Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how many squats routine a week

andersson jbl

I was wondering how many what's the max number of squats sessions I can do in the same week, I usually do 2 5x5 but my legs seem not grow, is it ok to jump to 4 times a week?

its possible your genetics simply suck. yeah if you are a long lanky guy you will never grow big legs

not everybody is born to build huge legs. you can increase volume but you need to not over train either as you will put too much pressure on your knees

Training legs twice per week should be more then enough. Remember that when you are in the gym - you are actually breaking down your muscles. It's when you rest and recover that your muscles actually grow and repair.

I suspect your issue is your squat form. Are you squatting rock bottom?

Hopefully this image helps -

squat-form.jpg

While it is indeed possible to develop some quad mass from squats even the quad master Tom Platz did more than squats. Look at it this way the greatest squatters of all time, either in reps or sheer weight who ONLY did squats don't have the best thighs.

One of the best leg workouts I ever, assisted by the writings of the late Paul Borreson, had me doing 50 rep sets and triple drop sets. I'll write a brief note on that as well as what I do now.

The workout that had me sore in 4 hours.
Leg extension pre ex - 50 reps and triple drop set stack down
Leg Press - as above. In those days 200-kilos or so
Squats - 20 reps sets with about bodyweight

It took about 40 minutes and I had to take a bus home. Crawled onto my sofa and slept for 4 hours to wake with sore quads.

What I do now
Leg Press: up to 700-kilos x 10 reps
Power Squat Machine: up to 420-kilos x 8 reps (all both machines will hold)
Seated Leg Curls: the whole 20plate stack +6 stacker plates x 12 reps
Leg Extensions: as per the leg curls
Even with these weights my legs are 'ok'. If I upped the reps and did a little more volume they'd be bigger. There is separation but I've had that since day one.

I only squat once per week but twice seems like plenty. Try to go heavy with low reps one day and light with high reps the other day. Both days make sure form is perfect. If you aren't growing then maybe it is diet related. You might just not be eating enough.

5 Sets of 5 Reps

Experience Level: Beginner
Goal: Strength
Equipment: Free weights
Intensity: At least two reps shy of failure
5x5 is an old-school strength method that works incredibly well for adding pounds to the bar. Low-rep sets of five let you go heavy, but 25 total reps give you enough volume to add some muscle mass, too. For safety's sake, stop each set shy of failure to maintain proper form.

1 Set to Failure

Experience Level: Beginner
Goal: Muscle Gain
Equipment: Machines
Intensity: Failure
Using a single set of failure can spark quick muscle growth, especially for beginners. Research suggests that experienced lifters need more volume, but rookies can use machines to safely exhaust their muscles. But be careful—this method will leave you sore and tired.

4 Sets of 8 Reps

Experience Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Goal: Muscle Gain
Equipment: Free weights or machines
Intensity: One rep shy of failure
Intermediate lifters with more muscle mass need more volume to keep growing. Four sets of eight reps allow for heavier loads to add mechanical stress while stopping one rep shy of failure adds a solid amount of metabolic stress to force muscle growth.

10 Sets of 3 Reps

Experience Level: Advanced
Goal: Maximal strength
Equipment: Free weights
Intensity: Two reps shy of failure
Strong athletes can handle more volume with heavy weights. Ten sets of three reps allow for lots of heavy, low-rep sets to build massive strength and keep perfect form. This rep scheme works best with barbell lifts like the Squat, Bench, and Deadlift.

Top Bottom