Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Working out from home...

BMIII

Hi all...first post - have been reading the site since Dec.03 however. I've a question(s) I'd like to ask:

Here's a small introduction of myself as it'd be kind of rude to just ask a question and remain a complete stranger abroad...atleast to me it would be.

21 yrs old - 5'8" in height, 130lbs in weight. Very active in highschool (now taking college classes) played football / ran track / martial arts - pretty active - graduated in 01'...

We're now in 04'. I've basically been very dormant when it comes to any kind of sport/workout regimen since my highschool days. To my credit though I kayak about 1-3 times a week and sometimes do isometrics after I wake up. I'm not completely out of shape...and due thanks to my massive metabolism - I eat and eat yet .. manage to have a very moderate / skinny frame... as you'll soon see.

Right...well last December I _finally_ decided to get back into shape once again...by shape I mean strength and appearance. I plan on working out from my home and not in a gym...not because I have anything against going to a gym...really it's just because (my excuse) I like to be able to maintain myself independently and not have to rely on other factors - say...a dedicated training partner...gym hours, time wasted driving there and back, etc. I do understand the PRO's to going to a gym probably FAR out weigh the CON's...nevertheless...working out from home is the choice I will stick with.

So...I bought a bench and a set of weights (300 lb total - 45lb bar): http://www.impex-fitness.com/proddetail.asp?ModelNumber=PHC 764

Image: http://www.impex-fitness.com/images/Phc764-250.jpg

I started taking multi-vitamins: GNC:megamen

Image: http://www.gnc.com/images/product/1702121.jpg

And finally I started to do research/reading to form a plan of action...which ultimately lead me to this awesome board...

NOW that that's out of the way...haha and if you're still reading...

Treating myself as a beginner...what would be the best essentials to heed while I begin (re)training?

- have a set weekly workout plan (so many damn choices it turns me blue in the face)
- warm up then execute
- drink plenty of water daily
- eat plenty of clean foods a day (hate fast food and sodas regardless - never consumed - thx to upbringing and taste)
- take multivitamins
- (???) what suppliments would be best after workout(s)
- keep a workout log
- sleep plenty 7-9 hours
- do it all over again with enthusiasm and ever present goals maintained

Am I missing anything? What other tips should I take into consideration that you believe I must do in order to get the best result each and every workout - for the future? and that doesn't include going to a gym haha...I could see that answer coming. I'm almost starting to get confused trying to decide which plan of action I'd like to follow...HST, DC, 5x5, etc...so much information out there.

-- I've read the stickes ..would just like live opinions on situation.

Thank you for reading! Here's how I look now with the obligatory black square around face to mask my secret super identity...

Image: http://home.earthlink.net/~boundless_1/jan-26-04.jpg

I would send that back and get a power rack if possible. The leg developer is pretty much useless when compared to squats, dead lifts, stiff legged deads etc. For your back, doing pull-ups will be better than the lat contraption. You will get much a much better value from a rack. Plus you can do dips as well. Can't beat 300lbs of weights (unless of course you get 600lbs), a bench, and a nice power rack. For your workouts, try Needsize's 5x5 routine. Check out the sticky at the top.

For your weight and heaigt, I would eat everthing in site (I wish I had that problem) if your goal is to put on mass. Stay away from the powdered weight gainers and stick to lots of whole foods. Welcome to the boards.

Great advice...unfortunately I already built the bench and've used it for about 2 weeks...it's great for chest and back...I don't plan on using it for legs, etc as I have other means of training them. I do plan on buying a pullup/knee up station to work shoulders, abs, back more. The power rack I looked at and even thought about purchasing but money/room constraints ...that's how that story goes.

..might invest in some whey protein and that's about all...eating...oh yes, I can definitely do that. Thanx HodgeMN for the tips.

Welcome to the boards!! What are your goals? Im assuming you want to gain some size and strength? I wouldnt worry about avoiding fast foods with your metabolism. Eat everything, and be sure to get in a good amount of protein , calories and carbs each day. For your bodyweight, atleast 130 grams of protein a day, prefferably 200+ if possible. Id reccomend a higher volume routine then the ones mentioned, but thats just whats worked for me. Experimentation is your best bet since we all respond differently. As for kayaking 3 times per week, that could slow size gains, since cardio can interfere with gains. If you eat enough that wont be a problem. Personally Id stay away from the kayaking unless your goals are more endurance related. You said strength and appearence, but Im not really sure how exactly to interpret that. How much strength, and by appearence, what type of appearence. Stay consistent and youll reach your goals!!

Hey WalkingBeast...my goals are most likely to add on another 5-10lbs of muscle in the next 3-5 months and to get ripped in the neck, chest, arms region. I was thinking about taking some protein sometime soon...glad you recommended it. And yes, I'm definitely not going to kayak as much...not just because it's winter, but I don't want to work against myself in trying to develop the type of muscle I'm looking to form...tight muscle...as opposed to loose.

Thanx for the motivation man!

Top Bottom