Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me with a new routine

doublek1229

Hey guys... just signed up for this website hoping to get some good advice. I am currently 6'3 215 lbs. Due to my height I still feel skinny although I am pretty strong my maximum bench press is around 300 lbs.

I have been using the same routine forever doing chest/back bi/tri legs/shoulders each on separate days with a day off in the middle before starting the cycle over. I want to be cut, but also look bigger especially my arms and legs! Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

I have been trying to eat healthy (lots of chicken, tuna, peanutbutter) other suggestions would also help.

Thanks for any advice

Hey guys... just signed up for this website hoping to get some good advice. I am currently 6'3 215 lbs. Due to my height I still feel skinny although I am pretty strong my maximum bench press is around 300 lbs.

I have been using the same routine forever doing chest/back bi/tri legs/shoulders each on separate days with a day off in the middle before starting the cycle over. I want to be cut, but also look bigger especially my arms and legs! Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

I have been trying to eat healthy (lots of chicken, tuna, peanutbutter) other suggestions would also help.

Thanks for any advice

Welcome to EF, you have come to the right place....

1st off as far as your workout routine, 2 things;

1-Doing the same routine forever is a no-no. Your body will adapt.
2-Training 2 "Major" Bp's in the same day is not a good idea with your goals. Major BP's being chest, legs, back, shoulders, really everything. A minor BP would be forearms/calves....

Something like this would be better:

Chest
Legs
Arms
off
Back
Shoulders
Off

Post up your diet and cardio routines, age, years training, BF% (if you know it) and I'll help you from there.....

~EZ

Welcome to EF, you have come to the right place....

1st off as far as your workout routine, 2 things;

1-Doing the same routine forever is a no-no. Your body will adapt.
2-Training 2 "Major" Bp's in the same day is not a good idea with your goals. Major BP's being chest, legs, back, shoulders, really everything. A minor BP would be forearms/calves....

Something like this would be better:

Chest
Legs
Arms
off
Back
Shoulders
Off

Post up your diet and cardio routines, age, years training, BF% (if you know it) and I'll help you from there.....

~EZ

Thanks for the help. I just turned 23 years old and I have been lifting seriously for about 6 years.

As for my routines on the chest/back day I would do

Bench Press reps of 10x8x6x4
Either Incline dumbells or bar Usually 3 sets of 8
Flies with either dumbells or machine 3 sets of 8

For Back I think my routine sucks
Usually I just do pulldowns and rows... sometimes I will mix in a machine or two

Bi's Tris

Skullcrushers 4 sets of however many I could get with the weight I chose
The rope on a cable (pulldowns)
dips
and sometimes overheads

biceps
concentration curls
reverse curls
and usually 1 other random exercise

Legs Shoulders

light squats usually 135x10 185 x10 205x10
or
Leg press

calve raises
leg extensions

then shrugs and shoulder press for shoulders....

At the start or end of every workout I usually do a little bit of abs and 10 minutes on a cardio bike (although it probably should be more)

As far as nutrition no particular diet. Like I said I try to eat healthy and high in protein... and I have a protein shake after all of my lifts. I am definitely open to any suggestions on what to be doing for this.

Not sure my % BF... I am definitely in pretty good shape... but don't have an exact number. About 2 years ago I was in my prime lifting I could get 225x16 on a bench press and was squatting in the 300's... but I hurt my shoulder and took about 6 months off from lifting. Like I said it is all starting to come back... but progress has slowed down... and I am looking for a new and better way to do things.

The cut aspect is big... but a little more size would be nice to.

Thanks for the help bro

Thanks for the help. I just turned 23 years old and I have been lifting seriously for about 6 years.

As for my routines on the chest/back day I would do

Bench Press reps of 10x8x6x4
Either Incline dumbells or bar Usually 3 sets of 8
Flies with either dumbells or machine 3 sets of 8

For Back I think my routine sucks
Usually I just do pulldowns and rows... sometimes I will mix in a machine or two

Bi's Tris

Skullcrushers 4 sets of however many I could get with the weight I chose
The rope on a cable (pulldowns)
dips
and sometimes overheads

biceps
concentration curls
reverse curls
and usually 1 other random exercise

Legs Shoulders

light squats usually 135x10 185 x10 205x10
or
Leg press

calve raises
leg extensions

then shrugs and shoulder press for shoulders....

At the start or end of every workout I usually do a little bit of abs and 10 minutes on a cardio bike (although it probably should be more)

As far as nutrition no particular diet. Like I said I try to eat healthy and high in protein... and I have a protein shake after all of my lifts. I am definitely open to any suggestions on what to be doing for this.

Not sure my % BF... I am definitely in pretty good shape... but don't have an exact number. About 2 years ago I was in my prime lifting I could get 225x16 on a bench press and was squatting in the 300's... but I hurt my shoulder and took about 6 months off from lifting. Like I said it is all starting to come back... but progress has slowed down... and I am looking for a new and better way to do things.

