Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Shoulder pain & clicking

haploid

Ok, so yesterday I was doing shoulder presses, and into the second set my right shoulder felt like it was "hung up" on something, so I pushed harder, and it made this popping/clicking sensation.

After my set, my shoulder hurt pretty badly, so I did some light shrugs, assuming my stabilizers weren't properly warmed up or something, then tried a 3rd set.

Same thing, every rep. I finished the set anyway because I *hate* not finishing, but my shoulder really hurt like a bastard afterward.

After about an hour the pain went away, but I've still got to ask. Does anyone know what this is? Should I be concerned? I don't want to have to skip or go light on shoulder day, since it's probably the most underdeveloped part of me.

You were cold bro. This used to happen to me a lot when I first started training because I refused to properly warm up. With any injury from training, no matter how small it feels, you should always lighten it up a bit because you have no way to assess exactly what you did. If the pain persists with basic functionality or the pain is sharp, you need to stop. Better to lay off and allow for recovery than try to push through and end up costing yourself weeks off of training when it becomes serious. But as far as this clicking shit, it has always been a matter of not warming up, for me. I'd throw in another set or two of light warm ups before your working sets or maybe more reps in your warm up sets. You should be fine by next shoulder day.

zxe003 said:
You were cold bro. This used to happen to me a lot when I first started training because I refused to properly warm up.

Damn, these boards are better than any doctor :)

I've always hated warmups because it lowers my strength a bit, but I tried your advice:

I started my first set of incline bench today; result: same thing as what happened on Monday with shoulder presses. So I stopped after the 2nd rep, dropped the weight in half, warmed up for 3 sets, and tried my work set again. Voila, no clicking or pain!

Glad to hear it bro. Alway make sure to get in those warm up sets...you'll never go wrong. And remember, the warm-up sets are just that...WARM-UP. They don't need to be super intense, and the weight you use shouldn't be that heavy at all. In some cases you may even just use the bar. Personally, I like to use a weight equal to about 40-50% of my 1 rep max. I can usually pump this much weight out for about 15-20 reps without considerably sapping my energy.

i messed up my right shoulder a bit doing dips off a bench. it was only bodyweight and i was well warmed up, but i think i dipped too low. i took about 2 weeks off, then eased back into training. it doesn't hurt too bad now, but on chest and shoulder day, it does ache some. it's a tendon, i think, not a muscle thing, since i feel it right behind the top of the bone at the top of my shoulder. hopefully it'll fade. everyone be careful of going too low in bench dips.

Top Bottom