Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Devil Is In The Details!!

bigdho

When it comes to tricep work. Ive been going through my tricep workouts as of late with lack-luster results.

Yesterday I was going through my tricep routine as usual and as I was on my 2nd set of skulls I heard a loud voice say " tuck in those fickin elbows!"
So I did. After I finished the set I got up to see who was yellin and to my suprise it was a local semi -pro soon to be pro Sean Cook. As my workout progressed he evaluated all my movements and concluded that on all my tricep movements my elbows were not in close enough. But Im not talkin any major distance Im talkin an inch or 2. Well today the longer the day gos on the more my tris hurt. I love it, I havent hurt my tris in forever! So my point is the next time your workin tris pay attention to the details keep those elobws in tight to your head and I promise you will thank me (or hate me) the next day.
~D~

BIGDHO said:
When it comes to tricep work. Ive been going through my tricep workouts as of late with lack-luster results.

Yesterday I was going through my tricep routine as usual and as I was on my 2nd set of skulls I heard a loud voice say " tuck in those fickin elbows!"
So I did. After I finished the set I got up to see who was yellin and to my suprise it was a local semi -pro soon to be pro Sean Cook. As my workout progressed he evaluated all my movements and concluded that on all my tricep movements my elbows were not in close enough. But Im not talkin any major distance Im talkin an inch or 2. Well today the longer the day gos on the more my tris hurt. I love it, I havent hurt my tris in forever! So my point is the next time your workin tris pay attention to the details keep those elobws in tight to your head and I promise you will thank me (or hate me) the next day.
~D~

form form form. you were setting yourself up for some sore elbows young man.
here is an article about form from rickey dale crain ( 2000 inductee to the
Powerlifting Hall Of Fame, 5 Time World Champion, 10 Time National Champion, Has competed for 35 years and broken over 100 National,
International and World Records,2 Time All-American Powerlifter in College
Winner of the 1976 Pan American Games):

Form, style and technique are everything.

Only in the world of powerlifting, when one is asked how to improve one's lifts, are we encouraged to try this new routine, or asked, "What is your routine?” If I was a baseball player, I might ask what technique do you use to swing the bat, increase bat speed or shorten the distance the bat travels? I would not ask what routine you use to become a better hitter. If I was a football player, I might ask what technique should I use to throw the ball more accurate or faster/harder? Surely I would not ask what routine would I use to accomplish it.

If I was a shot-putter, I would surely ask what form and style do you use to throw the shot 50-60 foot or more, not what routine did you use to accomplish the feat. So why in powerlifting is the first thing asked and the first thing offered is a routine? We don’t ask how do we accomplish the lift the best way possible. The strongest do not always win. Instead, the best prepared and the ones who perform the lifts flawlessly are the ones who win. It is a goal orientated and a performance orientated sport like all others, so form, style and technique should be the first thing on the athlete’s mind, as well as the first thing on his agenda when trying to improve his lifts, i.e. his max single.

I believe the reason we do not focus on form is that we have been influenced by our brother sport, bodybuilding, and its results orientated status. It has a big influence because of its popularity in magazines and books aimed at bodybuilders. It is, however, a different sport and has different goals and needs. We should not confuse the two, and allow it to get in the way of our goal as a powerlifter. Our goal is to become not only stronger, but in how to display that strength in the most productive way, i.e. a big single max lift.

As we look into this phenomenon, let us describe what we are trying to accomplish. To describe this phenomenon, we need to understand some very simple terminology. Therefore, we shall agree on the following definitions:

Form: The shape or appearance of a thing that makes it identifiable, and/or the nature, structure, or essence of a thing, considered apart from its content, color, texture, or composition. It is visible, distinct, or discernible.

Style: A way of doing something; especially a way regarded as expressing a particular attitude or typifying a particular period (i.e. old style/school). A self-confident willingness in exhibiting skill or quality.

Technique: The procedure, skill, or art used in a particular task. The way in which the basics of something are done. Skill or expertise in handling the technique of something. Special ability or knack.

All three are separate and distinct, but all come into play and overlap in any sport when trying to achieve that maximum result.

There are many areas of each lift: the squat, the bench press and the deadlift, that are effected by form, style and techniques.

Feet: in, out, straight, flat, raised

Hips: going back, staying where they are, raised

Hands: in, out, open, closed, palmed, on the bar, on the plates, on the collar, tilted in, out, straight

Head: up, down, straight

Arms: down, up, tilted in, out

Breathing: how much you breathe, when you breathe

These all affect each other and in turn make up your form, style and technique, in conjunction with your body type and style and the length of your limbs, etc. These are just some of what is needed to be looked at to insure the best outcome of the lift.

Your stroke (distance traveled) on the lifts, you can alter the distance traveled dramatically on the bench press and deadlift, but not so dramatically on the squat as to effect the increased or decreased leverage. So, as we begin to look at these always keep in mind: form, style and technique is everything.

The squat and bench press seems to be more brute strength, but to excel at the deadlift, I always had to learn to finesse it up.

I know for a fact that when lifting, through all the hundreds of state, regional, national, and world records I broke I was not the strongest on the platform. Instead, I was the smartest, the best prepared, and had the best form, style and technique.

Powerlifting became an official sport in 1963, thanks to Bob Hoffman and York barbell. The three powerlifts: the squat, the bench press, the deadlift are a true measure of strength and power. All are used, with success to train for almost all other sports in the world. When that contest time rolls around, however, the one who is the strongest does not always necessarily win. Rather, it is the one who displays the best combination of strength and power and is able to produce the big numbers coupled with form, style and technique. As in any sport these components are important and will usually be the difference in winning and losing. Better form not only yields more weight lifted, but also lessens the chance of injury and down time in training. Staying free of injury is as important as anything else, as longevity in this sport is determined by your health. The longer into your training career you go, the higher the numbers will be.

Good artical! couldnt agree more. It seems if you train alone you let your self get lax about the little things that are some times more important than anything

i catch that problem for tris myself
the last training partner i had was great, he would guide my elbows in when they drifted and kept me from droping my elbows down (we incline french presses, which i got great results from)
i wish there wer more solid lifters at the gym i'm at know, it's a yuppie fitness club

d3track said:
the last training partner i had was great, he would guide my elbows in when they drifted and kept me from droping my elbows down (we incline french presses, which i got great results from)
i wish there wer more solid lifters at the gym i'm at know, it's a yuppie fitness club

Man I hear ya there!

d3track said:

that should be one of the jobs of a training partner- to watch your form.
thats one thing mine does, almost to the point of annoyance. lol
where do you live/train?

BIGDHO said:
In most gyms you have to pay through the nose to have a "trainer" follow you around.

he doesn't train me, we lift together. i'm sure most people think he's training me till i yell at him to push harder or make him go heavier.

Sugarplum said:
he doesn't train me, we lift together. i'm sure most people think he's training me till i yell at him to push harder or make him go heavier.

LOL right on. Id love to have a ripped hot young girl like 110 lbs screaming in my face calling me a pussy cause I was stuck on 405 on bench. I can see it now... :)

BIGDHO said:
LOL right on. Id love to have a ripped hot young girl like 110 lbs screaming in my face calling me a pussy cause I was stuck on 405 on bench. I can see it now... :)

i'm not ripped, hot, young, or 110lbs.
lol
but i do have a big mouth. :)

Top Bottom