Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Setting goals

BabyMuscles

Since I've never worked out for more than two weeks at a time, I'm not sure how to set reasonable goals. I know what things I want to improve, but am not sure what time limit to set for them (1 month, 3 months, 6 months...) In general, I would like to

~ Lose inches from my waist
~ Firm abs and strengthen core
~ Improve lung capacity
~ Decrease body fat % (currently 17.4%)
~ Define my muscles

I just started training Monday, but I think I will set my schedule like this:

Tuesdays - biceps, triceps, shoulders, abs, cardio (25 min)
Thursdays - hams, quads, glutes, calves, abs, cardio (25 min)
Saturdays - back, chest, abs, cardio (25 min)

As for my diet, I'm trying to change a few things such as eating more protein, cutting down carbs, butter, cheese and saturated fats, cutting out mayo and peanut butter, etc. I am also looking into starting a protein supplement. A typical day might be:

~ Breakfast: bowl of wheaties (or some cereal) and a yogurt cup
~ Lunch: grilled chicken salad or turkey salad
~ Dinner: meat (beef, chicken, pork, fish) and maybe a veggie
~ Post-workout: tuna or chicken

I guess that's about all for now. Any input is appreciated... thanks!

okay... your goals look good (except for a little point that i'll rant on in a second)... it's good to see that you're not out to "loose weight" as most, because lean mass (anything not fat) weighs much more than fat, you're just out to take up less space...

as far as your training goes, if you are out to decrease bf, you'll probably want to up the cardio... maybe do some cardio activity on an off day or two (M,W or Su)... doesn't have to be in the gym, go for a hike, play a sport etc... something fun that doesn't seem like work...

you might not be eating enough, depending on how hard you're training... and all-natural peanut butter is a great source of healhty fats just a thought if giving up peanut butter is difficult...
healthy fats are equally as important as protein and complex carbs (which you also need, so add a sweet potato or other complex carb to your lunch and/or dinner), my rule of thumb has always been to eat a balanced meal... protien, carb and fat (in whatever %age works for you, i believe this to be a personal thing)...

so generally you're on track... to stick with a routine you need to give it some time to work and then adjust and tweak and fine tune when you get to know your body better... this is a realtionship, you wouldn't dump a guy after a week or two (well, if he was a real jerk, maybe :) ) so give your body an equal fighting chance....
------------------------------------

just a little rant, (have to warm up it's been awhile, those of you who know me can understand)

you say your bf is 17.4% and you don't work out (for more than 2 weeks at a time???) what are your stats? (height/weight etc)... you do know that the average (healthy) woman is between 22-25% bf, the average athletic woman (which from your post i take it you are not), is 15-18% (and many even higher...)

okay, either you are genetically gifted or your method of bf measurement is skewed... (to be accurate, bf should be taken from more than 2-3 locations)... if it is correct, get yourself a trainer and adjust your routine, you really could be on to something (i damn well wish my bf was below 20 right now... but i'm fat and lazy and a new mom so i digress... :) )...

alright i'm out...
phem

Phem, Just wanted to step in and tell you she has pic's on this thread. She has a great build. IMO. :D

I agree with what Phem said except that I would Up the weight training days to at least 4. Don't limit yourself to the amout of time you are giving your body for improvement. Everyone is different. You will notice improvement daily and sometimes when having a bad day you will feel like your body is in reverse. DON'T let this discourage you. It is something that happens to everybody. Get to know your body, this can take some time, tweaking diet, weight training, and cardio.

If you feel you have to set a goal now set a long term goal like 6 months. And if you meet that goal before then set another goal. :D . Good luck and keep us updated.

SB

pics on this thread? are pics completely hidden from non-platninum members b/c i dont' see anything?!

as i said, if that figure is accurate then girl, you have a gift which, if you are serious about getting into the training scene, can take you a long way... i've had to battle the skinny fat gene my whole life (i fit into small clothes but jiggle doing it :) ick... ) so i'm jealous of those who are much more genetically inclined than myself...

when you're just starting out, i think 3 lifting days is good... (you might be sore and want the time to recover :) ) but you'll want to work up to 4+ days a week training, i used to split cardio in the morning and weights in the evening... not fun to spend so much time in the gym but it becomes an addiction...

the main point you have to do is stick with any routine for 6 weeks, you'll never know what works and does work if you don't give it at least that long...

Height 5'2" and weight 129 lbs. For my bf% he used measurements from my upper arm, mid-thigh, and beside my navel. Do you think maybe the % is wrong? I would consider myself pretty much lazy, therefore, I was blessed with good genes. Aside from dancing with friends and waiting tables, the most active I've been was when I ran track in high school (5 years ago). Here are the pics I posted in the other thread:

Picture 1: May 2003 Picture 2: August 2003
f096bc8b4fcce3c5a545b9b4fc97c073.jpg

I'm thinking of swimming for my extra cardio day, that's something I've always enjoyed. I think for right now since I'm just a beginner I might stick with 3 days of weights, at least until I can walk again :p: Once I get used to lifting I will change the frequency of my workouts. Thanks!

I understand what you are saying about 3-days verses 4-days. I tried the 3-day thing also but I prefer the 4. My question would be if she split the body parts up more wouldn't it be the same? I am also kinda new to this, I am by no means an expert. But this is how it was for me. I stuck to the 3-day for 1 week and it was like I was barely doing anything so the next week I went to 4-days and felt like I was able to give more attention to each muscle group.

nice arms!

you have a good frame from what i see...you should be able to get some great results from weight training... you're probably one of those people who looks at a weight and gets a nice pump :) i hate you already :)

after a few months of training you'll probably want to lift 4 or 5 days but right now it sounds like 3 is your comfort level... getting throught the first couple months consistently is the key, after that it becomes habit/lifestyle...

swimming is great for cardio, awesome for lung capacity...

you didn't write down what you're drinking (which is almost as important as what you're eating...) lots and lots of water... especially if you swim a lot, you forget that you need water because you're in it... when i was training hard, swimming never worked for me b/c i used to drink 2 gallons of water a day and even looking at the pool would send me running to the bathroom :)

as far as the pics go, what's the time difference between them, it might just be the pose (or this cruddy monitor), but you appear a lot thicker across the back/shoulders in the second pic...

Ohh well if your are getting really sore then yep I must take back what I said and agree with Phem, three then in a month or so up it to 4. Sometimes I forget my body is wacko! :D

Top Bottom