Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how to keep a chunky chic montivated?

I agree that the motivation must start from within. Having the support of someone who cares does make all the difference in the world, whether a friend or partner(as long as she is able to recognize that support and appreciate it). I've felt like giving up plenty of times, but my husband is very supportive. Just be honest with her and let her know that meeting her physical goals may take more work than she realizes. From there, it is up to her to decide how badly she wants it.

If she's giving up because she feels like she's not making any progress, and she does care, then maybe setting different goals would help. Eg instead of saying "I want a body like Monica Brant's" say "I want to be able to do a chin-up" or squat her body weight or something. Having strength goals helped for me because they're a lot more quantifiable, and also because I noticed changes in strength a lot faster than changes in what I looked like. Also it helps for not seeing your body as the enemy :)

I concur--she needs to motivate herself. You can help by not focusing on her size (that way she won't focus on it as much herself) and concentrate on how much better she feels.

I'm a BFB (Big Fat Broad). I think free weights are great for heavy women. A lot of us weren't athletic as kids. Some got heavy after pregnancy. The nice thing about free weights (and I'm not talking the kazillion reps with a pink dumbbell here) is that you see your improvement every time you can increase the weight, sets, intensity, etc. You see yourself getting stronger. You know that you're getting stronger because your muscles are working. If you're eating right, then you're putting on some LBM, which means your metabolism is increasing.

Also, help her set very teeny, tiny, baby step goals on the way to her first large one. For example, she shouldn't try to lose more than 1 or 2 lbs. of weight a week (I know, I know, there's a difference between fat and weight loss, but stick with me here). Therefore, a good mini-goal is that first 5 pounds. A good medium goal is 10 lbs. A good long-term goal could be 15 or 20 lbs. (I suggest you go with body fat % changes).

Measure her. Sometimes the "weight" doesn't come off, but you will lose inches.

Set goals for improving her lifts, too.

That's all I can say right now--on the way to the gym! Good luck!

Oh, yeah. Get her to read this board if you can.

I totally agree with 2shy...the small goals will really help boost her confidence and make her more determined with the larger goals in the future.

As far as setting goals go...

I've noticed that when I can't "see" the progress on the scale, I have to switch gears and set activity/diet goals. I'll give myself a visual reward, like a stamp on my calendar that represents that I stayed within my caloric budget via exercise & diet.

I know, it may sound corny, but I like seeing a row of little stamps on my calendar...it tells me that I'm on track, even if I can't see the progress on my body...yet!

I tend to hit a plateau within 10 pounds of my goal weight. I try NOT to focus so much on the scale anymore, but I do use it as a guide.

Just an idea...

Yep. Whatever works! I like to take measurements because sometimes the scale stays the same even though the body is repositioning itself. And when I say measurements, I mean all over, not just bust, waist and hips. Those little 1/4" add up!

thanx again for all the help, i think alot of work out becuase we love too! well i enjoy dieting and working out....most ppl do it since they want to look good thats it

Top Bottom