Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone up for a challenge???

nope.....remember - you are moving you TOTAL bodyweight through space.....

the pounds of lbm PLUS the pounds of fat = actual weight in motion.

So - the lean mass is PART of the equation....but so is the fat.

Make sense?

the lbm BURNS cals at rest.

fat adds to the "resistance" during cardio........10 pounds of fat = ten pounds of lean body mass = ten pounds in a backpack = all 10 pounds

I understand the whole "moving through space" thing - but muscle is more metabolically active - so someone with more muscle will burn more calories than someone with less muscle. Right?

So if two people are doing cardio and are at the exact same weight (but different BF%) a basic cardio machine will say the EXACT same number of calories burned in both people ...... but in reality, the number is different due to different metabolisms.

Daisy_Girl said:
I understand the whole "moving through space" thing - but muscle is more metabolically active - so someone with more muscle will burn more calories than someone with less muscle. Right?

So if two people are doing cardio and are at the exact same weight (but different BF%) a basic cardio machine will say the EXACT same number of calories burned in both people ...... but in reality, the number is different due to different metabolisms.

Not really.

The metabolically active angle only applies at rest.....while fat isnt "active" - it is active resistance when the body is carrying it around all day.

Think of it like this:

Two people can have the same LBM..lets say lbm = 150 pounds.

One weighs 175

One weighs 200

the lbm is the same - but the active weight being hauled around during the cardio is 175 and 200 pounds.

They will actively burn different cals/minute when active.

It's also why all listing for # of cals burned are usually based on a WEIGHT of 150 pounds and one is to adjust accrdingly to bodyWEIGHT not LBM.

.......another thing to think about.

Two people....same age...weight and bodyfat.

one adds a backpack of 15 pounds during cardio.......

who burns more cals??

The Shadow said:
.......another thing to think about.

Two people....same age...weight and bodyfat.

one adds a backpack of 15 pounds during cardio.......

who burns more cals??

ahhh. this helped me understand better.

so - 2 people (weighing the same), one w/high BF and one with high muscle mass will burn the same during cardio, but the person with more muscle mass will burn more calories after - and while at rest.

the-short-one said:
ahhh. this helped me understand better.

so - 2 people (weighing the same), one w/high BF and one with high muscle mass will burn the same during cardio, but the person with more muscle mass will burn more calories after - and while at rest.

the short answer:

YES

the-short-one said:

This is what I was assuming when I posted originally. I always think of a caloric burn while working out as a 24 hour a day thing ...... Since looking at the number on the machine as the "end number" is not reliable. Which is why I also posted the 2 people were at the same weight, but diff BF% (and ultimately, of course, diff LBM numbers).

But you bring up an interesting thing - if there are 2 people with identical LBM #s but different *overall* weight ... the person who is "heavier" will burn more calories. Makes sense.

Daisy_Girl said:
Since looking at the number on the machine as the "end number" is not reliable.

why isnt it??

It uses the bodyweight as the main variable.....everything is calculated from that.......it uses the weight and THEN factors in speed and incline.

Beuller??

No one??

Damn....I thought someone would want to prove me wrong on this one

Top Bottom