Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench press vs dumbells

chiefwiggum

I'm new to this forum and I'd appreciate any help. I hate bench press and I always top off at about two plates. I've tried drop sets, negatives, low volume, all kinds of shit. However, I can go quite heavy on dumbells for good reps with good form. By only doing dumbells am I missing out on something benchpress would do. Any reasons why. I guess the question is, can I get as big with the dumbells as I could if I lifted heavy barbell bench press.

Thanks

wiggum:fro:

when doing chest I mix up my routine. One week I do the bench next week I do dumbells and sometimes I use the smith machine too.

chiefwiggum said:
I'm new to this forum and I'd appreciate any help. I hate bench press and I always top off at about two plates. I've tried drop sets, negatives, low volume, all kinds of shit. However, I can go quite heavy on dumbells for good reps with good form. By only doing dumbells am I missing out on something benchpress would do. Any reasons why. I guess the question is, can I get as big with the dumbells as I could if I lifted heavy barbell bench press.

Thanks

wiggum:fro:

Thanks mike, but still, can I get as big using dumbells or should I keep trying to do flatbench

Naw dude flat bench sux. Not only can you get as big with the dumbbells as you can with the bar you can get bigger. Because the range of motion is more. Also it is alot easier on your shoulders than the damn flat bench bar.

Keep using dumbbells and you will blow away the bar users with strength and size imho.

assuming you are using proper form, use whatever works for you.
your body doesn't know the difference between the two. it isn't like your muslces are saying "mother fuck, the bench again? shit, I'm not gonna grow unless he uses dumbells"
if you aren't gaining from something reevaluate something in your routine. either weight, reps, intensity, diet, something. change it up until it works.
the fact that you can go up in dbs and not in bench makes me wonder what you are doing in bench differently.
try switching to decline bench, that focuses more directly on your chest. or go to incline.

there are tons of things you can try - try them until you see some results. once you do, keep doing that until you stop seeing results. once that happens, change shit around again.
not rocket science.

It always worked for me to let go of the bench totally for about three weeks. I would just do heavy incline and flat dumbells. When I would come back to benching my max was always improved dramatically. Give it a shot, it worked for me.

HappyScrappy said:
assuming you are using proper form, use whatever works for you.
your body doesn't know the difference between the two. it isn't like your muslces are saying "mother fuck, the bench again? shit, I'm not gonna grow unless he uses dumbells"
if you aren't gaining from something reevaluate something in your routine. either weight, reps, intensity, diet, something. change it up until it works.
the fact that you can go up in dbs and not in bench makes me wonder what you are doing in bench differently.
try switching to decline bench, that focuses more directly on your chest. or go to incline.

there are tons of things you can try - try them until you see some results. once you do, keep doing that until you stop seeing results. once that happens, change shit around again.
not rocket science.

Thanks scrappy, Im working out in about two hours and it's chest day

incline dumbell1 warmup 12
1x70/80/90x10

Incline fly
no warm-up
1x40x10
1x50x10
1x60x10

Flat flyes supersetted with peck deck
1x40x10
1x50x10
1x60x10

Any suggestions
thanks
wiggum

dumbells are excellent for size. I'm a powerlifter so of course I use a barbell. I use dumbells as an assistance exercise.

I am convinced that barbell bench press is mainly delts and tris, though its the no 1 ego exercise for me, I always finish off with dumbell flyes and cable x overs.

Top Bottom