Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dedicated newbie looking for input

yorkshirelass

Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking here for a couple of weeks and decided it was time to say hi to you all and start a bit of a journal for accountabilities sake!
My journey only started at the beginning of March this year and although I’m reading/researching all the time and also have lived this lifestyle previously for 5 years years ago, it has been a good 7 years since any form of fitness was a part of my life, so I may as well be coming at it from scratch. Therefore I’m more than happy to take on board any advice, criticism, support etc anyone has to offer.
So far I’ve seen great changes, 2 dress sizes dropped, 24 inches gone, and 20lbs off the scales, all in 12 weeks, although the last 3weeks have really slowed down.
So I’m going to post up an average days food and my training schedule and if anyone has anything to say I’d really love to hear it.
I split my training up differently every week depending on how long I’ve got, what days I can train etc. But the exercises are the same for a few weeks before I switch them round a bit. My weight increases have been steady and I now feel I’m lifting as heavy as I safely can on everything. This is taken from last week’s training notes.
Shoulders
Smith machine upright row 15kg (33lb) +bar x15
DB overhead press 12kg (26.5lb) x15
Plate steering wheels 10kg (22lb) x12
Standing Lateral DB raise 8kg (17.5lb) x12
Bent over reverse flye 8kg (17.5lb) x15
I do this as a superset and have been doing it 4 times, each run through the reps get lower but 8 is the lowest, always to failure
Back/Chest
Hammer machine row 50kg (110lbs) x15
Smith machine chest press 10kg (22lb) +bar x15
Supersetted x3
Incline DB chest press 10kg (22lb) x15
DB one arm row 22kg (48.5lb) x15
Supersetted x3
Decline chest press machine 30kg (66lb) x15
Widegrip lat pull down 42kg (93lb) x15
Supersetted x3
The last set of all the above are done to failure

Legs/Glutes
Smith machine 80 rep set, 20kg +bar, x20 lunges each leg, x20 wide stance squats, x20 feet together squats
Leg press 140kg (305lb) +machine x20, x18, x15, xfailure
Leg extension 50kg (110lb) x15, x12, x12, x8
Standing ham curl single leg 25kg (55lb) x12, x12, x8, x8
Hack squat machine 85kg (187lb) x15, x15, x15, x12(failure)
Cable kickbacks 25kgs (55lb) x20, x18, x15
Glute pushback 45kgs (99lb) x15, x12, x12
Abductors 105kgs (231lb) x30,x30,x30
Adductors 105kgs (231lb) x30,x30,x30
Seated Calf machine 50kg (110lb) x25, x25, xfailure

Bi’s/Tri’s
Ezbar curl 10kg (22lb) +bar x 12
Dips on edge of bench body weight x20
Supersetted x3
DB curls 8 kg (17.5lb) x15
DB kickbacks 8kg (17.5lb) x15
Supersetted x3
DB Hammer curl 8kg (17.5lb) x15
DB over head tri (both hands) 12kg (26lb) x15
Supersetted x3
Will sometimes pop on the tricep pushdown machine to finish @ 55kg (121lb) to failure (approx x30)

I finish all workouts with some abs, depending on what machines are free, x100 or so of a mixture of knee ups, straight leg pull ups, weighted crunches, oblique twist machine etc.
I’ll do 20 mins HIIT on treadmill or elliptical following upper body days, and 30 mins SS walking after leg day. A couple of times a week I do a hard Zumba class for 60 mins too. Plus I have a 4 year old and just 2 year old to chase after when I’m not in the gym!! I’m training 5-6 times a week, twice on the Zumba days, and hitting each body part 2-3 times a week.

Would love any feedback you have to offer. I’m feeling pretty strong on the weights side of things, probably not compared to a lot of you who’ve been at it for ages, but I’m feeling good and loving it – it’s certainly not a chore. And over the last week I’ve been invited by two different groups of guys up on the top floor (free weights area) to train with them so I can go heavier and have a spotter!! Made my day that did – hope it actually happens!

When fitday stops messing about I will post food details later, with stats etc and attempt some pics.
So for now that’s it (haha, this is almost war and peace!),
From rainy windy England,
Em x

Yorkie,

Don't know what other advice I can give you. Dropping 2 dress sizes and 20lbs maybe I can take advice from here. Seriously though, those are great numbers. My advice would be to stay focused on your goals and keep yourself motivated.

One thing you said that I like is that you split your training up differently depending on time and schedule constraints. I do this as well. It gives me a little variety, allows me to get a workout in even when time is short, and makes sure I don't neglect other aspects of my life. I've known plenty of people at the gym who have no life except work and the gym or who burn themselves out from overtraining or boredom from the same workout day in and day out.

Your post actually inspired me, can't wait to see your diet.

Rebecca D

Thanks for replying Rebecca. Your post did make me chuckle - my post inspired you!! hehe

So as for stats and food. I'm 32, 5'7", 173 lbs, (yikes that makes me feel ill just typing it!)
The numbers aren't so shocking now you see how big I am to start with eh Rebecca!

