Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training for the Hard Gainer (Ectomorph)

I've seen incredible gains on my current workout. It's of the full body 3x a week nature.
Same here, two weeks and more than ten pounds. 5x5 always works for me, but I tend to get bored after 2-3 months, and then it's time for change.
Btw, my sleeping habits suck big time, but so far it didn't stop me from gaining size and/or strength.

What do you guys think about www.musclegaintips.com ?

I'm currently 5'10" and 134lbs. after a meal and have been condsidering trying this diet/workout plan to help gain strength and weight. On my current workout/meal routine I've gained about 9lbs in 6 months. I'd like to do better.

-Matt

pure_player - I've seen his workout, before he started charging for it. It's similar to the one I put up a link for.

I really think you guys should check out the workout I'm doing. I put on 10 lbs in 4 weeks. I've slipped a bit this week because my diet hasn't been right.

frorider6

Thanks. I checked out the link. The workout is definitley doable, but what is your diet like? It's such a key to the weight and muscle gain. I think the easiest part is outlining the workout regemin, but a diet plan is pretty involved.

I'm going to try out some Creatine to see if it increases some intensity and stamina during my current workouts. Hopefully that will help me get over the dead spot in my weight at 134lbs.

I noticed you were drinking two protien shakes a day with this plan. I've done the whey protien shakes after workouts before and they really didn't show any inprovement over the gains I have been making without them, so I'm not sure they will benefit me this time around either. Opinions?

-Matt

pure_player said:
frorider6

Thanks. I checked out the link. The workout is definitley doable, but what is your diet like? It's such a key to the weight and muscle gain. I think the easiest part is outlining the workout regemin, but a diet plan is pretty involved.

I'm going to try out some Creatine to see if it increases some intensity and stamina during my current workouts. Hopefully that will help me get over the dead spot in my weight at 134lbs.

I noticed you were drinking two protien shakes a day with this plan. I've done the whey protien shakes after workouts before and they really didn't show any inprovement over the gains I have been making without them, so I'm not sure they will benefit me this time around either. Opinions?

-Matt

Matt - Actually, I drink 3 shakes a day. And not the pure protein ones. I love the Triple Threat stuff from Mass Quantities but it's backordered right now. Look for one that has high protein and carbs. You want an MRP (meal replacement powder) type thing. I like mine to have 60 grams of protein each.

My sample diet -
7am Breakfast - 4 eggs (only 3 yolks) with 1 of the following: toast/waffles/oatmeal

9:30am - Shake

12pm Lunch - Mostly Subway. 12 inch sandwich and low fat chips.

2:45pm - Shake

6:15pm - Shake. As soon as I leave the gym. It's in a cooler in the car waiting for me.

8pm Dinner - Whatever I can stomach but protein is the focus.

Also, drink a lot of water throughout the day. It helps with digestion, energy levels, fat burning, etc. Most people are dehydrated. It's a pain to piss all the time, but it helps.

I also get the impression you're young (I may be WAY off. Sorry if I am). If so, your metabolism is raging. Mine was too.

pure_player said:
[I'm going to try out some Creatine to see if it increases some intensity and stamina during my current workouts. Hopefully that will help me get over the dead spot in my weight at 134lbs.

Do not try to eat too clean or focus on supplements when eating to gain. First of all, get your carbs and then worry about protein and fat. At your current weight, I wouldn't worry about anything and go for junk food at least once a day ;) My post-workout meal today was two Big Mac's with 1 liter of orange juice. If you're training real hard you should be able to eat like that all day.
So, creatine is ok, a shake with significant ammount of carbs in it is good too, but first make sure you're eating enough and do it every day without excuses.

frorider6,
Thanks again. I'll look into some MRP and give it a try to see if it helps out. BTW, I'm 24, not sure if you consider that young, but my metabolism is screaming fast. I can thank my father, he's about 5'9" and still maybe 150lbs.

zlivan,
Thanks for the suggestions. Currently, my diet is just trying to eat five times a day and take in around 3200 calories. From the info I've gathered, it seems I should be biasing my diet with stuff like brown rice, egg whites, outmeal, turkey, chicken, and fish. I'm not a big fan of any of that, but if it's what I need to do than that's what I'll do. I'm kinda a pasta and red meat fan myself, maybe that's why I'm stuck where I am.

-Matt

frorider6 said:
pure_player - I've seen his workout, before he started charging for it. It's similar to the one I put up a link for.

I really think you guys should check out the workout I'm doing. I put on 10 lbs in 4 weeks. I've slipped a bit this week because my diet hasn't been right.

