Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

is 225 pounds 225 pounds...?

Sometimes you hold back knowing that you have a set of five to do. A set of three will often feel easier just because you know that you only have three to do.

I was told by 1 of my old teachers when i was at school that if you had a long enough peice of something and u stud on the end of it you could lift the equivelant of the earth in like a see saw fashion. Imagine a see saw, if 2 people get on it both the same weight 1 stands near the middle and 1 stands near the end, the 1 standing near the end will lift up the person nearest to the middle. Maybe a simlar principle applies as loads get closer to the end of the bar.
Maybe i'm way off here and just talking jibberish, just a thought.

Introspective said:
I was told by 1 of my old teachers when i was at school that if you had a long enough peice of something and u stud on the end of it you could lift the equivelant of the earth in like a see saw fashion. Imagine a see saw, if 2 people get on it both the same weight 1 stands near the middle and 1 stands near the end, the 1 standing near the end will lift up the person nearest to the middle. Maybe a simlar principle applies as loads get closer to the end of the bar.
Maybe i'm way off here and just talking jibberish, just a thought.
Archimedes, a deep thinker from ancient Greece, said something along the lines of "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the World".

The situation you refer to regarding the see-saw involves moments which relate to forces around a fulcrum or pivot point. It's possible that the spread of weights along the bar is sufficient to alter the stability in a noticable fashion if the lifter has a tendency to push harder on one side.

i think the reason is what introspective and BW pointed out... the lever action being different for the same weights but spread out at 2 different points from the fulcrum. in this case, the fulcrum is point at which your holding the bar. so you actually have 2 levers around 2 fulcrums on either side. the weight spread out probably requires more stabilizer muscle action as a result, hence you find it more difficult.

DZLS said:
this may sound odd, but i think 225 pounds (2 45's on each side) feels lighter, than say a 45, 25, 10, and 2 5's on each side...

on my 5x5, i've been just adding weight to each side, and not bumping up to larger plates...

on Saturday i had to do 225 for 3, and decided to put on the plates, so i could feel "big"... ;) and i did the 3 with ease, but the 220 i did on Monday for 5 reps seemed heavy which i had a bunch of little plates on the bar...

its all in your head

Top Bottom