Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Mountain bike suggestions

FL3X MAGNUM

Plat Hero
Platinum
Mountain bikers....
I have not cared about mountain biking in about 6 years. I need to get back into it. What are some good hard tails and FS frame bikes that would keep me under $500? I don't need an indestructible high tech $2000 bike just yet. And I can upgrade parts later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using EliteFitness

I think the one I was looking at was the Diamondback Overdrive. Priced just under $500. Over time, I can imagine I will invest at least another $500 customizing here and there as I get back into it.

The Trek I was looking at is the Marlin, but those seem hard to come by on my web searches.

Specialized is the way to go! I've been ridding for almost 20 years. They have great bikes under $1,000. Trek is very popular, little pricey imo. I loved my Giant, but depending on where you live there hard to find.

Sent from my ADR6350 using EliteFitness

Specialized "Myka" or 'HardRock" are both great bikes, and there in the $400-700 range.

If you can't find a dealer, call and ask about any left over last year models. I got 40% off from them when I asked. Bought a 2010 that was brand new because there 2011 models were in.

Sent from my ADR6350 using EliteFitness

You should consider buying used off Craigs list or EBay. You can get a lot more bike for your money. Bikes that are a few years old go way down in value because they don't have all the latest bells and whistles, but ride great. People are always upgrading as they get more into the sport, and selling their old stuff for cheap.

Buying a 500 dollar bike and adding 500 dollars of upgrades is never as good as plunking down $1000 right from the start. Individual parts are expensive. Much more bang for the buck buying the upgraded total bike.

Where do yoy live and what kind of terrain will you be riding?

I would also mention that at the lower price ranges, there are a lot more compromises with full sus bikes than hard tails. A cheap FS is probably not worth upgrading because of the cheap shock and inferior design. Cheap hard tails on the other hand, can sometimes have really nice frames. That Hard Rock frame looks pretty sweet.

Thanks man. I've been looking on Craigslist a bit lately and it looks like I am going to have to be patient unless I want a 2000 model lol...
I live in MI and plan on doing a bit of riding in the U.P. on the Olympic practice trails up there. They're a bit rough, some decent sized jumps, platforms, ruts etc etc, but when I used to ride them I had a cheaper bike and it held up decent.
Biggest problem I remember was keeping the wheels round lol.

I just checked Detroit Craigslist. Definitely a different bike market than in Denver, as you might expect. EBay might be better for you. I bought my latest bike off Ebay. A pretty sweet 3 year old Intense for $1800 that would cost about 4k new. Shipping should only be about 50 to 75 bucks, so its not that big of a deal to by from someone far away.

Top Bottom