Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone Think Leg Press Is Harder On L. Back Than Free Squats?

Heavy deep squats are pretty tough on the lower back. I don't find leg presses to be that bad on my lower back at all, but I adjust the incline on the back rest to support my back better. SLDL's and DL's are the toughest on my lower back.

Maybe its an individual decision on this- for me free squats are out of the question, while I can still do hack and leg press- who knows why- maybe I never did free squats properly- they will kill you if you dont have perfect form-tomo

I have been known to thrown my lower back out every once in a while, so I am quite sensitive to this issue.

Here is the thing:

When the pressure is applied correctly, aligned directly with the spine, things are fine. When you apply lateral pressure across the (lower) spine - then you are asking for trouble.

Lets put it this way. If a squat is DONE CORRECTLY - then the pressure is actually pushing right down into the spine, you lower back and glutes help pull against the back part of the spine, and the pressure is one that simply compresses your lower back. That does not hurt me all that much.

Now, if I do leg presses, this is different.

Now, hold on, there ARE different leg press machines. The one I am thinking of is such that you sit in it, and your hip is bent. Like, say you are sitting on the floor, your legs make an angle with your torso. Aboput 90 degrees.

Now, most leg press machines hold you at less of an angle.

Some hold you at a zero angle. You are laying down stirght. Thats almost like a squat. Thats fine.

But when you use the machine that puts an angle into where your legs meet your hips - then that can cause problems.

See what I mean?

The biggest problem with this is that, well, first, that angle itself is placing a laterla stress across your lower back. By lateral, I mean, a stress which is NOT up/down on it, but pusehs it in a front/back manner.

What is WORSE is when guys sit at these machines and do NOT keep their ASS pressed ALL the way into the seat. They sorta "recline" a bit. That seems to "feel" more intense. You are calling your back and abs a bit into play, BUT you are placing a stres on your lower spine!

Got it?

So, what I do is:

Squat.

Then if I do use a leg press machine, I either use one which keeps me stright (almost like a squat), or I make sure to use one which place my butt and legs in such a position that I feel like amost NO stress pushing against my lower spine.

And that works for me.

And yes, I know my typoing sucks. So, just read slower. LOL

Hope that helps.

BTW Frackal - what is with that pic man? Is that you? a chick? whats with the X'd out crotch?

Is that "this is me - I have no dick".

or "this is my chick, and you cant get to her snatch?"

Or :this is an ungly chick, and everyone should stay away from this".

LOL

Dude, I am not trying to slam ya, I just keep looking at that pic and going "what the hell is THIS?" Plus, I cant tell if its a dude, a chick, you, someone else, or what!

It's my chica....not her fav. pic but I like it...and the red X = NO FUCKING. (except for me of course)

leg presses vs squats

It depends on your form and the machine. We have Nebula machines (35 and 45 degree). The 35 degree sled is far easier on the lower back. I train older clients with low back problems (fused vertebrae, etc) and they can leg press but not squat. The key is to keep the ass pinned in the seat with all the force absorbed by the hips/glutes; don't go beyond a 90 degree bend with knees and control the descent of the weight. Anytime the hips come off the seat and the contact point becomes the lower back rather than the hips/glutes, you're in trouble. Some leg press machines, for example our 45 degree sleds are not designed properly and will cause problems regardless, either knee and/or back. Make sure you stretch, esp. the hamstrings before you work legs. Tight hams will put a strain on the lower back.

W6

i dont know about it being hard on the back, but this is the exercise i blew out 2 quad muscles on. running sust and dbol, and got a little ahead of myself, took 4 weeks of intense therapy before i could even walk around without help after the surgery. took 2 guys to pull the weight back up. thank god for those pins , or that amount of weight would have crushed my pelvis and chest.............................:mad:

peace bb79

After 2 back surgerues, 60 cortizone injections, and 4 epidurals, my back is somewhat fucked....So I had to play around with alot of different things to find a happy medium...

I have found that front squats on the smith machine forces you to use very strict form, and I have had no problem with it at all...and my weight has jumped to around 315lbs. for sets of 6....hard on the delts, but I love them

Riker brings out many valid points, and for me, the leg press is low weight, and ass stays in one place...there was a time when it was knees to chin for every rep...no more

Hack squats pose no major probs for me, and I use the Quantum seated leg curl maching....

Just experiement with various weights, and exercises to find what helps, and doesn't hurt....in the end...

It's all Good....

Ranger

Top Bottom