Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is pork a good chicken alternative?

Cut chris

Banned
For about 5 weeks now, I have been alternating my 3 daytime meals between poached chicken and slow cooked pork leg, obviously the fat removed, but is this slightly fatty cut still a good healthy option for eating clean to get lean? I've noticed a drop in body fat, quite a dramatic drop whilst only losing about 2kg in this 5 weeks, so all good on the outside, but is the pork good for stuff like cholesterol?.

Its higher in fat than chicken breast. Loin is a better choice.

Getting lean is about managing your calories and macronutrients wherever they come from. I would not worry much about cholesterol. I know several here disagree with me in that high cholesterol is not healthy, but regardless - our cholesterol level comes more from our intake of saturated fat than actual cholesterol intake.

I enjoy lean pork loin quite often. So much tastier than chicken breast!

I'm not going to say pork is the root of all evil but it sure is less healthy than chicken. It's not recommended to eat a lot of red meat. You can vary between poultry and red meat but remember not to eat too much of the latter.

I'm not going to say pork is the root of all evil but it sure is less healthy than chicken. It's not recommended to eat a lot of red meat. You can vary between poultry and red meat but remember not to eat too much of the latter.

Pork isn't really red meat, it's pretty much the other white meat, I eat a whole pork shoulder during the working week, along with other meat and fish, if you trim the fat, slow cook it or use loin cuts, it's a great addition to chicken. Also if you are on a low carb diet, the fat content of pork can be useful too. Too much of anything is bad, including chicken and fish, pork is a great addition to a fat burning diet.

Pork isn't really red meat, it's pretty much the other white meat, I eat a whole pork shoulder during the working week, along with other meat and fish, if you trim the fat, slow cook it or use loin cuts, it's a great addition to chicken. Also if you are on a low carb diet, the fat content of pork can be useful too. Too much of anything is bad, including chicken and fish, pork is a great addition to a fat burning diet.

I also think it's a great addition, I just don't think you should base your whole diet on it. It serves good as an addition though, eating chicken all the time would be too boring.

Pork can be present in your meals from time time, but it is certainly not a good alternative to replace the chicken completely. It is much more harmful to eat it daily.

For about 5 weeks now, I have been alternating my 3 daytime meals between poached chicken and slow cooked pork leg, obviously the fat removed, but is this slightly fatty cut still a good healthy option for eating clean to get lean? I've noticed a drop in body fat, quite a dramatic drop whilst only losing about 2kg in this 5 weeks, so all good on the outside, but is the pork good for stuff like cholesterol?.

Fattier cuts like pork and red meat are best to limit as much as possible when trying to get lean. If you eat too much of it, it will certainly negatively impact your cholesterol levels as well.

Shredded slow cooked pork once all fat is removed/ cooked out is a great alternative to chicken, and a much better option that dark red meats like beef, too much of anything ain't ideal obviously, but alternating proteins between pork and chicken sounds ideal to me.
If you were prepping for a show etc then yes cut out the pork completely, and probably increase white fish intake etc, but back to your original quote, I think your meal plan is pretty good for day to day

I would agree with most of the responses here. Pork is a good thing to replace chicken with, provided you do so in moderation. I really like pork a heck of a lot more than I like chicken, especially if you have been eating nothing but dry chicken breast for a long time.

Pork tenderloins are a great alternative and very low in fat. You can cook them whole and eat leftovers all week, or cut them into medallions and sear them like a steak in a hot pan. Plus you don't have to cook it all the way through (mid-well is fine) so it won't be as dried out as chicken breast.

Top Bottom