Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

bros help...training and job-related stress not getting along

kiosk

I have a rather stresfull job as an IT manager...on average put in some rather intense 8-10 full hours a day. I feel that stress is getting in the way of my training/diet and overall progress. For example, last night I slept well 8 hours, but felt weak during training and couldnt focus so I just got pissed and left early....any of you bros have to deal with this too? what do you do?

how old are ya? i've had to reconfigure things many times in my life to fit in work & training. sometimes were better than others. i found that i do better before work, than after. you just have to keep trying, anything worthwhile is going to be difficult...

Yep. IT Architect over here with very young kids. Things that I've done that help me through the workout:

- 30 min power nap before it
- ECA
- think abou the crazy IT manager in the office :D
- realize that sometimes you aren't going to be in the mood to work out

what helped me was:

- to shorten the ways, e.g. not going home first, eat, rest and then work out, but eat a decent meal with an espresso on the way and go straight to gym after work - that really helps to go to the gym in the first place, and you have some spare time left after it for other nice things. Getting a nap before didnt help me at all, it was always a struggle to get up and motivated for gym after that, and i always feel kind of weak after sleeping as well

- getting a decent programm you really can get excited about - that was the 5x5 SF for me.

- keeping the programm short, not going to failure, and not having a ridiculous amount of heavy sets on one muscle group - you will feel much fresher on the next workout

- getting 8 hours of sleep more than one day in the week :) - lol and getting told that lack of sleep isnt impeding hypertrophy. I really dont know if that is true, but it really helps to know that you didnt mess up your whole training after working 13 hours in the night or even 24 hours straight.

good advice guys...thanks.

EnderJ...I happen to manage a team of 12 IT Architects...you guys drive me f'ing nutz man!! (j/k)

I am 30 with small kidz too, i can only work out in the morning due to having to support projects in different timezones....the hardest part is focusing on the workout when you know you have a full boat of day stress ahead of you....and yea ECA all the way baby!! but even then on the weekends I can workout so much better......

some good advice from some good bros up there.
i'm a network architect myself though my present job doesn't stress me out.
however my previous job had me work as an onsite technical support+presales support exec with a software vendor. that was stressful beyond belief. i could get a call anytime from clients/prospects and had to run to attend to alot of them. email &phone support didn't always do the trick. we also had too many clients and not enough of us. the most stressful part of that was that the job was in bombay and travelling the length and breadth (sometimes 2-3 times in a day) of that city by public transport is REALLY stressful because of the crowds who are constantly on the move added to the oppressive heat & humidity. i'd work 12 hrs most days and when i got home sometimes i was too tired to even cook. we worked 6 days a week but given that downtime was an issue, we worked on sundays and late evenings (and sometimes overnight as well; even after a full days work). and then there were trips to nearby towns - wake up at 3am, leave home by 5 (eat, shit, shower etc), inter city bus at 6.15 - 6.30 am from the other end of the city, sleep as best as possible in the bus and your in the next town at 9.30 to be at the clients place around 10am. then sometimes work till 9pm in various parts of the town (we'd try to cover as many clients as possible while we were there). then back on the bus by around 9.30pm and in bombay at around 12.30am (yes: the next day). another 1 hr to get back home from the bus station and its around 1.30am. around 20hrs out of the house, always on the move. the first thing i'd do was to throw my clothes off me and jump into bed. and all this because the boss didn't want us to spend money on hotels and stay overnight. oh and the next day your back in the office. on one occasion we required 3 days out of bombay and the boss actually told me to come back and go back again the "next" day. now you can do the math: i'm back at 1.30am and then i have to wake up again at 3am, less than 2 hrs later and start all over again... he wanted me to do that for 3 consecutive days! so instead, i went one day, then i came back and my colleague went the next day while i did a full days work in bombay. then i was supposed to go back the 3rd day. the alarm rang and i did not open my eyes. when i finally opened my eyes it was 7am! i was so frickin tired! and yes, i got blasted by the boss for that. initially when all this started, i stopped working out. i wasn't eating enough and lost nearly 60lbs in 4 mths! i also became really sick and continued going to work through it. finally, i decided to try and bring some order back. i went back to the gym and tried to eat big for at least 5 days a wk. sometimes, i'd miss my workout and when i did go, after work, i'd usually be pretty tired. i managed to gain some weight back, went up to 185 from 170 in around 3 mths, but strength gains were still alot slower. the stess was still there and even though i made some progress, it was far from ideal.
my solution was simple... change jobs - i couldn't take anymore of that high tech slave labor. but having said that obviously, the best thing would be to workout before you go to work. also, something which can't be overemphasized enough is your mental resolve and toughness. you have to sit down and really tell yourself inside your mind that you will do it.... psyche yourself. this is a testing situation and don't expect a quick fix that will miraculously give you energy... there is none. only your mind can do that for you. and you'll have to keep reminding yourself over and over again so that you stick to it. or you could just switch jobs like i did ;)

oh ya, another thing i forgot to mention, i workout 4x wk so i did 2 days over the weekend - something i stick to even now.

kiosk said:
good advice guys...thanks.

EnderJ...I happen to manage a team of 12 IT Architects...you guys drive me f'ing nutz man!! (j/k)

I am 30 with small kidz too, i can only work out in the morning due to having to support projects in different timezones....the hardest part is focusing on the workout when you know you have a full boat of day stress ahead of you....and yea ECA all the way baby!! but even then on the weekends I can workout so much better......
The other idea that comes to mind is more pills. I used to workout at 5:30 am because it was the only time. Then we started working with client at the other end of the country and I moved the workouts to 9pm or 10pm and take some sleeping pills right after to sleep (because I'm too worked up).

I had a pretty stressful job that involved workin long hours pretty much 4 days out of the work week. It also sucked that it was a 35 minute commute (i know it's not bad compared to some places, but still sucks, esp. in an SUV w/ gas prices like they are). It killed my energy and desire to even go to the gym to even do curls. Basically, even with rearranging my schedule to get a nap in before going and all, I ended up changing jobs into something with less stress and more free time to go to the gym.

Top Bottom