Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Powerlifters please chime in....

SPEKTOR-AAA

Okay so I will be starting a new schedule for training in a few weeks and I need some ideas. Ill tell you what I WANT to do and you give me an idea how I can achieve that without overtraining any specific part.

I am focusing on functional explosive power. My workouts will be based around:

Benchpress
deadlifts
squats
hang clean
clean and jerk

I workout Monday-Fridays, weekends off. I want to do this on a 5x5 schedule but how should I space this out so I dont overtrain. For example should I do hang clean and deadlifts same day? Bench and clean and jerk same day? Thanks for you thoughts.

D

i like 3 day splits, although i am on a 4 day for a moment (see my log)...

mon
bench
light(er) squats
hang clean

wed
deadlifts

fri
heavy squats
clean and jerk

seems good for what you have imo...
i was doing,

mon
bench
squat
db pullover

wed
deadlifts
military press
db row

fri
squats
bench
clean and jerk

now im doing,
mon
heavy bench
squats

wed
deadlifts
squats

fri
light bench
squats

sat
squats

it is hell and im only on week 1... like i said, check out my log...

it is hell and im only on week 1... like i said, check out my log...

I did, its like 3 different programs mashed together. You run the risk of overtraining, it can't be done, its unsafe, its impossible, unimaginable, its.. its.. its INSANE.

More is not better.

KISS is best(keep it simple/stupid).

Some of the best and most knowledgeable lifter's have been quoted saying 3 days a week is best and sticking to a handful of basics and getting really strong on them is best.

With that and mind and using a 5x5 typical layout I would go with this setup with those exercises which is just a variation on the old school recommended 5x5 and if I remember right is quite close to what Bill Starr recommended for football players:

monday
squat 5x5/1x3
bench 1x3
row 5x5

wednesday
clean and jerk 1x5
deadlift 1x5

friday
squat 1x5
bench 5x5/1x5
hang clean 5x5

The 1x3 is a different progression scheme. Higher volume style would be 5x5 squat on monday with a set weight. Then friday squat 1x5 with a heavier weight. Lower volume would be 1x3 squat or bench on monday and then 1x5 squat or bench on friday. Then simply add 2.5-5lbs on monday and repeat. Either method has you going up 2.5-5lbs a week, but obviously doing 5x5 gives more volume=more total workload.

Both are good even if you get to the point you can't add weight every week. At that point you can stay with the weight till you get all 5x5 and 1x5 that week or if it takes 2-3 weeks to go from say repping 250x3 on bench to 250x5 that's ok. In that case you would just build up the reps as you can both on monday and friday till you got all 5 and then go up 5lbs and drop back to 3 reps.

If you use the lower volume method make sure you do 4 progressively heavier warmup sets of 5. When I do the high volume I still do 4 heavier warmup sets as well so the 5x5 is alot more volume overall.

If you haven't checked it out I would go to the training vault and check out the 5x5 and link to Madcow's webpage. AWESOME write up on 5x5.

I do 3 days a week, if I can rep it 5 times, I add weight, I keep the iron real close to my max. I move up every week, even if its only 1/2 a rep.

I did, its like 3 different programs mashed together. You run the risk of overtraining, it can't be done, its unsafe, its impossible, unimaginable, its.. its.. its INSANE.

i am not reccomending for him to do what i am... i suggested what i had with his intended lifts and was simply sharing my previous split, and my new one...
week one was not that bad, and as week 2 begins, my only concern so far is the bench program... but i just have always fell short of being even decent at bench... but it still made notable progress even after 5 squat workouts in 8 days...
i WILL finish my programs... simply because I AM INSANE... ive ran some cycles, and im doing this OFF, just to make things even more fun...

This is what Im doing bro.

Monday

Light Squat 4x5
bench 1x5
Power Clean 1x3
Pullups 3x5

Tuesday: HIIT Cardio

Wednesday

deadlift 1x5
BTN Military 1x5
clean and jerk 1x5
row 5x3

Thursday: HIIT Cardio

Friday
Heavy Squat 1x5
bench 1x3
hang clean 1x5
Dips 3x6

Saturday: OFF

Sunday: HIIT Cardio

Last edited:
I’m doing the 5x5 duel factor and all I changed is instead of rows I’m doing power clean it worked very well I use to do rows but I realize when I clean my squat is much easier and if you looking for explosiveness then do one time a week instead of regular squat do box squat which is popular by power lifters

Top Bottom