Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Back Width vs. Back Thickness????

Hmm..this sounds like a good idea...seperate the rows from the vertical type pulling movements...I work back 2x a week but I just vary the workout a little with the rows....
Here is a routine I would use if I did this

Width
Weighted Pullups
Lat Pulldowns(wide grip)
Parallel Grip(aka V bar) Pulldown
Nautilus Pullover Machine

Thickness
Rack Deads(or regular deads, I just prefer these)
BB Rows
DB rows
maybe a cable row or other machine row
rear delt work

InTraining said:
Hmm..this sounds like a good idea...seperate the rows from the vertical type pulling movements...I work back 2x a week but I just vary the workout a little with the rows....
Here is a routine I would use if I did this

Width
Weighted Pullups
Lat Pulldowns(wide grip)
Parallel Grip(aka V bar) Pulldown
Nautilus Pullover Machine

Thickness
Rack Deads(or regular deads, I just prefer these)
BB Rows
DB rows
maybe a cable row or other machine row
rear delt work

I hammer my back 2x a week thickness and width on both days

Bent over rows
Wide grip weighted chins
and then either close grip pull downs or seated rows..

My back still isnt that great... but it never really started to grow until I started smokin it 2x a week....

JKurz1 said:
Anyone train back 2x week, one for width and one for thickness????? Routine? :chomp:

i do actually

day 1

bb rows
close grip t bar row
close grip rows - i might try the ones that casuall posted about

day 2

rack deads - they should be on the other day, but w/e
wide grip pullups or pulldowns
close grip pulldowns

they are trained about 3 days apart

mon\chest back width abs

tues\legs calfs

wed\off

thurs\shoulders back thickness traps abs

fri\bis tris calfs

all done on a 5x5 routine with a little more volume added to everything except back since I hit it 2 times a week. Its going good except for Ive had to slack off of everything latley because we are in the middle of a big remodel at the gym and I got suckered into doing all the drywall and painting. btw, if anyone has ever done drywall how in the hell do you do that shit right? I DO NOT know how to drywall. And to all the bros that work construction AND bodybuild, I commend you my friend because I am having a hard time just eating right let alone getting my workouts in. I dont know how youall do it

I see where your coming for Jkurz, but IMHO, there is so much overlap between exercises for width and for thickness that you really can't seperate them that much.

i.e. You can sit there doing wipe grip chins all day for width, but thickness is bound to accompany it.

or -- you can do db rows all day long, and your still gonna get a wide back.

Bottom line IMO -- there is way to much overlap to bother with seperating them -- by doing this your basically training back 2 x per week.

psychedout said:
IMHO, there is so much overlap between exercises for width and for thickness that you really can't seperate them that much.
I agree with Psychedout on this one. Actually... you cannot seperate them at all. The Lat muscle is one distinct muscle unit and contracts as one distinct muscle unit and one cannot contract one area of the lat more than another area of the lat simply by doing chins or rows. It contracts as a whole unit regardless of the movement....aka....all or nothing.

you guys are missing the point. Your lats dont comprise all of your back. Your mid/lower traps, teres and lats are all active to different degrees with rowing and pulldowns/ups. Rowing have more of an effect to the mid/lower traps, pullups being more intense on lats.

Good point about the width vs. thickness thing.....maybe I should have titled my post "horizontal pulling" and "vertical pulling" as that is basically what I am doing....I like this idea though and I'm going to try it out....

Top Bottom