I started the Cornholio's program right around the time Fro did, and I've gained 12 pounds in 4 weeks. This program is INTENSE.
I've thickened up considerably. Lifting more weight than ever before. I eat 6 meals a day, 10g Creatine, 2 protein shakes....and I have the results.
I'm also finding my weak spots pretty damn fast too. Grip, etc.
People are freaking when they see me now. It is noticeable.\

Fro's right, do check it out.

(Any Comments / Criticism Appreciated)

First, let’s begin by defining the ectormorph physical type:

Ectomorph : The ectomorph is the extreme somatotype. An ectomorph is characterized by smalls bones and very little muscle mass. An ectomorph will have a very steep angle in his or her thorax, and the ribs are closer together. Ectomorphs are generally better endurance athletes than bodybuilders by nature, and may excel in cross country running. That is not to say an ectomorph cannot bodybuild. It is very possible to achieve great gains in mass and strength regardless of being an ectomorph.

Usually you will commonly see hard gainers in the gym. There are many reasons for this, and the most powerful of all being the ability to change his or her body to look very mesomorphic. If you are a hard gainer, it may take a lot of work to help you achieve a
mesomorphic look, but with proper emphasis on nutrition and training, it’s not only possible but inevitable. With each workout, you will get stronger, and your body will get used to your newly adopted training lifestyle. In little time, you’ll probably find the
bodybuilding way of life becoming second nature. If you keep hard at work, what you can get out of bodybuilding are almost limitless, but only in terms of the physique you’ll sculpt for yourself, but you’ll also enjoy higher levels of confidence and self esteem. Enough with this introduction, now let’s start talking about how you can achieve your bodybuilding and fitness goals:

Training Frequency

The hard gainer approach to bodybuilding is based on a system in which you perform three to four workouts per week, divided in a split, so that you train each body part only one single day a week. It might not sound like much, but you’ll be surprised just how far you can go with this. Most hard gainers will contest to working out on three non consecutive days per week, as illustrated in the sample split seen below:

Monday: Chest, Biceps, Abs
Wednesday: Shoulders, Legs
Friday: Back, Triceps

As you can see, training with just such a split allows you to hit each body part one day a week, and as mentioned above, you would be surprised just how much you can get out of a simple split such as the one illustrated.

On the other hand, you may want a split where you are working some body parts together as a unit, because they are all synergistic. An example of this type of split is illustrated below:

Monday: Chest, Triceps, Shoulders
Wednesday: Quads, Hamstrings, Lower Back, Glutes
Friday: Biceps, Forearms, Abdominals

The reason for such a split is due to the fact that some movements, such as bench press, work more than one muscle. While the primary muscle being worked in a bench
press exercise is the chest, the triceps and the front deltoids also do much of the work. It is important to remember not to train a body part when it is still sore. As a result, the split above will prevent anyone from doing so, and is preferred by many beginners.

Remember Basic Movements!

The most important of all exercises to remember as a hard gainer are the basic movements to use as the principle aspect of your mass building training. For the larger muscle groups, such as chest, back and legs, you should pick two large, basic
movements, and for the smaller muscles such as triceps, and forearms, only one will be adequate. Below is a list of some body parts, and the basic exercises which are associated with them.

Body Part Basic Exercise
Quads, Glutes Squats, Angled Leg Presses
Hamstrings Stiff - Legged Dead Lifts
Lower Back Dead Lifts
Lats Seated Cable Rows, Front Lat Pull Downs
Trapezius Barbell Shrugs
Shoulders Military Press, Upright Rows
Chest Barbell Bench Press, Incline Barbell
Bench Press
Biceps Regular Grip Standing Barbell Curl
Triceps Close Grip Bench Press
Forearms Reverse Barbell Curls
Calves Standing Calve Raises
Abdominals Crunches

Keep Sets Low

There is no need to perform a lot of sets for each body part below is a list of recommended sets for the beginner (each performed one day per week in a total body split).

Body Part Number of Sets
Quads, Glutes 6
Hamstrings 6
Lower Back 6
Lats 6
Trapezius 3
Shoulders 5
Chest 10
Biceps 6
Triceps 6
Forearms 4
Calves 6
Abdominals 4 - 6

Matt Canning

You should mention the cons of the split. Only problem with a split like this is that your muscles are not getting the adequate training needed. If you train your chest once a week, muscle deterioration is occurring within 72 hours. Granted you will put on size, but still if you want an adequate schedule you are better off going with a 4 day split training upper/lower twice a week hitting the same muscle groups. mon/thurs upper; tuesday/fri lower. Wed rest, sat rest, sun rest. that is ideal than there is no possible way any muscle deterioration can occur with that split and would be an ideal split for any athlete.

Top Bottom