Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is this workout for real?

Sol

Hi I have a trainer I know. Who has me doing a completely different routine then I have ever done.
Basically he starts me off for 3 months doing a full body work out.
And also eating much more as I am trying to gain some muscle.

The routine basically is

1. Deadlift 1 set
2. Lying leg curl 1 set
3. Squats 1 set
4. Calf raises 1 set

Etc etc Same for back etc 1 set.

Basically he has it all programmed and I go once a week only. I do the set to complete failure. Time and number of reps are recorded. the next week I go we always add weight. I have been going for a while and it seems to be working, as the weight has gone up each week and the reps are near the same.
He says the important a[prt is the resting period and the eating.

Does this makes sense? Or is this a weird way to work out. I have been working out for years with growth but not getting anywhere lately.(32yo) This seems to work, but still not sure. He says it is based lossely on th eMike Mentzer program?
Any opinions?
Thanks

Some questions:

This is basically a full-body workout done once per week right?

Are you doing slow reps?

Are you doing the "minute between sets thing?"

your trainer may be stupid, he may be smart

Your trainer maybe stupid, he may be smart
This is HIT. The idea is to get to total muscle failure. Needless to say, with this routine, what you give is what you get.

HIT recommends doing a 2:4 cadence, 2 seconds on the concentric phase and 4 on the eccentric movement. Also, if your trainer is spotting you, you MUST break through the pain barrier for this to be effective. HIT is about INTENSITY! Don't stop when you are "tired" or "done." Stop when you can't move the weight another inch with good form under your own volition, no matter what the pain threshold. There, hold it, statically for 5-20 seconds. Ouch, huh!

If you trainer is making you do this wily nily and just saying "go for reps, when you are tired, quit" then you won't make good gains.

Additionally, I would break up the routine so you aren't doing total body on one whole day. Have your trainer make a split twice a week that will train the whole body. No more than 2x / week is really necessary.

Lastly, I don't know if squats after a deadlift is a good idea. Your lower back might be compromised if your form isn't 100%, and your legs are already fatigued from deadlifting, and you won't be able to lift maximally on the squat. I do squat first on one day, and deadlift first on another day. They are both heavy lifts that require 100% concentration, and 100% effort to get maximum results.

$.02 here
NFG

Speed

Thanks everyone for the replies, actually I enjoy the workouts, I hate them but love them. I like going all out, one thing though he says to explode up with speed and slow down? I know HIT cyperpump site says lift with a 2 sec up and lower 4 second.
His idea is to explode up as fast as I can and then lower under form? Does the speed really matter?
My gains have been progressing though????? I do agree though when I do my whole body I feel taxed and dead when we get to arms. Body feels it has been through war.

Lastly I am new to deadlift and it seems deangerous exercise. Basically I am doing 230 9 times to failure. At the moment. But don't know if I should skip it.

HIT no doubt

No doubt,

This is HIT. The point of one set per bodypart is INTENSITY. If you are doing a whole body workout and YOU feel that your intensity is suffering by the time you get to arms, then you need to split up the routine, no doubt. You will be suffering intensity for duration! Deadlifts, I usually don't do more than 6 ... they can be rough on your back if you do too many, even with good form! Deadlifts add incredible thickness to your mid and lower-back. They are ESSENTIAL-if you can tolerate deadlifts-DO THEM! I have absolutely no regrets about adding deads to my routine, none, whatsoever. I still recommend starting one day with squats and another with deads. But do what works for you, only you know your body. Re: explosive movements, hey-whatever works. I did explosive movements using MAX OT protocol, and it worked great. IF your gains slow, try a slower cadence ... mix it up. Good luck bro.

NFG

thanks

So there is nothing wrong with doing HIT with legs on Monday and upper body on Saturdays?
IT takes me a while to recover after those work outs.

No problem.

I think that is a good split. I do upperbody (no back) on Sundays. (I do do LOWERBACK - e.g. deadlift. I use a total of 7 working sets for everything, and I do legs-including upperback (barbell row, close grip pulldowns) on Wednesdays. Seems to be working for me. Since there is not really any overlap between the two - you should have no problem recovering.

Tell me how your progress is going.
NFG

Top Bottom