Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Proper deadlift pulling technique and preventing injuries

anabolicmd said:

So Hatfield and Poiliquin are full of crap, thats your argument? Good one.

NO. My point was that they are certainly NOT infallible, and perhaps often wrong.

MY POINT is that if you really want to know the validity of something you go as close to the source as you can. You say there were these official competitions in 1964? If there were then there should be 1st hand documents on them. As far as Ben Johnson's squating before the 1988 record goes, I went as close as I could to that event by finding commentary from his coach, Charlie Francis, saying that not only did that not happen it was an impossibility. I don't have his refference handy. You can believe me, or go to his board yourself and ask, or just ignore everything i have said to this point as has been the trend in the thread.

anabolicmd said:

Also, you keep criticizing me for not considering biomechanics, even though the whole point of this discussion is about how different bodies have different biomechanics as it relates to their ability to lift the bar along the ideal trajectory.

No you came out and said Bfold this is (probably) why you injured yourself. Then you offered a critique based upon overly simplified physical knowledge. I critiqued you saying that you did not have a complete picture and also later that you were using a straw man for reasoning.

anabolicmd said:

Have you actually read my posts? It sure doesnt seem like it.......

Arguing in a discussion when you arent aware of what is being discussed nor the meaning of the words you try to throw around is a real troll characteristic.

The irony again is rediculous.

I was never "arguing in a discussion" rather i was critiquing your argument because it did not and does not have a solid basis.

I have to disagree with the idea that an individual's personal accomplishments are irrelevant in terms of evaluating the merit of their arguments. I agree that stats and personal accomplishments are not the only relevant factor, but they are relevant to me.

If a person has bad stats because they have not been lifting for very long, that is a factor I throw into the equation when deciding how much merit their arguments may have. Similarly, if a person has been lifting for a long time, has a ton of experience, and yet still has bad stats, I have to wonder whether they know what they are talking about. Do they just have horrible genetics? or are they missing something?

If someone has great stats, I ask, how did they get them? In some cases, it is only because of raw genetic power. However, that is the rare exception, especially at high levels of achievement. Nine times out of ten, a person who has accomplished much in weight training knows a thing or two and should be listened to. Dave Tate, Louie Simmons and Dr. Squat come to mind. I also listen plenty to those that that have coached champions even though they may not have been excellent in their own accomplishments.

However, when someone comes in with very authoritative sounding statements that contradict many accomplished lifters, I find it appropriate to dismiss that person's statements unless they can give me some indication that they know what they are talking about--e.g. personal stats, coaching stats or references to individuals that have personal stats or coaching stats---or, although I don't think I have ever seen this, a well stated argument as to why everyone who seemingly knows what they are doing is wrong, and this person is right, even though they have no stats and no coaching of champions to prove it.

This is not to say that those that are new to the game or those that for whatever reason do not have great lifts never have anything relevant or helpful to say; however, it would seem that these kind of people should not be making statements that are contrary the statements of those I list above.

anabolicmd said:
B-Folds recent hamstring injury reminded me of how important proper technique is when pulling heavy weights from the floor. I remember discussing deadlifting technique with him after watching a video of him performing deadlifts. I noticed that when he pulled the weight off the ground, the bar started out 2-3 inches out in front of his shins. He felt that the motion of the bar coming towards him as he lifted it, helped him get the bar past the kness, a sticking point. We agreed to disagree on it, and I wasnt about to tell a strongman how to lift too many times.
But humor aside, this type of technique is a sure path to injury. The reason is, you dont want the heavy weight to move back and forth, and you dont want it swinging back into you when you lift it. The bar must start out as close to the body as possible, feathering the shins. That way, the entire motion of the lift is vertical, straight up. It is the most economical and efficient path for the bar to take, and it keeps the body in the same axis from start to finish. Notice that if you start the bar out in front of your shins, your whole body will have to shift slightluy backwards as you adjust to the bar coming into your body from a few inches away. This is not good, for the body needs to only go up, not side to side or backwards.

How much do you deadlift? Must be a lot, since you're so knowledgeable.

JT Iron said:
Was it something I said?

I heard a rumor that you got some RED karma from this post...

I guess that it was seen...but not important.

I'll hit ya...

B True

b fold the truth said:

I heard a rumor that you got some RED karma from this post...

I guess that it was seen...but not important.

I'll hit ya...

B True

lololol

I'd hit you back but it would be a little grey. :(

:D

Top Bottom