Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

shakes from powdered protein as meal support

Hey guys I have a question about this protein shakes you take while lifting, my daughter is recovering from early anorexia symptoms cause by an eating disorder and as you can imagine she was very very thin, thank god we were able to find out on time, she eating ok now but still it's difficult for her to have solid food, I was wondering if she can take this protein shakes to reinforce meals or this kind of products can be taken just for body building purposes, thank you.

Look for meal replacement shakes instead of just "protein". Protein itself is quite filling, and she most likely doesn't need such a large amount of protein at one time. The problem with most meal replacement shakes on the market is they are just filled with pure sugar or crap.

I get specialty powders made with pea protein isolate, oat starch powder, sweet potato powder, avocado oil powder, and veggie powders. Which contains about 40/40/20 Proteins/Carbs/Fat.

This is essentially a meal replacement blend. I tell anyone in the house to take this whenever they need to eat but don't feel like eating. I'll also drink this with my regular protein shake if I'm feeling lazy.

When it really comes down to it, protein powder is just a convenient form of protein to help meet your daily protein requirements. It's basically the exact same thing as whole food sources of protein like fish, beef, chicken etc.

If your daughter is struggling to eat enough food, a protein supplement will certainly help. Just use a quality protein powder that isn't loaded with fillers or artificial junk.

For a whey protein - you want to see nothing but that in the ingredients list. Whey protein, natural flavours, a natural calorie free sweetener like stevia and then maybe some salt, soy lechitin and cocoa powder. There are a lot of good products on the market. I personally use isolation from n2bm.com. A good whey isolate should be pretty much fat and carb free. Isolation has 26g protein, 1g carb, 0g fat per 30g scoop.

What I recommend is to buy a high quality blender and blend together the following:
2 scoops of a high quality whey protein isolate
oatmeal
natural almond butter or peanut butter
frozen fruit
banana
ice
chia/flax seeds
spinach/kale

Have your daughter drink that for breakfast each morning. It'll be a really substantial and easy digesting meal for her to start off her day with.

I think a good quality whey isolate shake could definitely supplement a good diet. The key will be eating as much calories from whole foods as possible and adding a shake in when necessary.

Top Bottom