Daily calories are usually around 1600.
Macros 40P/40F/20C

Meal 1 - Flavoured porridge, 2% milk
Meal 2 - Protein shake
Meal 3 - wholemeal wrap with either loads of lean ham, dry spiced chicken or tuna mixed with greek yogurt
Meal 4 - Fat free Yogurt, handful of almonds
Meal 5 - either chicken and salad or steamed fish and greens
Meal 6 - either protein bar, protein shake or couple of tbsp peanut butter

Ok I really cannot believe I'm about to post pictures of myself in a sports bra on the bloody net - what am I thinking!! Please don't be horrible anyone, I am well aware I'm still big and have a long road ahead of me but I'm pleased with the difference so far. I'm now a 12 top, slightly loose 14 bottom, compared to 16 top loose 18 bottoms, 12 weeks ago. Pics 1,2,3,4 are from start of March, the last 4 are from last week. The sports bra is 2 back sizes smaller and there's loads less back-fat even though it's smaller, and the bottoms a medium instead of large.

Ok I can't waffle about it anymore, I'm just gonna be brave and click submit reply......aaargh.

The newly named Yorkie.

Hi Yorkie,
Welcome to the forums.. Keeping a log here is a great thing, I'm about to start up a new one, but it really helps you keep motivated and it's good to receive the feedback!
Congrats on having the balls to post up your photos.. what a good result already.
How are you finding your workout? I'm slowly transitioning from a full body workout to a four day split similar to yours?
Cheers
Rachel

Wow, you have come a long way in 12 weeks, 24 inches gone! Woo hoo!
I can see that you are building a strong foundation, and i think you will achieve even greater results with time. Your back and shoulders in particular look very nice.
I will definitely be checking in here :)
Your diet looks pretty much spot on, but I can make a couple suggestions;
Stick to plain versus flavoured porridge if the flavouring involves added sugar.
I am not a fan of fat free anything, so I would substitute full fat plain yogourt for your fat free kind. I believe we need fat in our diet, including amounts of saturated fat found in foods such as cream, yogourt, and other animal products and meat.
Keep up the great work, and welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Wow !! Congrats on your weight loss !!
12 weeks 24 inches is awesome... Keep up the good work :elephant:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to EF,

I'm having a terrible week in terms of training, my youngest is full of cold and not well enough to go to the gym creche, so it's friday now and I haven't trained since last weekend. I'm climbing the walls to get to the gym!! But today I've started feeling pretty rough myself so I think the little guy has spread his germs. My food's all been clean though, but not as many calories as normal as I just don't feel hungry unless I'm training, so I'm struggling to eat. Fingers crossed everything will be back to normal for next week as I hate not being able to train when I'm more than motivated to!

Rachel - I'm really enjoying my training at the minute. If I only have an hour I can go and do just lower body and a quick HIIT session, or if I have 2 hours I can pick a few body parts and it makes it different all the time so I don't get bored.

Trex - I know, I really should move away from the flavoured porridge but I absolutely hate eating in the first few hours of waking so at the minute this is all I can force myself to eat. I can't even substitute it for eggs as we're an egg free house due to my youngest having egg allergy, so I can't even make my breakfast healthier by swapping for eggs. And the fat free yogurt, I only eat these as they're higher in protein than some of the full fat ones I looked at but I'll be sure to check out some more and find a substitute as I know you're right. Thanks for your comments, I do hope you're right and greater results will come. This week's disappointing as the scales haven't moved at all - down to no training rather than food choices though.

Thanks Mrs P - I'm pretty chuffed with those numbers too!! Is your avatar a pic of you?

Yorkie

Trex - I know, I really should move away from the flavoured porridge but I absolutely hate eating in the first few hours of waking so at the minute this is all I can force myself to eat. I can't even substitute it for eggs as we're an egg free house due to my youngest having egg allergy, so I can't even make my breakfast healthier by swapping for eggs. And the fat free yogurt, I only eat these as they're higher in protein than some of the full fat ones I looked at but I'll be sure to check out some more and find a substitute as I know you're right. Thanks for your comments, I do hope you're right and greater results will come. This week's disappointing as the scales haven't moved at all - down to no training rather than food choices though.

Yorkie

Sorry your kid is sick, ...Hope it feels better soon :)
Even getting out for a few good walks/jogs will improve your mood if you can get away for 20 minutes. Or doing some pushups/situps/body weight squats/jumprope, that sort of thing around the house.
Don't go by the scales Yorkie, you will go bananas that way. If you are anything like me, i can put on or drop 5 pounds in a day just from water weight.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to EF,

I'm having a terrible week in terms of training, my youngest is full of cold and not well enough to go to the gym creche, so it's friday now and I haven't trained since last weekend. I'm climbing the walls to get to the gym!! But today I've started feeling pretty rough myself so I think the little guy has spread his germs. My food's all been clean though, but not as many calories as normal as I just don't feel hungry unless I'm training, so I'm struggling to eat. Fingers crossed everything will be back to normal for next week as I hate not being able to train when I'm more than motivated to!

Rachel - I'm really enjoying my training at the minute. If I only have an hour I can go and do just lower body and a quick HIIT session, or if I have 2 hours I can pick a few body parts and it makes it different all the time so I don't get bored.

Thanks Mrs P - I'm pretty chuffed with those numbers too!! Is your avatar a pic of you?

Yorkie

Yes, is me :)

I used to feel so guilty when I missed a workout. But the reality of three kids, work and life I have to accept that I will miss some workouts. Besides, sometimes rest is better than a workout....you cant grow without rest and sleep. Just spend the weekend resting your body and getting everyone healthy and hit it full speed next week.

Rebecca D--inspired even more by your pics

Top Bottom