Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats and lunges: w/ barbell vs. dumbells

nEwSkIn

Hi!

Today was leg day for me, I did squats and lunges using 2 heavy dumbells on each hand. Boy, it was tough! I mean, especially on squats, I had to use a lot more whole body strength (arms, shoulders and all included) to keep the weights steady, instead of having a bar resting on my shoulders.

Now, my question is: is there any advantage of mixing up leg day like this? do I get anything from dumbell squats and lunges that I wouldn´t get otherwise (using just the barbells)??

thanx ppl!

My guess is that at some point you will be able to squat/lunge far more weight than you can carry in your hands. In which case, it would turn into a forearm/trap workout instead of a lower body workout.

this is a little off topic but I've always felt that lunges were a waste of time. I've always stuck with just heavy stuff, squats, hack squats and sometimes leg presses, and if you've seen the pics I just posted in the pics forum, my legs are big and well balanced.
Just my 0.02

Lunges can be good for strengthening muscles around the knee (like the VMO). They helped me overcome patella tendonitis in my right leg.... Still working on getting rid of it in my left :(

Top Bottom