The cut aspect is big... but a little more size would be nice to.

Thanks for the help bro

OK, here we go....

1st change I would make is to train 1 body part per day.....and when you're training a certain body part, change up the exercises you do every workout. It looks like you're doing the same thing and you body has adapted. Now size and definition are hard to get together, generally a person has to build up muscle and then shape it. Based on your goal, I would tell you to superset a lot of exercises. Example; chest day; pick 2 exercises (incline barbell and incline flyes) bang out 15 good reps of bar and immediately pick up dumbbells and bang out another good 15. That's 1 super-set. Hit 2-3 more of those and then do the same with 2 more exercises. Then again with 2 more. Do that with other body parts as well. Don't try to use your max weight either, keep it lighter. Train with your head not your ego. You can always switch it up and go with an old school heavy day/week/month.

You can train abs and calves every other day with your major body part for that day.

You are not doing nearly enough cardio. 10 minutes ain't gonna cut it. (no pun intended) Best way to do cardio IMO is 1st thing in the AM without eating.

Diet is THE MOST IMPORTANT ingredient in this recipe. Can you eat every 2.5 hours? Protein should be from lean meats; chicken, turkey, lean beef, egg whites. The George Foreman Grill is your best friend. If you grill the meat you can marinate for some flavor. I usually grill up a couple days worth at a time. Carbs should come from red potatoes, plain oatmeal, brown rice. Good fats from natty peanut butter, almonds, flax. And don't forget the vegetables. Try rotating carbs on a 3 day split like this:

Day 1 Protein/carbs every meal
Day 2 Protein/alternate carbs/veggies every meal
Day 3 Protein veggies every meal (EXCEPT 1st meal and post workout; you need carbs then)
Repeat

You gotta cut out any fast food, pizza, sugar, sodium (frozen foods.) And I know this is tough for a 23 year old guy, but the bar is your enemy if you wanna be lean. You can treat yourself once in a while, but you gotta be strictttttttttttt on diet. Needtogetaas has a great cookbook available.

Also drink water during the day. And while training.

I would also recommend a few supps:
Multi vitamin
BCAA's
Glutamine

Keep disciplined with your diet and don't ego train.

PM me ANYTIME if you have any other questions.

Good luck!

~EZ :garza:

In order to gain size you have to eat and eat alot. There is really no magical way to add alot of mass and still stay with a strict diet unless you are on a very advanced cycle. And at your age you really shouldnt be. I would not worry about being super strict with a diet. When I was your age I ate like a horse and ate anything I wanted and stayed around 13% BF. and did almost zero cardio besides my very physical job. As long as you do cardio and stay active you will not get fat. You have few years ahead of you before your metabolism slows down.
You really need to ad deadlifts to your back routine.
I also disagree with the super sets. I have never been a fan of those and believe you should lift heavy and take adequete rests between each set.
But you do seem very concerned about staying very lean and at 6'3 and only 215 you probably are. But the reality is you will not gain alot of size, strength and weight unless you either chill alittle on you diet or do a good bulking cycle. But a big bulking cycle is still limited on your calorie intake.

OK, let me add a third opinion here...

Monday 20 Rep Squat Routine
Tuesday Bench/Chest
Wednesday DL/upper back
Thursday off
Friday Your pick of 3 exercises with 4 sets that complement any of the above 3 + abs
Saturday & Sunday off

For cardio, its your pick when, but try for 12 miles/week with a pace of no less than 9 min/mile

Eat everything that is not nailed down, and no booze.

B-

Hey everyone that responded. Thanks that definitely helps some... I will do my best to start eating more although I thought I was eating a lot already. Hopefully I can get up to around 225 lbs. Anyways my brother who is younger than me actually just got out of rehab for drinking and to set a good example I havent had a single drink in 6 months... it actually feels pretty good.

I will start on Monday with the new suggestions and hopefully will be able to keep you guys posted on how it goes. Thanks for the advice

Welcome to EF bro :D

I did some quick figures based on your stats and I came up with your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Your BMR is 2203 and your TDEE is 3414 calories. TDEE is the amount of Kcal you need daily just to maintain your current size and this number is based off of a moderate activity level. So, in order to add size you need to be consuming at least 250 calories over your TDEE. That would be around 3700 calories a day. Are you eating this much daily? The only way to know for sure is to count all the calories you eat daily for a week or two. This will give you an idea of what you need to improve upon. I would use a web site like Fitday.com to track what you eat. If you are serious about gaining size then you will do this.

As far as training programs are concerned I would say something along the lines of the intermediate 5x5 routine would be perfect for you. This includes all the basic tried and true lifts that will help build a solid foundation, strength, and of course size. You can find all the info you ever need on the 5x5 in this forums Training Vault sticky. I suggest you read Madcow's training theory and training primer in the 5x5 section of the training vault.

If you need anything feel free to PM me at anytime.

Top Bottom