Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Emphasis on benchpress

Eric1987

Why do all the logs I see people not try to go big with bench? I see like their goal is maxing near 250. Is it me or is that not very hard to obtain? I am a small guy when I was able to do that pretty easily I weighed 165-175 and 5'8". Am I missing something? Or is it just my personal preference getting in the way?

250 bench is novice level. If they don't want to advance passed novice then let them do what they want. I don't understand it either. For what it's worth, I think deep down we all want a 500 lb bench press.

I think 250 is a reasonable short term goal if you aren't benching 250 yet. Setting a 500 pound long -term goal is fine, but I'd rather set a short term goal for 350 and watch it come to life in the next year. People who are naturally good at benching will get to 250 quicker, some will bench 250 nearly untrained, and some might struggle for a year to get there. In the end the important question is if you are progressing and doing everything possible to break through plateaus.

3 plates is solid for someone under 200 pounds. guys 225+ 4 plates is solid in my view.

if i see a guy who is 250 pounds doing 3 plates i'm not impressed, but a 180 pound guy doing it is pretty damn impressive. IMO.

I USED to do that no problem. I was about 170 too. I would do around 10 reps of 225. I view as anything above 300 is pretty good. Anything below that is meh imo. Why do you guys think bigger guys should be stronger in bench? Curious as to the answers thats all.

Bigger guys should be stronger on the bench because they are bigger, and therefore carry more muscle, which in turn means they should be push more weight than a lighter person...

Obviously a generalization. Training will make or break this.

^^^^ THIS. and weightlifting competitions have weight classes for a reason. i will tell you as a former powerlifter if i didn't make weight and had to compete in the class above me I was in big trouble. so 5-10 pounds make a huge difference. the idea is to be in your weight class with half a pound to spare.. during the week we would stay 2 pounds above where we needed to be.. then before the meet we would wear a sweater and run to shed those 2-3 pounds away... you learn how to eat when you compete believe me. back then i figured out quick to stay away from cake, ice cream, all dairy or i would fail to make weight ... then after weigh in's eat a lot of nutritious foods to nourish the body.. banana's, apples, maybe some chicken/turkey

Top Bottom