is the wrong advice because you should do everything you can to hype up the excitement - and sometimes you just need something else to do besides sit and wait for your next meal.

I agree w/ new on the shoes - practice practic practice. I saw my first figure show last night and all the girls had the big heel fuck-me pumps. DON"T get shoes that aren't the clear plastic - two girls had like big chunky gold slide shoes - they looked like hooker shoes. They just stood out too much. And many of the girls did not look comfortable in the shoes and one girl almost fell over 3 different times walking out and doing the quarter turns. Make sure you can handle your balance!

As far as shaving, about a month out from my comp I bought one of those Mach 3 razors and started doing the full body shave - like part of the ritual to remind myself that I am prepping for a comp. Like you said, you initially get red bumps and it itches - but its like training - you have to spend some time "prepping" even your skin. I did it every day for that last month so I didn't get the red bumps and all. A little uncomfortable in the beginning - well now I do it every day!

Also make sure you get someone to take excellent pix for you so you bring them back to work and show people what you did -- some of them just don't get it. They will be amazed! And make sure you post them for us too!!!!!

Thanks for the advice!!

The heels I bought are the clear plastic ones, so I'm ready there. I've been tanning for weeks, but I have to go really slowly - I have all red heads on my Dad's side of the family, and I'm blonde, but I can burn if I'm not careful. So I've slowly worked my way up to 20 minutes in the tanning bed, if I can just hold it here and get in 3 times a week, I should be okay. That's going to be one of my hardest areas, making sure to get tan enough. I'm gonna stock up on some of the Pro-tan sunless tan to assist with the regular weekly tanning, then I will probably use Jan Tana Competition tan for the show. I will get some and try it ahead of time to see how it looks.

My friend is coming along to help with my hair - we cut each-other's hair and help each other get ready for dance shows all the time, so I think I'm covered there, plus I have waist length hair and it's an asset, so it will only be partially up - I want it to show when I am sideways. I'm just going to make sure I use a diffuser and a little gel so it will be curly, looks best from a distance that way.

I hadn't thought much about nails.... I had a problem with my nails for a little while last year where they started flaking really badly, but I started taking 1000 mg of Biotin daily, and they have completely recovered (thank goodness!). They are very strong, and a good length now. I'll probably just do a french manicure, don't like lots of color. Now THAT reminded me of toenails... those I had better get done, too. I like your journal idea, and list of what to do, New! I want to be totally ready and not scrambling to get stuff done at the last minute. I'm already planning on taking the last 2 days before the show off work, so I can take naps during the day if I want (in case I have trouble sleeping from excitement) and take care of all the little finishing details.

I'm planning on competing at 10% b/f. My trainer hasn't let me down yet, and if he says we'll get there, I'm sure we will.

I guess I'll start shaving now, thanks Sassy! I was getting bored with the diet about a month or so ago, but now I'm so excited, it makes it a lot easier!! It feels like I've been getting ready forever, but now that I'm down to the final stretch I am glad that I've been working hard all year, and it seems like it's only a very short time left, not a long time left.

I'll have my husband take pictures, and I'll definitely post some here! :)

Good luck in your September show, New!!!!! Are you competing in the bodybuilding side for this one or Figure again? Is it a National?? (I have missed some of the news....)

Take care,
Fennec

Pro-Grip (for golfers) is great for keeping your suit from riding up or the top from sliding around.

The plastic shoes really do look the best--try a little pad under the ball of your foot it you need to extra cushion (Dr. Scholl's or moleskin).

I think French manicures look great on hands, but toes can always use a little color. Bright (but not day-glo) reds and corals look good with a tan.

Keep us posted! Good luck!

Fennec... you sound excited & ready to go..make it a great presentation!
If shoes are slick on bottom, a little sandpaper or walking on cement will rough them up so you don't slip...
Good luck to you :)

Top Bottom