Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help with changing my training program

dbroncofan

Currently I am lifting 4 days a week and doing cardio 5-6 days a week. I am running alot because I am training to run a marathon in 2 weeks. YIKES!!

After the marathon I really want to change my work out to a more muscle building program.
Currently I am 5'2" about 119lbs and 20.5% BF.
I would like to lean out much more, but even with the amount of running I am doing I am having problems with that. I am eating very clean right now. About 1400-1500 cal a day. 45% pro, 35% carb, 20% fat.

My current lifting is using 3 sets of 12-15 reps.

I know that I need to change it up now, but don't know how much to do that. Should I go 4 sets of around 8 reps or has any tried 5 x 5 to build up more?

Also, when changing my weight program how much cardio should I stick with after my marathon is over so I don't burn muscle on long cardio sessions?

Thanks

Once the marathon is over, I would drop your steady state cardio and start doing HIIT 3x a week, in addition to weights. HIIT is done every other day, preferably not in same session as weight lifting.

As far as weights, doing 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps would be pretty good, focusing on the compund movements and not wasting time with tons of the small isolation movements.

Macro breakdown looks pretty good, you might want to add bit more protein and drop carbs a little once marathon is over. Maybe 50/30/20?

I think that weight training is often better for fat burning than cardio.

Usually for most women, the look they want from training can be achieved with more weights, less cardio.

The one thing that is missing for women is intensity, and also covering all the bodyparts, changing your routine on a regular basis.

Would you mind posting your weight training routine?

Thanks for the advice, I am looking forward to changing my routine and not running so much.

Currently alternate Back/Bi, then Chest/Tri, Legs and some abs mixed in during the week.

A sample work out would be....

Back/Bi: (right now 3 sets of 15 reps each)
Wide Grip lat pull down
Hammer curls
Assist chin up
Low cable rows
incline bicep DB curls
upright rows
bent over row

Chest/Tri
Chest press (barbell)
push ups (close or wide arm position)
DB skull crushers
incline DB press
Cable Fly's
Shoulder press

Legs..I am doing light right now because of all the endurance training for the marathon.

Deadlifts
Barbell Squats
Rear and front lunges
leg curls
leg extensions

Abs is usually usually a multitude of things using the big ball and medicine balls.

This is just an example I usually change my routine every other week and then rotate back.

Thanks

Last edited:
My question is why the weights if you are training for a marathon...with a running schedule for a marathon is there enough recovery time for your legs????

The problem is that you will not be able to maintain alot of mass with LONG cardio sessions.....that is why you will really need to lower the cardio way down and focus on the weights.

Thanks...I think that taking a a week break from cardio is a welcome thought right now!

I have lifted my legs even with the training for my marathon because I don't want to lose all the muscle I have previously built and I think that added strength helps me. However, I have been really lifted lightly with so as to not get too sore so I can still run. With that being said it may have not done much good and was not much worth it. I am looking forward to building muscle and drastically cutting down on cardio.

BIKINIMOM said:
Quit cardio altogether for one week after the marathon, then add it back slowly.

After the Marathon:
Generally, it takes a minimum of two to three weeks for the body to recover from the strain of running 26 miles 385 yards. Return too quickly and you increase your risk of injury. Some experts suggest resting one day for every mile you run in the marathon, thus 26 days of no hard running or racing! Others suggest one day for every kilometer, thus 42 days rest. Often the determining factor is not how quickly your body recovers, but how quickly your mind recovers, since you temporarily will have lost your main training goal. Olympic champion Frank Shorter says: "You’re not ready to run another marathon until you’ve forgotten the last one."

The training you do in the three weeks following a marathon should be a near mirror of what you did the last three weeks before: in other words, a reverse taper. Your eating after also should mirror your eating before, since a diet high in carbohydrates can help refuel your muscles as well as fuel them. Here is what to do during Zero Week, the week after your marathon.

Top Bottom