Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Trying to gain weight. What's a good workout routine?

JustKeepGoing.

Hey guys title says it all. I'm not a new lifter and I've actually plateaued out here doing 3x8 for my main lifts. I mainly want to gain weight (5lbs to be exact) but I still want to see strength gains. Do you think that something like a 5x5 or a 3x3 or hell even a 10x10 would be better suited for my goals?

This is a common problem that we all have, we get "addicted" to our favorite routines, favorite bodyparts, etc. I do it far too often....

Any of those routines could work wonders for you, there's only one way to find out which one....

Also remember that what you eat/how you eat plays a big part

Yup and have to switch it up. Personally, I like to alternate between 6-8 and 8-12 reps for my main exercises, and occasionally dip below to see how much I can 'really' lift, on my big compound lifts like squats, bench press, military press, and deadlift.

Have to find what works for you. I like to do a routine that doesn't change much for 4 weeks, then sub in a new exercise and do that routine for 4 weeks. After a few of these, then switch up the rep range and sometimes the rest interval between sets.

Like EZ said though, size (either bigger or smaller) is mainly influenced by diet.

Thanks for the discussion on the topic gaining a weight.

You should take proper diet and healthy food and take good supplements for gaining the weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find I grow best with a crazy switch up ...

I stay on 2 weeks with one steady lift

Then switch it up after that

Example

8-10 reps for two weeks

Super sets 15-20 reps for two weeks

Antagonist muscle groups 4-6 reps for next two weeks

Then throw some 10-12 reps for two weeks in there

Then nothing but drop sets for two weeks ....

Then I do muscle shock for two weeks go super heavy for three then drop weight for 30 reps ... Not standard drop set as if u dropped weight 4-5 times 10 lbs each time

It's crazy heavy then fast twitch light weight

And so on .. I always change the rep range and weight

Sometimes I keep it consistent for 4-8 weeks I just listen to my body

For a solid year I got "addicted " to my standard lifts and range

But as soon as I totally confused my body started seeing amazing results

U need to work ur quick twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers .... Also stabilizers dint get hung up in machines

If u keep ur range and supersets drop sets etc all over ur body will be forced to grow cuz ur throwing everything short of the kitchen sink at it !!!!

Sometimes we get nervous to step out of our comfort zone when it comes to lifting but I assure you when you take that step things will change dramatically...

I can't speak for everyone but I can speak for myself and about 30 clients I have trained also my lifting partner gets great gains from that style

Oh yea eat lots of clean food ... Thats a given though

I like to gauge it like this

On a cut I do 12 calories per lb of body weight

For nice slow gains that I keep I use 16 cal per lb of body weight

U can play around with the numbers

But good starting point for most is 15 cal per lb to see some gain depending on ur body type

Dang I just had seen how freaking old this was lol

: /

Need to pay attention lol

My mind is on this leg lift I'm fixing to hit I guess ha ha

Top Bottom