Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone Think Leg Press Is Harder On L. Back Than Free Squats?

About a year ago I was doing leg presses, and all of a sudden I felt a pop in my lower back. Well I couldnt move, I crawled out of the press, and tried to sit myself up. I knew I screwed up something, was just hoping it wasnt serious. Well it turned out to be a pretty bad herniated disk in my lumbar. For about 4 months after that I had severe sciatica which is horrible pain that radiates down into my calf. Some nights I would stand in the middle of my room unable to make it to my bed it hurt so much. Started going to a chiropractor, didnt do shit, then started PT, which helped alot. Was painful, but it really helped. Now Im back squatting on smith machine, not very heavy, but I stay away from the leg press. Even when Im squatting Im nervous, cause I still feel a slight pain in that region. Cant do extensions either, really hurts my back when I put my body in that position. All I can say is be careful, because you do not want to go through what i had to, it really, really sucked!!

I've heard that the squat is an all around better exercise for your legs rather than the leg press (that is if you don't have physical problems performing either) and that they read a study recently that showed squats rather than leg press induced the body to increace the body's natural growth hormone levels vs leg press... anyone heard anything on this?

What you heard concerning the squat is true. Basically if you are not performing the squat and deadlift you are totally shortchanging yourself both on juice and naturally. These lifts pack on more size than all the other crap combined.

People use the LPress when they think squating is too tough or the LP is easier on the back. Easier on the back is a fallacy. The machine at my gym even has a rounded pad at the bottom to encourage a rounded lower back. Stupid ass design. I'm very cautious with it and use only light weight which also helps not to aggrevate my bad knees.

Top Bottom