Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Have I become a powerlifter? What defines a powerlifter?

Why would you need a spot then? No one deadlifts at my gym (except me) so I haven't seen this.

Anyway, I'm not a powerlifter, but I love the big compound moves and am more interested in strength, so I train in a powerlifting style. As Slobberknocker says, I'm just lifting weights.

Vulgar_Display_Of_Power said:
Whats wrong with missing a DL every once in awhile-It builds character. Im afraid if some guy comes up and bear hugs me from behind(and tries to call it a spot) he better have his life ins policy paid up.

sounds like to me you have the same fuckin mentality brotha...i remember doin the 525 for singles on bench and the guy spots me w/o permission!! if he hadn't of listened to me on that third single..i would of ripped him a new colon....tb

red_evil said:
i have to get behind(pun intended) VDOP on this one. watching the guys at the gym spot each other on DL is about the most rediculous thing i've ever seen. it's about par with spotting on rack lockouts. IMO you either get it or you don't. if you miss....you suck it up, and try harder next time.

:devil:

fuck yea..that's how it should be..NO FUCKIN SPOTTIN ON DEADS!!! its a fuckin cardinal sin!! tb

I wouldn't say you have to compete to be a bodybuilder. After all you're simply building your body. Powerlifter would be more arguable (if you could be a powerlifter without ever going to a meet). If I ever compete it will be raw lifting. I lift for the thrill that I'm doing 100% of the work, with no support gear. I don't necessarily care about competing with others, I compete with myself.

Yeah I never quite agreed with the "you have to compete" to call yourself a bodybuilder. So does that mean if I hopped on stage now with my uber washed out quasi-bloated physique and hit a double bicep pose in some periwinkle speedos I would be considered a bodybuilder? I don't know but that just doesnt seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. I think bodybuilding (sorta like Debaser said) is a lifestyle/method of training regardless of competitive desire IMO.

Last edited:
thebrute said:

sounds like to me you have the same fuckin mentality brotha...i remember doin the 525 for singles on bench and the guy spots me w/o permission!! if he hadn't of listened to me on that third single..i would of ripped him a new colon....tb

Aint that the FUCKING truth!!!

BlkWS6 said:
Yeah I never quite agreed with the "you have to compete" to call yourself a bodybuilder. So does that mean if I hopped on stage now with my uber washed out quasi-bloated physique and hit a double bicep pose in some periwinkle speedos I would be considered a bodybuilder? I don't know but that just doesnt seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. I think bodybuilding (sorta like Debaser said) is a lifestyle/method of training regardless of competitive desire IMO.

Thats my view as well. No need to have to prove myself to anyone and play by someone elses rules.

BlkWS6 said:

slobber just meant that for powerlifting not for bodybuilding. i think it would be a different case for bodybuilding but not for powerlifting..to be called a powerlifter you have to compete..just like a knight being sired!! PERIOD!!:) TB

WalkingBeast said:

Thats my view as well. No need to have to prove myself to anyone and play by someone elses rules.

IMO, if you don't compete, you're just lifting weights. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I think it's the competition that really defines what you are.

i have to go back to slobber post..even though i think it meant it towards powerlifting but competing does define who you are but it also exposes your flaws that you can improve on in training. bodybuilding its different so i agree with ya but being a powerlifter is something that earned...not given! tb

Top Bottom