Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What type of routine and diet for middle-aged/overweight people?

WalkingBeast

Elite Dementor
Platinum
Hey everyone!!! Im planning on starting personal training shortly, and since I dont specialize in this type of thing (training and diet for middle-aged, overweight people), I thought Id get some suggestions from everyone here. Ive read many routines and diets, but Id like to get some feedback and see whats worked the best for you or your clients. Most of my clients will probabally be of this type. What kind of routine and diet would be best? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

diet is gonna be the hardest part
you can't sit there an eat withem all day, and they are not gonna wanna stop eating bags of chips
Key here, emphasize moderation to them. They can eat the foods, but in smaller amounts.
and for routienes......K.I.S.S.
and they don't need to worry about not being as strong as others, the results will come, and if they are working hard and correctly, others will not give them flack

Hah, K.I.S.S. my Math teacher taught me that. Keep it simple, stupid. :FRlol:

Works though. Also taught me G.I.G.O. - know that one?

Anyway, I agree that diet is going to be the most difficult part, especially if (and I'm assuming they are) they're in America. Anyway, teach them proper form, give them a generic routine. Moderate volume, intensity and frequency. 2x per week, 3x8 set/rep scheme, 70% of their max and slowly increase the poundages weekly. Work on form first. 2-3 months in, maybe let them do 2x a week WS style, with a DE and ME day (not exactly Westside, but the same concept) to allow for explosiveness and maximum strength to keep them well-rounded. Just an idea.

I deal with this all the time. The best thing I have found that works for me is to give them there diets every spasificly. I tell them what to eat and when to eat it AT FIRST.
Then once they learn how to eat right and understand the basics I give them there caloric intake along with there protien, carb and fat intake peramiters and let them devise a diet and then show it to me and I will revise it if need be. The purpose is to get them involved and at the same time teach them how to eat right.Ensted of giving the fish Im teaching them how to fish. As far as the routine if they are overweight I would increese the cardio time and decrease the caloric intake till they drop the bf then swich things up when it tis time.

Hope that helped.

This is what they do at my gym for the older/new/outta shape people, i've watched this several times.

For someone totally outta shape and over weight your not gonna start them off on a "advanced" program, the personal trainers take the person, and use the hammersmith machines, 1 exercise for each body part, 1 for back, 1 for chest ect. the first think they do is find what weight the person can handle for 12 reps, they have a note book and record what they can do. They do that to each machine they go to, then the next week they start them with 1 set of 12 reps, if the person can do all 12, the next session they bump up the weight 2-5 pounds, they usually train the person 3x's a week, M/W/F.

Seems alright for the older people, as far as diet, i'm not sure, but above is what i see going on in the gym i go to.

I can't say if this routine is effective or not but it gives a good idea of something you can create on your own if you wanna. I see them doing this to people of all ages, and it seems to help.

Hope this helps abit beast.
good luck.

ThanX for all the great feedback everyone!! I can use all the information I can get! I didnt want to jump in blindly with a routine. I could easily pick a routine out of an article. Im more interested to see whats actually worked in practice. If anyone else has any suggestions Id like to hear them. ThanX again!!

Dude....you give Diet advice? How funny....(see WB's diet log)....I would say keep them away from the Hot Dogs for sure...LOL

Good Luck with your endeaver though.

callthedoctor said:
Dude....you give Diet advice? How funny....(see WB's diet log)....I would say keep them away from the Hot Dogs for sure...LOL

Good Luck with your endeaver though.

haha ThanX brother!! Yea I will be soon. I wouldnt advise most people to follow my diet, aside from those who are looking to bulk and start out skinny with a fast metabolism. Even then, Id say they should eat more calories and carbs then Ive been getting lately. My old diet was better for gaining. I used to get between 600-800 carbs a day and up to 6000 calories, protein fluctuated but it would be in the 300's at times. One day it hit 450, but this took around 24 hours, and it wasnt from clean sources! ThanX again!!

I feel bad for overweight people, but it's their own damn fault! I've never been overweight because I've always eaten healthy and have been reading nutritional labels since I learned how to read.

Some people just dont get it, but I think it's a pretty simple concept:
If you don't want to BE FAT, then DONT EAT FAT!
There are plenty of wholesome, delicious meals out there that don't include a Big Mac and French fries. Eat healthy, organic food. Most of the carbs I eat come from fruits and veggies, which are easily digestable and burnable.

I just don't understand fat peoples' ethics. Even if you use the excuse 'I'm fat because of my genetics', you should be smart enough to realize that you have 'Fat genetics' and begin a healthy lifestyle. Thats why some fat people just disgust me (No offense), it's like they're in denial. They want to lose weight but they keep eating junk food. If you're gonna keep eating junk food, then don't complain about your weight!

I was a trainer for years and had a great time doing it, you will love it bro. As for the average joe that comes into the gym wanting to lose weight you will find that motivation is the biggest factor. You have to keep encouraging them and let them know that it was just as hard for you when you started out.

I always started off slow with these types doing some kind of circuit training 2 or 3 times a week and tried to get the on the cardio hard core. You will find that a lot of people can't even make it 5 minutes on the bike on the lowest setting at first. I was in shock when I found this to be true with a lot of people. So, I always started at five minutes of cardio add a minute for each session there after and the tried to get them up to 30 minutes within 6 weeks or so. The key is not to go to hard on them at first. Most people are overwhelmed by the gym and will give up at the slightest hint of hard work. You have to ease them into things. As for diet, that one is a toughy. Most poeple will not take your advice on this. So, I usually did not get into diet until my clients were a little more advanced and I knew they had the motivation to follow through. Nothing is worse then spending time writing a diet up for someone that you know they will never use. When I did get into diet I just kept it basic. Told them to eat 4 or 5 times a day. Stay away from fast foods, sweets, fried foods etc. If you get to complex most people will not follow it. You have to remember that not everyone has the motivation that we do!

Hope this helps you some

Top Bottom