Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What every woman should know about stubborn weight loss...

Superfrk

What every woman should know about stubborn weight loss...

A recent study has confirmed what women have known for years -- you lose fat faster from different parts of your body regardless of the type of exercise you do.
The study, published in the Journal of Applied Physiology, tracked a group of 31 women during a 6 month training program. At the beginning and end of the study, body fat levels were measured using a sophisticated technique known as dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA for short). This allowed the research team to establish precisely WHERE the women were losing fat.
What did the training program involve?
The training program consisted of 90 minutes of training, five days each week. Because the routine was designed to enhance the performance of military-specific tasks, much of the program involved various military drills, running, and multi-joint exercises (such as the squat, bench press, and barbell press).
What did the results show?
Despite the fact that the women exercised for almost 9 hours each week for 6 months, they lost just 5.7lb of fat. This highlights the importance of getting your diet right if you want a faster rate of weight loss.
It's also interesting to note that of the 5.7lb of fat lost, 2.9lb came from the trunk. The rest came from the arms, even though the women did NO specific exercises designed to "tone" their arms (such as tricep kickbacks).
Moreover, despite the high volume of work performed for the legs, there was no reduction in fat content -- providing more evidence that performing hundreds of repetitions for a certain bodypart will not reduce fat from that area alone.
Based on these findings, the research team proposed a "hierarchy" of fat loss that differs according to gender.
· Men lose fat first from their trunk, then their arms, followed by their legs.
· Weight loss in women appears to be greater in the arms, followed by the trunk, then by the legs.
The term "trunk" simply refers to the parts of your body that aren't your head, arms, or legs.
So, what's the "take-home" message from this study?
Firstly, it's clear that "spot-reducing", that is, trying to lose fat from isolated parts of your body by performing hundreds of repetitions for that area simply doesn't work. If it did, the women in this study would have lost the majority of fat from their thighs.
Yet the results showed the opposite was true. Average fat loss over the 6 month study was greatest in the arms -- despite the fact the women did no specific arm exercises.
Second, although many women want to lose fat from their hips and thighs, that's actually the last place it goes from. One of the main reasons concerns the ratio of beta and alpha receptors on fat cells in different parts of your body.
Let me explain.
Just like a car, your fat cells have a series of brakes and accelerators. The parts of a fat cell that accelerate the release of fat are called beta receptors, while the parts of a fat cell that put the brakes on fat loss are known as alpha receptors.
The distribution of brakes and accelerators on each fat cell explains why certain parts of your body lose fat faster than others. For example, there are more brakes (alpha receptors) on the fat cells in your thigh than your stomach.
Although there are supplements that take the brakes off fat loss by "shutting down" the alpha receptors (yohimbine being one example), there are only a handful of studies evaluating their long-term effectiveness.
Short of surgery, the only solution to losing "stubborn" fat is a blend of hard training, good nutrition, intelligent supplementation, and a good dose of persistence.
Reference
Nindl, B.C., Harman, E.A., Marx, J.O., Gotshalk, L.A., Frykman, P.N., Lammi, E., Palmer, C., & Kraemer, W.J. (2000). Regional body composition changes in women after 6 months of periodized physical training. Journal of Applied Physiology, 88, 2251-2259

Why you can lose fat and still not look any better in the mirror...

Japanese researchers have shown that you lose fat from different parts of your body, depending on whether you lose weight with exercise or diet.

Where does my body store fat?
Publishing their findings in Medicine and Science in Sports & Exercise, the research team showed that dieting leads to a greater reduction in visceral (pronounced viss-er-al) fat -- the fat that protects your internal organs.

Exercise, on the other hand, has a greater impact on subcutaneous (pronounced sub-cue-tain-ee-us) fat. Subcutaneous fat is stored just under your skin, and has the biggest impact on the way you look.

The minor effect of dieting on subcutaneous fat could explain why dieters can lose a lot of weight, but remain unhappy with the way they look.

The women in this study took part in a 13-week exercise and diet program. One group followed a low calorie diet, combined with 1-2 days per week of exercise. Group two made no change to their diet, but exercised 3-4 days each week.

What's the difference between exercising and dieting?
While both groups lost fat, the results showed that the women who exercised lost more subcutaneous fat than those who relied only on dieting.

Group Fat Loss Subcutaneous Fat Visceral Fat
Exercise - 6lb (3kg) - 4lb (1.9kg) - 1.8lb (0.8kg)
Diet - 4lb (2kg) - 1.1lb (0.5kg) - 3.3lb (1.5kg)

The loss of subcutaneous fat was almost 4 times greater in the women who exercised.

Visceral fat loss was greater in the women who dieted.

When the results of both groups were combined, the researchers found a link between exercise frequency and the loss of subcutaneous fat. In other words, the more often you exercise, the more subcutaneous fat you'll lose.

There was no link between exercise frequency and changes in visceral fat.
In short, if you really want to look good naked, dieting alone isn't enough -- you'll have to exercise!

GREAT POST!!! I agree w/ spatts.. you can not spot reduce..with a good solid training program you should be hitting all parts of the body...Yes the less we shove in our pie hole the better the results will be:) It is so simple but yet we make it so complex!!!

Fascinating! Thanks so much!

I can't wait to share this with the members in my Group Exercise classes!

Short of surgery, the only solution to losing "stubborn" fat is a blend of hard training, good nutrition, intelligent supplementation, and a good dose of persistence.

:bawling: There's just no wishing it away, is there?

I wish I could get that across to some people I know...god bless them I love them to death, but they won't listen. They think if they do 200 crunches and get on the stepper for 45 minutes two days a week, they should lose their weight and their "pooch". Live and learn.

And I agree with VooDoo Lady, I wish we could wish it away.....

This study shows the importance of the Alpha2 adrenoceptor and its influence on fatty acid mobilization... the areas with low Alpha density is where fat is lost from first... However to say that spot reduction is not possible is fortunately not true( mentioned, but not delved into, by suprfrk :) ). Alpha blockade using yohimbine will allow you to lose fat from "STUBBORN FATTY DEPOSITS"... It is effective, though I agree that the long term solution will have to include estrogen management (the loss of the fatty deposits helps with this by reducing aromatic conversion of the limited amount of testosterone that women have.. which will also help with fat loss and reduce fat re-accumulation)...

The use of Yohimburn (note my subtly biased preference :) ) or other topical yohimbine formulation will help with the LOCAL loss of Stubborn Fat tissue.... Yohimbine thus delivered will allow you to lose fat that otherwise would be VERY difficult to lose or would not be lost until most of your other deposits (non alpha 2 rich) had been used up.

Top Bottom