Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need Answers/Advice - Aesthetic + Athletic

If you want to perform or look like an athlete, you'll need to train like one. What you have posted here is somewhat of a bodybuilding routine which negates legs and uses too many machines. I understand where you're coming from though; when I first started out every machine looked appealing because it looked like it would hit muscles that I couldn't have otherwise trained, but that is not true, nor is it effective, nor is it an athlete's workout. Here's a much simpler workout. You'll want to start doing some Olympic lifts for the power/acceleration you want in your game as well as some heavy legs. Pull-ups, rows, and presses will be sufficient in giving you that v you're looking for. Also, quit spending so much time on your abs.

Day A
Power Clean
RDLs
Barbell Shrugs

Day B
Front or Back Squat
Pull-up
DB Lunge or Step up
Bent over row

Day C
Bench Press, Incline Bench or Military Press
DB Bench or DB Shoulder Press
Barbell Rollout

this is the core of your weightlifting. You'll need some sprints and plyos if you want to truly help your athletic performance, but this is the core of your lifting. Stick to these basic exercises, dont get so worked up about accessory stuff and dont eat junk

Awesome, thanks so much man I appreciate it!

I do use a lot of machines, for the exact reasons you mentioned. I'm just not familiar with too many different, effective free-weight routines so I opt for the machines that are blatantly obvious. In terms of the ab-workouts: I also do modeling, so I sort of need to continue that aspect. I'm trying to create a plyometric routine to add with some footwork and agility that I'm adding as well. I try to find a happy medium between running, lifting and lacrosse training and unfortunately I only have so many hours. I usually train for about 5 hours a day, which often includes hours of lacrosse-specific practice. But, you're right: I'm at the point where strength is going to be my biggest asset, as I've already logged hundreds of thousands of shots/passes so I'm going to focus more on my body.

Just a note, I can't do bench press or anything with that horizontal grip; my shoulders pop a little bit when I lower the bar/weights and it's mildly painful, so I stay away from that. I'm also having recent back problems, and I think it has to do with weight being placed on my spine, so i'm also trying to stay away from shrugs if possible. I still do them, but it doesn't feel great. Any alternatives to work traps/that area?

This may be redundant considering I already posted my goals but... If I can put on a solid 15 lbs. of muscle in the next year (keep in mind: my diet is currently no better than a regular person, I don't eat well and my training isn't as consistent as I would like considering the time I spend outdoors doing lacrosse-specifics) and continue to improve my running/explosiveness, I'll be getting quite a bit of playing time for a Top 5 D1 school, and that'd be pretty sweet! And believe it or not, I'd actually throw some credit towards Elite Fitness, love being able to get advice from people who know what they are doing, unlike me! Thanks so much!

Top Bottom