Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Proper deadlift pulling technique and preventing injuries

A

anabolicmd

B-Folds recent hamstring injury reminded me of how important proper technique is when pulling heavy weights from the floor. I remember discussing deadlifting technique with him after watching a video of him performing deadlifts. I noticed that when he pulled the weight off the ground, the bar started out 2-3 inches out in front of his shins. He felt that the motion of the bar coming towards him as he lifted it, helped him get the bar past the kness, a sticking point. We agreed to disagree on it, and I wasnt about to tell a strongman how to lift too many times.
But humor aside, this type of technique is a sure path to injury. The reason is, you dont want the heavy weight to move back and forth, and you dont want it swinging back into you when you lift it. The bar must start out as close to the body as possible, feathering the shins. That way, the entire motion of the lift is vertical, straight up. It is the most economical and efficient path for the bar to take, and it keeps the body in the same axis from start to finish. Notice that if you start the bar out in front of your shins, your whole body will have to shift slightluy backwards as you adjust to the bar coming into your body from a few inches away. This is not good, for the body needs to only go up, not side to side or backwards.

I should also add that this applies to any excercise where the bar is pulled of the ground, I.E. cleans, pulls deads etc.

That's the way it is pulled in powerlifting. Starting with it by the shins is olympic style.

The idea is to pull up and back, not straight up.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. By pulling up and back more weight can be pulled. Pulling straight up is great if you are going to clean the weight.

The shoulders should be slightly behind the bar in the powerlift, and shoulders ahead of bar in the olympic lift.

StrongChE said:
That's the way it is pulled in powerlifting. Starting with it by the shins is olympic style.

The idea is to pull up and back, not straight up.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. By pulling up and back more weight can be pulled. Pulling straight up is great if you are going to clean the weight.

The shoulders should be slightly behind the bar in the powerlift, and shoulders ahead of bar in the olympic lift.

Im sorry, but the physics of lifting knows no style, neither does kinesiology. I am speaking in terms of efficiency and safety. How can a less efficient, less stable style result in lifting more weight?

There is a distinct difference in the way an olympic lifter pulls as compared to a powerlifter.

The olympic lifter has a much more arched upper back. In powerlifting we maintain an arched lower back, with a neutral upper back. This style is necessary for this sport.

The powerlifting wants to be pulling back, while the olympic lifter is pulling straight up.

There is a distinct difference in leverage when pulling the bar back. Personally I feel less strain on my lower back as compared to clean pulls.

Yes, hamstring injuries do occur, but it is probably because we try to ellicit a strong stretch reflex from it during our movements. Could be from overuse too, and as you stated from our pulling style.

I would define style as the setup of the lift, and the leverages put into place.

Why is the powerlifting style less efficient and less stable?

Your views are very interesting. If you have any references to the biomechanics of olympic lifting and powerlifting, please PM me with them.

anabolicmd said:

But humor aside, this type of technique is a sure path to injury.

First of all...NEVER EVER refer to my technique as how I got injured!!

DON'T EVER CALL ME OUT ON A THREAD, EITHER!!! It isn't appreciated...

You have not a single clue of what I was doing when I tore my hamstring...do you???

There are ONLY 2 other people that know what took place...because there were only 2 other people besides myself in the gym that day and NONE of us have even seen it on tape.

For Your Information...I tore my left hamstring while doing a SUMO DEADLIFT...and guess what??? I began with my shins completely against the bar and it was dragging up my shins when the hamstring tore.

By YOUR logic...it is more dangerous to pull with the bar against the shins...because "humor aside" I tore my hamstring doing it YOUR way.

LOTS of people pull with the same style that I do... The idea that starting the bar farther out in front is that it allows ME to pull back more and the bar does NOT get stuck at my knees. The bar does NOT have to go fwd to go over my knees. If you start with the bar against the shins...the bar path is close, far away, then close again because it must go out in front of the knees to pass them. When I pull...it starts that way and goes straight up and back.

Get your facts straight before you EVER make an attacking post towards me...EVER.

B True

anabolicmd said:

Im sorry, but the physics of lifting knows no style, neither does kinesiology. I am speaking in terms of efficiency and safety. How can a less efficient, less stable style result in lifting more weight?

I am afraid you confuse biomechanics with physics.

The bench press would have the least work done with a ROM of a half inch or so with your hands out over your hips/knee area. This would be the "best" way, i.e. most efficient in work done, in a purely physics problem. THe fact of the matter is that the virtual front raise you are doing is not biomechanically suited to using heavy wieghts.

Its ignorant to assume there is only one way to do anything. Unless said thing is limited by its own definition. Deadlifts are not limited in this way and can be done multiple ways depending on many factors.Body type being the major factor. JMO

Re: Re: Proper deadlift pulling technique and preventing injuries

b fold the truth said:

First of all...NEVER EVER refer to my technique as how I got injured!!

DON'T EVER CALL ME OUT ON A THREAD, EITHER!!! It isn't appreciated...

You have not a single clue of what I was doing when I tore my hamstring...do you???

There are ONLY 2 other people that know what took place...because there were only 2 other people besides myself in the gym that day and NONE of us have even seen it on tape.

For Your Information...I tore my left hamstring while doing a SUMO DEADLIFT...and guess what??? I began with my shins completely against the bar and it was dragging up my shins when the hamstring tore.

By YOUR logic...it is more dangerous to pull with the bar against the shins...because "humor aside" I tore my hamstring doing it YOUR way.

LOTS of people pull with the same style that I do... The idea that starting the bar farther out in front is that it allows ME to pull back more and the bar does NOT get stuck at my knees. The bar does NOT have to go fwd to go over my knees. If you start with the bar against the shins...the bar path is close, far away, then close again because it must go out in front of the knees to pass them. When I pull...it starts that way and goes straight up and back.

Get your facts straight before you EVER make an attacking post towards me...EVER.

B True

I was just using your experience as an example to explain the importance of proper technique when pulling heavy weights off the ground. If you disagree, you are welcome to reply and comment. And as far as the bar position at the beginning of the pull, it doesnt "go in then out then in" at the knees, it goes straight up past them. Remember, just because its common practice, does not mean it is proper technique.

StrongChE said:
There is a distinct difference in the way an olympic lifter pulls as compared to a powerlifter.

Shouldnt they both use the most efficient, effective and economical motion? The bar doesnt know whos pulling it, and pulling a bar back does nothelp it go up. Pulling it up does.

Top Bottom